Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How transfer sell-on clauses typically work

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Surely transfer clauses work in a way they're designed to in a contract.

So it could be a % of the future transfer fee, it could be a % of profit, the % could change year on year as the player gets longer into their contract, the % could change depending on which club / league they've sold to (ie higher if selling to another PL club vs a European team), could increase based on what competitions either club are playing in, could be lump sum or installments etc....

It could basically be anything. Without seeing the deal sheet itself, no one outside of Brighton and Chelsea execs will ever truly know.
So to re-ask my question from posts 7 and 13 in this thread, how then will it be enforced that Chelsea pay the correct amount if/when they sell him ? If the contract between them and the buying club is confidential then what are the safeguards for BHA ? Or, come to that, the current safeguards for Independiente. Surely for this to work all contracts need to be lodged with a central body ? The FA, FIFA ? Perhaps they are.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
So to re-ask my question from posts 7 and 13 in this thread, how then will it be enforced that Chelsea pay the correct amount if/when they sell him ? If the contract between them and the buying club is confidential then what are the safeguards for BHA ? Or, come to that, the current safeguards for Independiente. Surely for this to work all contracts need to be lodged with a central body ? The FA, FIFA ? Perhaps they are.
Not sure if contracts are (I'm assuming they are, or at least with the PFA in case of disputes?) but the deal sheet would be with the FA and the information would be on there.

What might happen is say if Chelsea sell Caicedo and one player to another team at the same time, and the Caicedo fee is artificially lowered and the other increased to avoid sell on clauses from selling Caicedo. Probably happens quite a lot tbf to get around stuff like this.

In hindsight we should have sold Sanchez for 115m and Caicedo for 25m!!!! (I jest).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not sure if contracts are (I'm assuming they are, or at least with the PFA in case of disputes?) but the deal sheet would be with the FA and the information would be on there.

What might happen is say if Chelsea sell Caicedo and one player to another team at the same time, and the Caicedo fee is artificially lowered and the other increased to avoid sell on clauses from selling Caicedo. Probably happens quite a lot tbf to get around stuff like this.

In hindsight we should have sold Sanchez for 115m and Caicedo for 25m!!!! (I jest).
I saw Chelsea fans online at the time alleging that the £25m for Sanchez included such an inflated element in order to save Brighton a few bob on the Caicedo sell on. I’m guessing they are not saying that now he is their number 1 keeper and they have obviously stitched us up as he is worth £75m of anyone’s money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here