Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How Brighton became the Premier League’s leading talent factory (TheAthletic)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Can anyone see a championship club paying Connolly’s wages and a loan fee (possibly) for what might be little return? It might be a good move for a championship side but also a risky one.

Yes. Of course, Championship clubs will sign him for sure. He's a good young player with all sorts of potential with Premier League experience and International experience with Ireland.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One would hope so.

ATM those 'coming through the academy' are outnumbered by the young player bought in - (I feel the need to say again, for fear of the Criticism Police) because that's how it should be right now through the development cycle.

White and Sanchez came in as 15 (?) year olds while the paint was still wet on the walls.
Lavante and Southampton had done a lot of work with them, work that at the same time was finally being invested with Albion kids considerably younger.

So it shows the pathway is there and we've got to feel confident about the future.

Worryingly a little too confident.
I still can't get my head around being so casual about 'yeah let's cash in on Bissouma - the scouting and youth set up can cover him'.

A generational talent I've waited 45 years to see in The Stripes and I'm already moving onto the next one up.

I think like you say there seems to have been a trend in recent years towards buying young talent and putting them in the development squad. Which isnt the same as developing players from kids. But I've aslo heard Potter say about the first team that one of their approaches is to buy young talent who aren't ready yet but have a lot of potential, and then bring them up to speed.

It seems to me that there are two systems in place for the young players and that they work alongside each other. As I said in my previous post, it may be that we're perhaps not quite at the level yet where we're churning out academy products every year, but we're getting closer every season. Its always been a long game.

In terms of Bissouma you're not wrong, he is a fantastically talented player and I hope we dont let him go, but if he were going to go Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd or even Real Madrid I think we'd have to let him go. Its not a case of simply saying, 'the scouting and youth set up can cover him', its more a case of we have to let him go if an opportunity like that came up. Obviously we wouldn't sell him to Leeds or Everton but, one of the big clubs we would. If thats the case, what do we do to get a replacement? Everyone will hold us to ransom because they know we'd have money to burn.

Have you ever watched 'Sunderland till I die', there's a great example there of how they get held to ransom when trying to buy a replacement player. I think our approach with signing young players with potential is so that if we have them in place already nobody can hold us to ransom. It gives us the ability to walk away if clubs start quoting stupid money, because we won't be desperate.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
IMG_0103.jpg

Let’s not forget JP Molumby’s contribution to this statistic

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes. Of course, Championship clubs will sign him for sure. He's a good young player with all sorts of potential with Premier League experience and International experience with Ireland.
I agree with the potential can just see a stumbling block on the reported £30k a week wage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here