Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Igor , Dahoud and Fati. What an absolute waste of money.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I don't disagree with you analysis of his flaws, but he was a panic signing when we couldn't get Colwill. He's not on the same level of disappointment of Fati is he, and not someone I'd write off as "a complete waste of money". He should've been a backup CB, but injuries meant he played more than he should've.
This.
If the transfer fee was £17m, we maybe overpaid by a few mill. He is not a disaster signing, going by the Locadia scale.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fati's overall contribution was hugely disappointing. He wasn't responsible for yet another injury, but the rest was down to him. Before people completely write him off his contribution in the Europa League was significant and we may have been in an even worse place without taking a punt on him. Enciso started the season brilliantly and his long term injury cast a huge shadow, especially as the alternatives were also getting crocked.

Dahoud looked to me like part of the Wilkins dynasty. Nice passer of the ball but a little lightweight in a modern midfield. It was a little strange he wasn't given more time to adjust and that one just looks like an RDZ call.
Dahoud and Fati may have made little impact on the pitch, but they probably did a lot of damage to the Bloom/RDZ relationship.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
unfair on Igor. He's not the finished article but I like the guy and the potential is there. We definitely need to keep him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
unfair on Igor. He's not the finished article but I like the guy and the potential is there. We definitely need to keep him.
You look at him though and there are two problems. At full back he's going to get done for pace and at centre back he's going to get done in the air.

He's calm on the ball and is quite likeable. But I think attackers quite like the idea of being up against him.

If all central defenders are fit, he's my clear 4th choice

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Mostly agree with this.

The frustrating thing about the club's strategy is this magical future squad thats going to be incredible in a season or two, it's all a bit 'Jam tomorrow'. It feels like it's never actually going to happen and we're forever going to be a club of very high unrealised potential because we'll sell all the good players off before we can ever achieve anything.

Generally speaking, it's working for us, but I'm not so convinced Bloom will ever want to spend the money to get us to the 'next level' (which is pretty much RDZ's point). He's already sunk a lot into the club as it is.
I dunno, last season (and the first part of ths season) and being in Europe has felt like pretty solid helpings of 'jam today' to me. I'm saying it looks.like there may be more to come, with a bit of patience.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Dahoud and Fati may have made little impact on the pitch, but they probably did a lot of damage to the Bloom/RDZ relationship.
Do you think so? It is unrealistic to expect everything you try to come off. I would be really surprised if TB was really hung up on this point. I think it was more telling that the entire entourage were still living out of suitcases. There is little point in giving a manager the players he specifically wants, if the next manager is going to inherit players, who may not be wanted and are difficult to move on. This is even more important if you don't believe the incumbent is committed to staying around.

I think we were really fortunate to get De Zerbi and his entire coaching team when we did, pariculalry as the transition went so well. This is the best time to be recruiting a new management team. We will have the best pick of what is available and they will have a full pre season to prepare.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Do you think so? It is unrealistic to expect everything you try to come off. I would be really surprised if TB was really hung up on this point. I think it was more telling that the entire entourage were still living out of suitcases. There is little point in giving a manager the players he specifically wants, if the next manager is going to inherit players, who may not be wanted and are difficult to move on. This is even more important if you don't believe the incumbent is committed to staying around.

I think we were really fortunate to get De Zerbi and his entire coaching team when we did, pariculalry as the transition went so well. This is the best time to be recruiting a new management team. We will have the best pick of what is available and they will have a full pre season to prepare.
If we accept that Fati and Dahoud were flops, and go along with the speculation that they were RDZ-initiated signings.
Then that may have lead to Bloom losing faith in RDZ‘s judgment on incoming transfers.
Which in turn may have led to Bloom being unwilling to match RDZ’s spending ambitions.
Equally your idea that they never planned to stay long is also possible.
We may only know when Tony writes a book.

I agree with your last paragraph although would have preferred RDZ to stay.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Every time I watch Igor I just think of how much better Colwill was in exactly the same LCB/LB position, and Cucurella before him. We were truly blessed.

Igor's reluctance yesterday to pass quickly to a wide open Barco was very frustrating, he just doesn't have the natural vision of a top, ball-playing centre back. Maybe that will improve as our line-up settles next season and they get more used to one another with no Europe and (hopefully) fewer injuries.

As for Fati and Dahoud, good riddance. Right up there with fellow flops the DJ, Kemy Agustein and Leon Best.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Igor's reluctance yesterday to pass quickly to a wide open Barco was very frustrating,
It was very odd. I think he chose not to, because he would have to change his body position to play the ball (quite a simple pass really) with his left foot. So he continually looked inside where he could clip it into midfield on his left without breaking stride.

To contrast, Webby had the chance to play a line breaking pass with his weaker foot 4 times yesterday. He backed himself and made 3 out of the 4, on the last occasion injuring himself

el punal

One of RDZ's legacies. Rubbish.

Lesson learnt for next manager stick to the formula and don't allow someone else's recommendations !!
Why don’t you get your crystal ball out, do your Mystic Meg bit, and tell everyone who we should or should not sign. You’ll be an invaluable asset to the club, you never know you might end up as Head of Recruitment. Aside from that let‘s realistically look at RDZ’s legacies. I’ll start with the club’s highest ever League position, our first ever European campaign, considered to be the most entertaining footballing side - I could go on but to be honest you said it - rubbish.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You’ve got to hand it to that bloke.
He looked done - another rich, arrogant footballer who lost his way.
To make his way back to the top table is pretty amazing.
Yes fair play to the lad and arguably should be on a plane to the euros. Would be better than Henderson anyway.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Igor - I like.
Dahoud - Cost nothing, allegedly selling for €9m. Good business.
Fati - only a football illiterate wouldn't have wanted him. Worth a punt, but never recovered his progress after his injury here. An incredible marquee signing to put Brighton on the European map, but ultimately a punt that failed.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Igor - I like.
Dahoud - Cost nothing, allegedly selling for €9m. Good business.
Fati - only a football illiterate wouldn't have wanted him. Worth a punt, but never recovered his progress after his injury here. An incredible marquee signing to put Brighton on the European map, but ultimately a punt that failed.

Who is buying Dahoud for €9m? I haven't seen anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here