Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Summary of the Olympic Stadium and what it’s done to West Ham

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Don't think the ground itself is the main problem for West Ham fans. It's the remote soulless location of Stratford and the fact theres nothing else around bar a shopping centre. Knocking it down and building a new ground wouldn't solve that.

Well, it's got more around it than the Amex has. Very few teams have proper, right in the hub of the city, grounds.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wow! That's some weighted survey, heavily weighted to get the 'right' result - could have been the perfect model for anyone who wanted a second ... err .... cough ..... survey!

Well it's clearly a bad piece of information gathering.

But you can't ignore that only 5% put against under any circumstances.

Now consider what would have happened had Belotti put exactly the same questions to Brighton fans in 1996

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Totally agree bar the last 2 words.

There's absolutely nothing stopping us from having the bestest atmosphere in the universe, other than ourselves.
It's got nothing to do with the team and everything to do with the thousands of supporters, like me, who are last to join in and not first.

Very true. Look at some of the dreadful grounds around Europe that have amazing atmospheres, often without even a roof. The Amex has a crap atmosphere because of the people that go there. No other reason.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Very true. Look at some of the dreadful grounds around Europe that have amazing atmospheres, often without even a roof. The Amex has a crap atmosphere because of the people that go there. No other reason.

But people need something to blame other than themselves. Like there's some fundamental part of the design of the stadium that is stopping them from singing. Nope, it's because you're a middle class, middle aged, popcorn guzzling, half and half scarf wearing, spectator who needs to take a bit of responsibility yourself, rather than looking at everyone else. Drink 6 beers in the morning if you need, just get off your back side and back your team.

(that was aimed at the populace Commander, not you specifically)

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I don't understand, when WHU are getting gates around 59000, that's more than many top clubs, why have they no money to spend on better players.?
I get that top players want to play in Europe, but even so........

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't understand, when WHU are getting gates around 59000, that's more than many top clubs, why have they no money to spend on better players.?

I think one of the reasons is that transfers/wages are now so high and gate money is now, relatively speaking, a much smaller percentage of a PL club's income. So it doesn't make a significant difference.

Obviously it does make some difference, but if you blow 30mil on a rubbish signing that's a lot of bums on seats needed to get that back

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I think they are spending quite a lot of money on players. They've got a top 10 wage bill. Just not top 10 players

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But people need something to blame other than themselves. Like there's some fundamental part of the design of the stadium that is stopping them from singing. Nope, it's because you're a middle class, middle aged, popcorn guzzling, half and half scarf wearing, spectator who needs to take a bit of responsibility yourself, rather than looking at everyone else. Drink 6 beers in the morning if you need, just get off your back side and back your team.

(that was aimed at the populace Commander, not you specifically)

Yep, 100%. People used to say the atmosphere at Withdean was crap purely because there was no roof. Now it's because of a design flaw in the Amex. Absolute nonsense, it's down purely to the demographics of the area, and the people that attend the Amex these days.

Apparently safe standing would suddenly make all these people sing their hearts out for 90 minutes too. Yeah, OK then.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Highbury, The Boleyn, two grounds full of character traded for something much less. The yanks get it right with their modern build but retro look baseball stadiums.

I think that the two cases are significantly different.

Arsenal's fan issues are all rooted in the cost of a home ticket. The price those fans pay to watch a bang average PL side is ludicrous and has led to an air of expectancy in the support. You win; nothing to get excited about, lose; get angry and think it is a waste of money. I grew up not far from Arsenal and still quite regularly get given tickets (this used to happen at Highbury also). The area hasn't changed too much, and unlike the emotive post on KUMB, the street food vendors and the majority of pubs still stand and are all run by the same people.

West Ham on the other hand - you have to feel for (to some extent... they're still West Ham). They've traded in a pretty proud existence for an opportunity to go bigger on the cheap. I have sat in the West Ham end for a couple of non-BHA games and have to say it is a pretty depressing experience. Once passionate fans seem to have had all the joy and life sucked out of them.

Perhaps most importantly though, it would've really helped cushion the transitional blow between grounds if they hadn't have been so consistently crap. Just seems to compound the hammers despair.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sing from the start of a song
Sing it like you mean it. Properly belt it out
Sing it to the end
People will join you
Get your phone in your pocket and keep it there
That excuse for not getting stuck in which has just popped into your head. It's not a real reason. It's just your laziness and inertia. Ignore it.
Watch your team until the end of the game
Clap them off the pitch after. You don't have anything better to do somewhere else. You actually don't
Don't let any of the above be affected by performance or result. It's just another laziness excuse

West ham will be in meltdown just like here on Saturday if they were to lose and vice versa..,all week on talk sport the game on sat is their must win as their fixtures after are bleak. Last night on sports bar the same in fact Jason Cundy reckons it's the only game he can see them winning out of next 5 or 6. It's the Brighton game they simply have to win. And most seem to think that we're a pushover wonder why they think that??!! Let's hope we get THE result we need.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Of course the advantage of the London stadium is that should we start well enough for the home support to turn toxic nobody on the pitch will notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here