Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is This Right (Advice Please)?

el punal

I have a Mazda CX-5 which is fitted with Goodyear tyres all round. In the last few days my ‘on board computer!’ stated that it was time to rotate the tyres front to rear. I booked my car in to a recommended tyre service outlet to have this done. I was told this could be done for free and they would check the alignment as well. The only cost would be if the wheel(s) alignment needed adjusting. This proved to be the case and I was going to be charged £47. The staff member who was dealing with it said he would only charge £40. Fine, I said, go ahead.

When it came to settle the bill the same person then said it was £47 as they had to add labour costs. I didn’t argue and paid that amount.

The following day I drove on the motorway and on reaching 50 - 70 mph the steering wheel was shuddering badly - wheel balancing at fault was my immediate thought. I phoned the tyre establishment that did the original job and complained about the problem. Bring the car in was the reply. Fair enough, they corrected the fault. Then informed me that for the wheel balancing the charge was £15. I protested and told the manager about the misleading charge on my original visit. He stated that when you change wheels there is a possibility that the wheels could be unbalanced. To ensure good will he waived the £15 charge.

So my point is this : Should the establishment have been up front and explained that there could be a likelihood of problems with wheel alignment and balancing when swapping front and rear wheels, and point out the costs involved?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would have thought that the garage would automatically balance them when rotating the tyres - as it's a standard recommended thing to do alongside it. Poor from them really.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have a Mazda CX-5 which is fitted with Goodyear tyres all round. In the last few days my ‘on board computer!’ stated that it was time to rotate the tyres front to rear. I booked my car in to a recommended tyre service outlet to have this done. I was told this could be done for free and they would check the alignment as well. The only cost would be if the wheel(s) alignment needed adjusting. This proved to be the case and I was going to be charged £47. The staff member who was dealing with it said he would only charge £40. Fine, I said, go ahead.

When it came to settle the bill the same person then said it was £47 as they had to add labour costs. I didn’t argue and paid that amount.

The following day I drove on the motorway and on reaching 50 - 70 mph the steering wheel was shuddering badly - wheel balancing at fault was my immediate thought. I phoned the tyre establishment that did the original job and complained about the problem. Bring the car in was the reply. Fair enough, they corrected the fault. Then informed me that for the wheel balancing the charge was £15. I protested and told the manager about the misleading charge on my original visit. He stated that when you change wheels there is a possibility that the wheels could be unbalanced. To ensure good will he waived the £15 charge.

So my point is this : Should the establishment have been up front and explained that there could be a likelihood of problems with wheel alignment and balancing when swapping front and rear wheels, and point out the costs involved?
I would suggest that they should indeed point this out. But to be fair they appear to have acted in good faith by waiving the charge. Not exactly crime of the century.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Never heard of rotating wheels but I must say life’s too short to get stressed about a £15 charge that at the end of the day is for your safety . If it was an extra £500 maybe you might have a point.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If it’s a Mazda MX5, I’d just buy a new set of these

The skateboard wheel hardness scale

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have to swap my tyres out for winter ones every year. Getting the wheels balanced is a separate, optional service which I can choose to pay extra for.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Wouldn’t it have been easier to offer them a free haircut for their labour?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If your tracking is fine. tyres should wear out evenly (more on the tyres that 'drive' front, rear or all 4) and these will need replacing more that those tyres that 'don't drive'. Unless you bounce off kerbs all day (maybe a driving instructor :lolol:) a good garage should check your tracking at your service and adjust (and charge), if required.

If any tyres are replaced they will need balancing, but I've never known this not to be included in the price of the tyre.

The real answer, is find yourself a good garage who are trustworthy and don't use various big name companies who spend huge amounts advertising the price of their tyres, MOTs etc. (Or dealers who are full of 20 year old spotty trainee mechanics and that includes Range Rover, BMW, Audi, Jag etc).

Hope this helps :wink:

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Wheel balancing is the same regardless of which corner of the car you decide to stick them on. You probably lost a weight off the wheel when switching.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Wheel balancing is the same regardless of which corner of the car you decide to stick them on. You probably lost a weight off the wheel when switching.
This.

Wheel balancing is done off the vehicle so it shouldn't matter in which corner they are returned at least not on a standard road car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here