Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How Many Car Parking Spaces at The Amex?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
With The Uni and the Bridge Car parks how many spaces are there for match days?

Thinking about the new “Match Day experience” when they do open the stadium up to limited numbers of fans, how many cars can the stadium accommodate?

I personally don’t fancy the train or park and ride much with this virus and living just under 30 miles from the stadium it’s one hell of a bike ride away.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With The Uni and the Bridge Car parks how many spaces are there for match days?

Thinking about the new “Match Day experience” when they do open the stadium up to limited numbers of fans, how many cars can the stadium accommodate?

I personally don’t fancy the train or park and ride much with this virus and living just under 30 miles from the stadium it’s one hell of a bike ride away.

We mulled on this a few days ago. Across The Bridge, the university(ies?) and Bennetts Field (given there won't be a full complement of 1901ers) there should be decent capaoity, particularly if people are able to fill a car with 4 or 5 people, subject to social distancing/bubbles etc.

Paul Barber was asked and paraphrasing he said something like...

If we operate at 10% of capacity we'll be fine, 20% it probably wouldn't and at 30% we'd have no chance.

I think he also said that the club were seeing what they could to to further expand car park capacity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If they banned 4x4 with one occupant then that would free up quite a few spaces.

So how are the fans stuck in the middle of nowhere supposed to get to the ground?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is the university taking students back before Xmas? If not then there should be loads of parking spaces available, possibly more than we’d need too.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
2100 according to a recent planning application. They are obliged to provide a minimum of 1500 and maximum of 3000 spaces.

Parking.PNG

So they could provide an additional 900 without falling foul of any planning conditions if they can find them. I know they have attempted to gain permission from Southern Water in the past to use their car park without success.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just remove the restrictions in the surrounding area. That’s too easy though.

I think Southern Water might be a bit more amenable to helping out on a temporary basis given the circumstances.

Although the agreement with Sussex Uni is for 1100, I think there are probably more available on that site too. I suppose the council might consider some limited parking in Stanmer Park on a short term basis.

I think all these options should be considered before any relaxing of the matchday parking restrictions in local streets.

I am not sure that lack of parking would be a big issue initially.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There are also the other "pop-up" parking places on the farm, the farm shop and some other properties around the area.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Reckon between the Universities they could squeeze in another 100 or so cars though that might mean a 10/15 minute walk to the Amex. Given the current economic climate I could see the Unis being open to more revenue in any shape or form. Another option is Stanmer Park car parks just by the entrance which could probably take another 50 cars in total. Just need an enterprising farmer with a field on Woodingdean/Falmer road to open up and charge £10 a car.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If it was fixed price per passenger might encourage more of the larger cabs, six/eight seaters to make the trip out, encourage cab sharing and shift larger numbers quicker

That's not really a good idea though. Social distancing won't happen in a cab and anything more than 4 is unlikely to be a family group, so it would encourage unwise mixing in a confined space, surely prime Covid breeding opportunity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's not really a good idea though. Social distancing won't happen in a cab and anything more than 4 is unlikely to be a family group, so it would encourage unwise mixing in a confined space, surely prime Covid breeding opportunity.

Your reasoning applies equally to a packed post-match train tho shirley or even the packed QUEUE for a post-match train. Any notion of social distancing will go right out the window

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here