Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Home security systems (diy).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have been looking into getting a system for our house.
Mainly a DIY version.
The Blink system seems to look ok, and there are others on the market.
Please can NSC recommend 'AN other' or had any dealings with the Blink system.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Have been looking into getting a system for our house.
Mainly a DIY version.
The Blink system seems to look ok, and there are others on the market.
Please can NSC recommend 'AN other' or had any dealings with the Blink system.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Is that to protect your prize marrow?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just get a pet honey badger. Failing that, there's a documentary from the early 90s hosted by Macaulay Cullin with some useful tips.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've a Blink system, but then I'm an Alexa addict. On a recent trip away I set up my 5 camera system to watch over the house. Then my internet failed on day two and the whole system failed to record!
Don't get me wrong, Blink is great. When it works it works well, recording every movement to the cloud (hence no internet no recordings). Battery life is NOT two years. I purchased some rechargable Lithium batteries that are a lot better plus indoor cameras work off a USB cable. The 4 cameras with Echo Show at £160 is a good deal.
Alternatives.
I have two Annke 8 camera systems in my shops. For home I would put one in the loft (needs power and internet though). In the loft you can then feed the cables out under the eves. I'm not an expert but having installed a few, know a fair ammount about them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just get a pet honey badger. Failing that, there's a documentary from the early 90s hosted by Macaulay Cullin with some useful tips.

Ahhh yes, the ratel, really vicious beasts, has even been known to bring down a lion. l wouldn't want to come across one on a dark night.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

In the new version, just released on Netflix, he (off screen) runs a home security company.

Not a joke.

Or a recommendation.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've got a "Ring" doorbell, which is brilliant. They also keep emailing me about cameras and other home security stuff which seems 'on the button'

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Unless you live in a very high crime area they are more trouble than worth IMO better to spend in on improved security gates, fences, locks, lights even a dummy alarm box

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve had two outdoor Google Nest cameras and a Ring front door bell for a couple of years, got them on a Black Friday deal. The Ring door bell failed after a few months and was replaced with another unit for free, and I had problems with the cables on the Nest cameras, again replaced free. No problems since.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Unless you live in a very high crime area they are more trouble than worth IMO better to spend in on improved security gates, fences, locks, lights even a dummy alarm box

Indeed. And if you live in an average house aren't you perhaps advertising the fact that compared to your neighbours you have stuff more valuable and worth stealing?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Indeed. And if you live in an average house aren't you perhaps advertising the fact that compared to your neighbours you have stuff more valuable and worth stealing?

Underneath my Ring Doorbell I have a plaque which says "I'm only trying to keep up with the neighbours. If you break in you'll be disappointed as you rifle through our possessions whilst the dog licks you to death.."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have a pair of Blink cameras and the motion detection is ok.
I also have a couple of Tapo c310 cameras and they are, IMO, a lot better.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Car parked outside is more likely to have an impact on goods inside than a Ring doorbell, my thinking, for what it’s worth, is that it is an extra deterrent, so hopefully would think twice.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I don't feel the need for security, so many neighbours tell me who comes in and out of the road at all times of the day. One man has an A5 notebook full of car registration and a description of people.
For security in the house, I have a very sturdy walking stick.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I get called out quite a bit to silence alarms that have triggered due to malfunction. The speed I can silence them always shocks the customer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here