Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Is any subject taboo when it comes to jokes?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Respect your opinion Thunder Bolt but f k me , I would literally hate to be you and offended by everything. Your head must be shredded daily , hourly , constantly.

Take it you dont have lad mates ?

That's respecting my opinion? :laugh::laugh:

Now that is funny/

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Completely missing the point.
:rolleyes:

Would you object to a card laughing at rape being sent to a rape victim? After all, it's only a joke.

I’m afraid it’s you that is missing the point. In the scenario you describe above, it is the act of communicating with malicious intent that is the issue.

Scenario 1: The sender was ignorant of the recipient’s history. The upshot is likely to be that any form of friendship is broken, and that’s on the sender for a really poor/thoughtless choice that they’ve made. Just one reason why I suspect such cards aren’t readily available at Clintons.

Scenario 2: The sender was fully aware of the recipient’s history and sent the card with intent to cause the recipient hurt. That’s where the Malicious Communications Act (1988) comes in. An offence has been committed, we already have a law for that. (You’d hope a crime commissioner might know this)

The offender is not the card’s designer or publisher, but the scumbag that sent the card to someone with the intent to hurt them. Had the same joke had been written freehand on paper, and sent in the same manner, would you join a clamour to ban writing paper or pens?

Yes, tasteless greeting cards are a thing. Where you’re sure they’ll be appreciated by the recipient, they’re all to the good.

Banning things because somebody has been hurt by them, or could be reminded of prior trauma, would lose us every single advance made by humanity (including the wheel). I hope this helps to clarify just how ludicrous your argument is, but I have a weird feeling you’ll come back with something. I feel I’ve done my best here, I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I’m afraid it’s you that is missing the point. In the scenario you describe above, it is the act of communicating with malicious intent that is the issue.

Scenario 1: The sender was ignorant of the recipient’s history. The upshot is likely to be that any form of friendship is broken, and that’s on the sender for a really poor/thoughtless choice that they’ve made. Just one reason why I suspect such cards aren’t readily available at Clintons.

Scenario 2: The sender was fully aware of the recipient’s history and sent the card with intent to cause the recipient hurt. That’s where the Malicious Communications Act (1988) comes in. An offence has been committed, we already have a law for that. (You’d hope a crime commissioner might know this)

The offender is not the card’s designer or publisher, but the scumbag that sent the card to someone with the intent to hurt them. Had the same joke had been written freehand on paper, and sent in the same manner, would you join a clamour to ban writing paper or pens?

Yes, tasteless greeting cards are a thing. Where you’re sure they’ll be appreciated by the recipient, they’re all to the good.

Banning things because somebody has been hurt by them, or could be reminded of prior trauma, would lose us every single advance made by humanity (including the wheel). I hope this helps to clarify just how ludicrous your argument is, but I have a weird feeling you’ll come back with something. I feel I’ve done my best here, I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

case closed your honor

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I had already made the point of context earlier in the thread.
Sending a stalker card to someone being stalked is part of the crime. It is threatening.

People choose to go and watch a comedian. The vast majority know what to expect.

Sending a card, which is persona, and arrives at your home uninvited, is completely different as I suspect most posters in this thread realise, but choose not to.

If either of these points was correct or relevant we'd ban the sale of kitchen knives immediately. After all, they have caused many deaths.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here