Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] I didn't come here for a lecture in Communism

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry Stat, what's that got to do with communism?

good point. communism didnt really give a fig for sustainability, wasn't an issue for Marx and Engels.

this is evironmentalism. its nice ideals but what are people willing to give up for this lifestyle. motor vehicles (including electric), flying, plastics, central heating, phones and computers, houshold appliances?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry Stat, what's that got to do with communism?

good point. communism

It's a often used quote potentially originated from Tony Hancock in The Blood Donor sketch.

I believe it's used (and I certainly do) as a comedic rebuttal to some 'broad stroke' ideology.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The real question is how do you get there?

There are really only two ways.

A free people who discover for themselves the neccessity of taking responsibility and then who live their lives with that in mind, setting a good example to their neighbours while respecting the fact that their neighbours too need to discover these things for themselves, and attempting to assist in that with respectful attempts to convince, using civil debate and discussion, involving listening to one another and holding respect for the individuality and autonomy of all people as something neccessary of vigilant protection, understanding that all of what is needed cannot be properly achieved without it.

Or a totalitarian system, where a central group of authority figures decide what is required by all and ensure it with force. Where people do what is required not because they understand and have integrated it's neccessity, but merely because they fear the repercussions of disobediance. Where you shame and marginalize and stigmatize your neighbours if they are not on the same page, where debate and discussion is scolding and doesn't involve listening, rather it involves shouting louder than the other person. Where indiviuality and autonomy is the enemy, in the belief that uniformity is the only means of achieving what is neccessary.

We have accepted the former and rejected the latter.

Let's keep it that way please.

If you think that what we actually have at the moment is the former, you are seriously deluded. In many ways you could say our current situation is closer to the latter.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
[SUP][/SUP]
Agree, let’s keep it that way. Unless I can be the totalitarian leader

When I was doing A level Latin (grammar not private school) we had a teacher who would often just spend a whole lesson in discussion about something. One day it was forms of government. We decided that:
1. The best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship.
2. There is no such thing as a benevolent dictatorship.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The real question is how do you get there?

There are really only two ways.

A free people who discover for themselves the neccessity of taking responsibility and then who live their lives with that in mind, setting a good example to their neighbours while respecting the fact that their neighbours too need to discover these things for themselves, and attempting to assist in that with respectful attempts to convince, using civil debate and discussion, involving listening to one another and holding respect for the individuality and autonomy of all people as something neccessary of vigilant protection, understanding that all of what is needed cannot be properly achieved without it.

Or a totalitarian system, where a central group of authority figures decide what is required by all and ensure it with force. Where people do what is required not because they understand and have integrated it's neccessity, but merely because they fear the repercussions of disobediance. Where you shame and marginalize and stigmatize your neighbours if they are not on the same page, where debate and discussion is scolding and doesn't involve listening, rather it involves shouting louder than the other person. Where indiviuality and autonomy is the enemy, in the belief that uniformity is the only means of achieving what is neccessary.

We have accepted the former and rejected the latter.

Let's keep it that way please.

It's actually looking more likely that the second will happen way before the first unfortunately/

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
good point. communism didnt really give a fig for sustainability, wasn't an issue for Marx and Engels.

this is evironmentalism. its nice ideals but what are people willing to give up for this lifestyle. motor vehicles (including electric), flying, plastics, central heating, phones and computers, houshold appliances?

It's more than 'nice ideals' though, isn't it.

It is harsh reality.

We are living beyond our needs. Currently at the expense of other people, other people's children and other species. But ultimately at the expense of our own children (or their children, depending on how much of a buffer of wealth and privilige they have).

We change or we accept the consequences.

But we don't have to 'give up' all those things, that is just the nonsense we are told by the people that don't want change because they think they are 'winning'. We have to do some things less, some things different, play nice and share.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I didn't come here for a lecture in Communism

And I certainly didn't expect The Spanish Inquisition.
Come on, somebody's got to do it!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you think that what we actually have at the moment is the former, you are seriously deluded. In many ways you could say our current situation is closer to the latter.

Our tradition and current framework is the former.

The latter sure is creeping up on us though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It's a often used quote potentially originated from Tony Hancock in The Blood Donor sketch.

I believe it's used (and I certainly do) as a comedic rebuttal to some 'broad stroke' ideology.

" I didn't come here for a lecture in Communism " ( Tony Hancock )
" I happen to be a Conservative " ( June Whitfield )
" Then kindly behave like one " ( Tony Hancock )

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Man with nothing is against capitalism. Shocker.

I mean, he is quite correct but he hasn’t offered an alternative.

Unfortunately, capitalism will be the last model us humans see. It’s gone far too far and we are making ourselves extinct. There will be no magic breakthrough that saves our race. Because there’s too many people that profit from capitalism and too many ignorant people who simply don’t care about the environment.

Some people can’t even put a mask on for twenty mins to save the lives of people in their own community!! Imagine relying on people like that to pull together in order to save people they will never meet.

I won’t be here obviously, but I’d be genuinely surprised if the human race is still here in a hundred/hundred and fifty years.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The disease and cure of human existence summed up in 44 seconds.

[tweet]1287660088497451008[/tweet]

He looks like me on a good day, and sounds like me on a very rare eloquent day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is this about all philosophers.

‘it is not whether we are right but how we make people feel that matters‘

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here