Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Veltman Injured?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Milner wasn’t that bad - loads of players were off the pace tonight and credit must be given to AEK. They were superb.

That said, Veltman is streets ahead of anything else we’ve got in the position and is consistently superb. I am not sure why he didn’t play tonight, he’s one of our best players.
We have a big squad that needs to be rotated. We can only play 11 at once.

Personally I'm content.

However, there was a big Dunk shaped hole missing from the heart of the side.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We will not win a single game this season against any decent side, with James Milner in our defence.

The bloke simply can’t run.
Nonsense, you have a blind spot with Milner I think.

He tracked back in the first half with the game scoreless and made a majestic sliding tackle in the box. In fact in the first half he was the only one of our defenders doing his job properly.

The bottom line is that he is a squad player with experience and is worth his place in our squad, but RDZ underestimated AEK and made far too many changes like this.

How many times had Igor played with JPvH? How many times had Fati played with Pedro? It was arrogant bollocks team selection.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nonsense, you have a blind spot with Milner I think.

He tracked back in the first half with the game scoreless and made a majestic sliding tackle in the box. In fact in the first half he was the only one of our defenders doing his job properly.

The bottom line is that he is a squad player with experience and is worth his place in our squad, but RDZ underestimated AEK and made far too many changes like this.

How many times had Igor played with JPvH? How many times had Fati played with Pedro? It was arrogant bollocks team selection.
Yes, I remember. The winger rinsed him, but he managed to get back and make a last ditch tackle to concede the corner. That they scored from.

(not that I’m suggesting that goal is on him - that’ll be JPVH for passing the ball straight to them in the first place, plus Mitoma for switching off at the set piece)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, I remember. The winger rinsed him, but he managed to get back and make a last ditch tackle to concede the corner. That they scored from.

(not that I’m suggesting that goal is on him - that’ll be JPVH for passing the ball straight to them in the first place, plus Mitoma for switching off at the set piece)
The winger didn't rinse him. He tried to use his pace to beat him but as you agree, Milner ensured he got nothing more than a corner. No cross or shot forthcoming - job done.

Mitoma was caught not knowing which of 3 unmarked players to mark. And yes JPvH caused the whole problem there . He was gash in the first half along with Igor.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The winger didn't rinse him. He tried to use his pace to beat him but as you agree, Milner ensured he got nothing more than a corner. No cross or shot forthcoming - job done.

Mitoma was caught not knowing which of 3 unmarked players to mark. And yes JPvH caused the whole problem there . He was gash in the first half along with Igor.
and indeed, the second.
like having two f***ing TREES at centre back.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

That was Mitoma’s worst game for Albion by some distance

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
West Ham and Athens common denominator - Milner at right back. I’m not saying it’s the only reason for both defeats but it played a big part. Milner, great pro and squad player, is no where near good enough to play for a top 6 team out of position at right back in the PL or in Europe.

It’s why I was banging on about signing a right back all summer. If Veltman is not fit enough to play that much or RDZ doesn’t rate him as much as we do then surely we needed a replacement? As good as Lamptey was going forward against Utd from LB, he showed his defensive shortcomings again last night and there is still a concern about his long term fitness.

Just don’t understand why we didn’t bring a RB in, it seems such an obvious hole in our squad. Would also free up Veltman to play at centre back when needed.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I'm surprised at CB we picked a debutant and a 23 year old with not a lot of games under his belt for such an occasion. I would've preferred Veltman, or even Webster, alongside one of those. JPVH had a shocker in the end, unfortunately, and probably should've been replaced for a more experienced head.

If you look at my Championship Manager 97/98 pedigree you'll realise I know what I'm talking about.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
If we had of known our injury/unavailable situation prior to this fixture, I don't think we would have been nearly as confident.

Pedro is a real handful but maybe needs to take the simple option in build up a little more.

We can maybe cope with one of Solly or Mitoma being a bit off form but not both. Adringa to start on Sunday.

Our set pieces, both attacking and defending, need work. What was Solly doing with that free kick?

Athens were agressive, physical and were at us for the full 90+ minutes. Credit to them and their fans.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here