Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] How "open" is Brighton on a cold Sunday in December?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There used to be an ice rink on the nudist beach as well until the guy running it had his assets frozen.
I’m sorry to hear that, it is never nice when a small business fails. I hope the gentleman was able to bounce back and try another venture. It does seem a strange business decision though to open an ice rink on a nudist beach. After all, nudism is fairly niche - as is ice skating - so to find people specifically interested in doing both is a tough sell.

Oh. You mean his bollocks.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
I did not get a chance to answer here yesterday, but thank you all so much for your replies, seems there's hope for Christmas yet! For some reason my wife took issue with all my gift shopping taking place in the Amex gift shop last time around, go figure :)
The ice rink in front of the Royal Pavilion is open from 09.30-21.30 every day for food, drink, and skating.
Probably a bit of a busman's holiday for a Swede, though...

"Busman's holiday" was a new phrase for me! It's now been googled, memorised and added to my arsenal. Nice one!
Are you related to our previous regular Swedish poster

It's not the first time I've gotten this question when posting. There are 10 million of us Swedes at the moment, so sooner or later you're bound to come across two of us who aren't related ;) I actually think Cygnetboy was an often hilarious (and almost always effective) windup merchant while it lasted, but it left a very sour taste in the mouth when he showed an extremely ugly side of himself there at the end.

So no, I'm not sitting alone smoking weed surrounded by pizza boxes watching 7th tier Albanian football right now. But considering tomorrow's deadlines at work, I almost wish I was.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Hi. I'm headed to Brighton for my second ever visit to the Amex this weekend. I'm thinking to do some Christmas shopping in far-away exotic England, and I'm just curious how open shops are in the city centre on a Sunday? Business as usual or lanes filled with tumbleweed?

Also, if anyone's interested in grabbing a pint before or after the Burnley game with a relatively well-behaved 44 year old Swede, feel free to drop me a pm.

Cheers
It will be absolutely packed pre-xmas. All shops and bars and restaurants open

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I did not get a chance to answer here yesterday, but thank you all so much for your replies, seems there's hope for Christmas yet! For some reason my wife took issue with all my gift shopping taking place in the Amex gift shop last time around, go figure :)

"Busman's holiday" was a new phrase for me! It's now been googled, memorised and added to my arsenal. Nice one!

It's not the first time I've gotten this question when posting. There are 10 million of us Swedes at the moment, so sooner or later you're bound to come across two of us who aren't related ;) I actually think Cygnetboy was an often hilarious (and almost always effective) windup merchant while it lasted, but it left a very sour taste in the mouth when he showed an extremely ugly side of himself there at the end.

So no, I'm not sitting alone smoking weed surrounded by pizza boxes watching 7th tier Albanian football right now. But considering tomorrow's deadlines at work, I almost wish I was.
No, no, no.

Acceptable if you’re posting on an American SM SITE; for a UK one ‘had’ is much better.

Like our erstwhile fellow Swede, you have astonishingly good English (hence the correction) - Bravo. You also seem more, balanced…

Have fun in Brighton.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
No, no, no.

Acceptable if you’re posting on an American SM SITE; for a UK one ‘had’ is much better.

Like our erstwhile fellow Swede, you have astonishingly good English (hence the correction) - Bravo. You also seem more, balanced…

Have fun in Brighton.
Ha, I stand corrected, and "had" sounds much better indeed :)

Yeah, I believe Swedes in general speak English pretty well. Not because the education is better than in other European countries, even though most Swedes like to think so, but simply because we use subtitles for TV shows and films, rather than dubbing them. I believe the Dutch do the same, and they speak fantastic English in my experience.

On the other hand it means that we spend most evenings flipping channels between British, American and Australian shows (not to mention Bollywood detective stories getting more popular), so unless you've actually lived in an English speaking country for some time, it's damn near impossible to stay consistent and keep track of all your cookies, biscuits, lifts, elevators, pants, trousers, deserts and puddings.

And thank you for calling me more balanced than Swansman. Not a very high bar, but I'll take it! :D

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
And thank you for calling me more balanced than Swansman. Not a very high bar, but I'll take it! :D
Congratulations! You've won the Gimme Some Truth badge for NOT being a "schizophrenic, egocentric, paranoiac prima donna".

Only 5% of posters win this award!

Share in your signature so that all your friends and correspondents can see you're probably a rational human being.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, no, no.

Have fun in Brighton.
We also have Swegulls, and I know of another Swedish Brighton supporter who doesn't post on here but has been a fan ever since he went to Sussex University decades ago.
They all have good English which puts us to shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here