Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many subs were you allowed in the late seventies?

I remember one supersub appearance (although without ginger hair, but he did have a moustache), was Gerry Ryan's right back role in the '83 cup final, having come on for the injured Chris Ramsay (Norman Whiteside, you wakner!) He played an absolute blinder and looked a natural in that position. Worst mistake Jimmy Melia made in the replay was not to keep Gerry in that role but instead move the left footed Steve Gatting to right back.
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• scan0042.jpg
    scan0042.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 42

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The only mistake in the cup final was bringing Foster back for the replay.

Ah yes. Reminds me that Albion fans were always the same - it's not just NSC that brings out the experts who have the benefit of hindsight. Foster was a lynchpin of the side and everyone was devastated when he picked up a suspension for the first match.

As soon as we lost the replay, Melia was an idiot for playing him.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
From TSLR late-2011:

Wow! What a start to the Amex era. As someone Tweeted, I keep thinking I’m dreaming and will wake up on a train to Gillingham! Just when we think Gus can’t do anything more amazing, he does – Vicente a signing in a different class! I had to chuckle a bit, though, when Gus complained about the FL change from 7 to 5 subs. It got me thinking back to the days of the #12 solitary sub (no, even I’m not old enough to remember no subs). Some managers would only use them if a player was so badly injured they couldn’t walk. Or as a last desperate attempt to rescue a game. So invariably the sub was an attacking player of sorts, although I remember Eddie Spearritt being given the job when dubbed a ‘utility’ player (age 9, I thought this meant he washed the kit).
The sub generally sat around on the bench in a scruffy tracksuit, smoking or picking his nose and was only allowed to warm up 30 seconds before the manager chucked him on. However, I remember 3 players in the ‘70s who made a proper contribution to the cause from the bench. The first was Gerry Fell who ran down the wing like a horse in full gallop and had a shot like a mule. He suffered in the Chicken Run’s affection stakes by unseating local boy Tony Towner but nevertheless won the crowd round with wholehearted displays and 20 goals over a 4 year period of mid-70s ascendancy for the Albion. The second was Eric Potts who I banged on about last month but the third and (in my mind) most prolific sub was Malcolm Poskett.
Malcolm had impeccable North Country (as my Mum used to say) credentials. Born in that bastion of polluted deprivation, Middlesbrough, he failed to make the grade with his home-town club nor initially at glamorous Hartlepool and spent time working on the North sea oil rigs . So you’d think he’d be eternally grateful to be paid to pick splinters out of his ar*e in the relative balmy climes of the South Coast. But no, just because he wasn’t a regular starter he lodged transfer requests hither and thither at a time when, hindsight suggests, a successful side wasn’t always a happy side under Mullery’s volcanic leadership.
He is entirely forgiven, though, for one pre-Xmas 1978 afternoon at a then semi-decrepit Valley when a second half hat-trick clinically destroyed Charlton and lifted the stripes into a top 3 position they would not relinquish that season. It was fitting that Poskett once more occupied the dugout at Newcastle, the 5th of May that season: the same dugout that a fresh faced 16yo (it was my birthday) was proud to clamber on and salute the conquering heroes alongside the reputed 10,000 Seagulls fans present, most of whom stormed the main stand at St James’s. I fell asleep on the Special train home and the feeling I had waking up was not dissimilar to current post-slumber thoughts. Pinch me Gus, I must be dreaming, and don’t worry too much about the subs.

PG

Bunch of softies! I remember the day when there was no such thing as substitutes. If you got injured you played on, usually got stuck out on the right wing. This happened in two or three F A cup finals - Bert Trautmann even played in goal with a broken neck in one of them!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
[ Ipswich under Bobby Robson became a major force.

Ipswich_Coppa_UEFA_1980-81-squad.jpg

]

I can name that Ipswich squad (wellmost of them) off top of my head. Couldn't tell you any of their current crop apart from Chopra.

Robson, Wark, Osman, Cooper, Butcher, Muhren, Steve somebody
Theissen, Gates, Mills, Mariner, fat bloke off tele Brazil

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here