Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much is Dan Burn worth?

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I think someone made a similar point on another thread but I’d be very surprised if any of our players (Bissouma aside) walked into another Prem team and played at the level they do for us.

The system(s) Potter has them comfortable playing and the relationships they have with each other has a huge impact on their playing level. I would say that Burn is probably the best example of this. If he was thrown into that Newcastle team, you’d see a very different player to the one we’ve seen recently.

I was thinking similar. Just like any place of work you only perform at your best when you are happy with your working environment, your colleagues and your employer. It's very rare you get all of that and I doubt very much that will be recreated there.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Duffy's dream move didn't work out once away from the Amex and even Ben White has taken time to settle and didn't look great at the beginning of the season (and I don't think there was ever any doubt that he is going to be seriously good).

I do worry for Dan that he is moving as a result of a few weeks at the absolute peak of his playing career, will get absolutely no time to settle in, and could have the crowd on his back very quickly :(

As for club of the strange naked people who don't speak English, they can go f*** themselves.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Duffy's dream move didn't work out once away from the Amex and even Ben White has taken time to settle and didn't look great at the beginning of the season (and I don't think there was ever any doubt that he is going to be seriously good).

I do worry for Dan that he is moving as a result of a few weeks at the absolute peak of his playing career, will get absolutely no time to settle in, and could have the crowd on his back very quickly :(

As for club of the strange naked people who don't speak English, they can go f*** themselves.

If they want to get on Dan's back they'll have to bring their own ladders.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The only position Burn was good at was a CB in a back 4. He has Dunks injury to thank for getting opportunity to shine in that position and among these 7 games he did 2 outstanding man to man jobs on Lukaku which brought him to peoples attention.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Saw a tweet from the Newcastle equivalent of Naylor yesterday saying Burn is commanding in the air....now don't get me wrong he's been great this season but his worst attribute by a long way is his heading ability in my opinion. Because he is tall people assume he's great in the air.

£13m is a decent bit of business. We're not struggling for centre halves and I never liked him playing full back anyway. Wish him well and I hope Newcastle start pulling away from danger. Appreciate many others won't feel the same about that final comment given their owners now but it's a great club, with great fans in a great city. Best away day in the prem by a country mile. Oh and I've got a oner on them finishing in the top 10.

el punal

These are points I alluded to in earlier posts. BDB is really stepping into the unknown with this move despite Newcastle being his home town club. Apparently, according to some reports, he was third choice for the position up for grabs. So much will be expected of him which will add further pressure.

As you have stated, the similarity to Duffy’s move to Celtic is revealing. Duffy joined a team that was falling apart with no cohesive support as he would have got at the Albion. I feel history will repeat itself with Dan at Newcastle - I hope I’m wrong for his sake. I can’t, however, say the same for his loathsome employers and their deluded supporters.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Newcastle, and their fans, and have always wished them well. Since the mercenary takeover though my disdain at their sordid conduct in all football matters has grown by the day. I hope they get relegated if only to prove that money doesn’t buy you everything.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect his true value was a lot less than £12 million but Newcastle had to pay the Saudi premium and the January transfer window premium. Too good a price to turn down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These are points I alluded to in earlier posts. BDB is really stepping into the unknown with this move despite Newcastle being his home town club. Apparently, according to some reports, he was third choice for the position up for grabs. So much will be expected of him which will add further pressure.

As you have stated, the similarity to Duffy’s move to Celtic is revealing. Duffy joined a team that was falling apart with no cohesive support as he would have got at the Albion. I feel history will repeat itself with Dan at Newcastle - I hope I’m wrong for his sake. I can’t, however, say the same for his loathsome employers and their deluded supporters.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Newcastle, and their fans, and have always wished them well. Since the mercenary takeover though my disdain at their sordid conduct in all football matters has grown by the day. I hope they get relegated if only to prove that money doesn’t buy you everything.

And the previous owner was a complete cock.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, Newcastle have been.

Our third choice left wingback or fifth choice centre back for much of his tenure, he always gives 100% and has the odd really good game (City in the 3-2, the Chelsea game that spawned this thread).

But Potter has used him very specifically and if he were not left-footed he might have been shipped out a lot earlier than he was. He'll be exposed time and again by a poor Newcastle midfield and Smeddie will play him in a rigid formation that will get the worst out of him. As soon as he's outpaced a couple of times their crowd will get on his back.

Brilliant against a (pissed off and out of form) Lukaku? Yup. But remember what Adama did against him for Wolves?

... but good luck, Dan, and thanks for everything!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In answer to the question: an undisclosed amount...

... which might be in the region of £12.5m/£13m and potentially with add-ons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here