Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How racist were albion fans in the 70's

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Absolutely. It was wrong, racist and severely crossed the 'banter line'. But it was, at that time, consider acceptable by most including those in authority. Thankfully as a society we now know better.

I was trying to point out the irony that whilst we all agree that there is no such things as acceptable racist banter it seems most people think that homophobic 'banter' is. This suggests that we have learnt nothing from the past. Also I suspect one day there will be a similar thread discussing with incredulity that homophobic chanting was acceptable in the early 2000's.

Personally I can no longer see any defence for any chanting that is designed to cause offence to another.

What rot. The gay chanting would only be offensive if there were loads of gay supporters to be derided at Albion games. I know there are some gay supporters but they are a very small percentage of our fans.

The difference is that Black people are clearly black and that is the one and only reason for the abuse...we have learnt long ago to deal with the gay chanting with humour and back atcha retorts.

Do you think it is offensive to call palace supporters pikeys? They clearly aren't travelling folk so it's just banter, are all Scousers on the dole? Clearly not but it is common parlance that they are all on JSA. Cardiff and Swansea fans probably don't shag sheep anymore...but hey, there's no smoke without fire eh?

If you want your football experience to be conducted in polite company with no insult hurling you should get a seat in ESL. It's
Like a morgue in there all the time.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What rot. The gay chanting would only be offensive if there were loads of gay supporters to be derided at Albion games. I know there are some gay supporters but they are a very small percentage of our fans.

The difference is that Black people are clearly black and that is the one and only reason for the abuse...we have learnt long ago to deal with the gay chanting with humour and back atcha retorts.

Do you think it is offensive to call palace supporters pikeys? They clearly aren't travelling folk so it's just banter, are all Scousers on the dole? Clearly not but it is common parlance that they are all on JSA. Cardiff and Swansea fans probably don't shag sheep anymore...but hey, there's no smoke without fire eh?

If you want your football experience to be conducted in polite company with no insult hurling you should get a seat in ESL. It's
Like a morgue in there all the time.

Why is it, in your opinion, acceptable to discard the written laws and unwritten laws of a decent society when its at a 'football experience? Homophobic abuse is abuse whether there is one person on the receiving end or 'loads' of people.

I have read your line "Black people are clearly black and that is the one and only reason for the abuse" a dozen times and simply cant get my head around it. Because someone doesnt have "i'm gay" tattooed on their forehead does that mean they are immune to abuse and have no feelings?

No doubt those indulging in racist chanting in the '70s at the Goldstone would have pointed me to the west stand because its part of the 'football experience'.

Do you REALLY mean what you said?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Northern is not really a race though. Sheepshagging too is more of a lifestyle choice than an ethnic grouping. Boyfriend and pikey are pejorative but considered witty asides.

If you took all of those lighthearted abusive terms away we would be left critiquing each others hairstyles or dress sense and then we would be Swiss.

Football would be far less rewarding were it not for bigotry and loathing.

Pikey is considered a racist term.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Remember it well..... Scuffling in the aisles after catching up with some mouthy Herbert's who dared to challenge our right to be a public nuisance........ silly behaviour, generally much regretted.

Blimey I remember that , that was in the gardening department downstairs .Didn't a greenhouse get deglassed after interfacing with a flying Norwich fan ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Blimey I remember that , that was in the gardening department downstairs .Didn't a greenhouse get deglassed after interfacing with a flying Norwich fan ?
I was on the stairs holding off a security guard and a 'singing' canary with a certain JS who we all remember..... dammit, its happened again, drawn back into it,.... no more.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I remember there being an investigation into racism at The Goldstone due to all the "Sieg Heils" coming from the terraces only for the allegations to be dismissed as it was determined the chant was actually "Sea-Gulls"

As a youngster I went to a few games & whilst in the north stand clearly saw the salutes & heard the chants of "Sieg Heil". Being down from London I was somewhat shocked & very disappointed that the team I supported had supporters who endorsed this but it was rife at the time & a Chelsea game I attended was far worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here