Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] History repeating?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Couldn't really decide where to put this, but I found an interesting nugget in the Guardian's live feed from last night:

'"I don’t think Utd would have scored if they played for another 90 minutes,” begins Samuel Campbell, “but that penalty took over four minutes to get sorted yet the referee doesn’t add on any more injury time? Seems a bit strange.” I could be very wrong, but I’m pretty sure Andre Marriner blew up for full time after United finally cleared the corner. Three elongated peeps. The clock was certainly over the allotted additional five minutes. If that is indeed the case, that’ll be why no additional time was tacked on after Mac Allister converted the penalty … and given what happened at the end of this fixture three years ago, there’s a weird narrative purity to it.'

Anyone any idea if that is what happened – effectively the same situation as the 2-3 defeat a few seasons ago? Also, it's a bit odd because MUFC kicked off after the pen, no? Or was that just a formality?

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Couldn't really decide where to put this, but I found an interesting nugget in the Guardian's live feed from last night:

'"I don’t think Utd would have scored if they played for another 90 minutes,” begins Samuel Campbell, “but that penalty took over four minutes to get sorted yet the referee doesn’t add on any more injury time? Seems a bit strange.” I could be very wrong, but I’m pretty sure Andre Marriner blew up for full time after United finally cleared the corner. Three elongated peeps. The clock was certainly over the allotted additional five minutes. If that is indeed the case, that’ll be why no additional time was tacked on after Mac Allister converted the penalty … and given what happened at the end of this fixture three years ago, there’s a weird narrative purity to it.'

Anyone any idea if that is what happened – effectively the same situation as the 2-3 defeat a few seasons ago? Also, it's a bit odd because MUFC kicked off after the pen, no? Or was that just a formality?
From that comment it's obvious that Samuel Campbell is clueless!!

The 5 minutes of added time has been played out ... just over in fact. I'm not sure if the whistle was actually blown for FT ... I couldn't hear it. It looked to me as though he was about to blow and then suddenly his hand went to his ear ... which maybe explains why he allowed Utd to kick off again and then almost immediately blow for FT.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Other people have also said to me that the final whistle went while Sky were showing the replays before the Penalty Check. Doesn't make sense. If time is extended for a penalty then I think it's over as soon as it's taken. Vaguely remember it being once the forward motion of the ball has stopped (so you couldn't follow up and score the rebound if, for instance, it hit the post). Not sure that's the case any more but they surely wouldn't kick off again.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Other people have also said to me that the final whistle went while Sky were showing the replays before the Penalty Check. Doesn't make sense. If time is extended for a penalty then I think it's over as soon as it's taken. Vaguely remember it being once the forward motion of the ball has stopped (so you couldn't follow up and score the rebound if, for instance, it hit the post). Not sure that's the case any more but they surely wouldn't kick off again.
You are totally correct. If the ref had blown the full time whistle before the penalty decision play would have been extended to allow the penalty kick to be taken. Once the penalty is taken and either scored, saved or missed then the ref would blow the full time whistle again. The game wouldn’t kick off again, no rebounds etc, as it did restart last night this implies that the ref didn’t blow for full time.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The penalty was awarded in the final seconds of the match, so from the restart there would only be seconds left to play. Somebody clearly doesn’t know how injury time works… By their logic someone could feign an injury in the final seconds, sit on the turf for a few minutes, and gain extra minutes to play. Repeat until you score!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Isn’t the bottom line if Man Utd lose, absolutely anything that happened during the game is fair and acceptable?

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
Just been watching some extended highlights (if you Google 'football highlights reddit' there is a link to a 'Mini game' - would've linked but not sure posting of illegitimate sites is allowed). At 20:47 you can hear the ref blow his whistle 3 times so it's quite possible that we've scored a penalty after the full time whistle (sweet sweet karma). Not sure why play continue after we scored the pen though...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just been watching some extended highlights (if you Google 'football highlights reddit' there is a link to a 'Mini game' - would've linked but not sure posting of illegitimate sites is allowed). At 20:47 you can hear the ref blow his whistle 3 times so it's quite possible that we've scored a penalty after the full time whistle (sweet sweet karma). Not sure why play continue after we scored the pen though...

Is play brought back to 'when the penalty was conceded'?

Play continued for a minute or so after the handball happened, surely this time needs to be played as well?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I agree, I watched the recording when I got home last night and the ref definitely blew for full time as the ball went out for a throw. Maybe you have to kick off after a goal, cant remember if we did when it happened to us. I also thought it was full time at the game as was about to walk down the steps but saw the players were not shaking hands or anything

Salty_Seagull

Quality over quantity
Jul 2, 2015
Brighton/Hove
Is play brought back to 'when the penalty was conceded'?

Play continued for a minute or so after the handball happened, surely this time needs to be played as well?
Yeah you could be right there. Am 99% sure nothing was played after Maupay's handball against them but that was the last touch of the game I think

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ironically, the penalty that was awarded against us after full time was conceded after the game should have been over because the referee made exctly the mistake that Samuel Campbell makes. Cavanagh signalled 5 extra minutes. Solly March equalised on 95 minutes. Cavanagh then added on another two minutes for our goal celebrations when there was less than a minute to play.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've just watched it back and you're right, but it doesn't sound like the normal 'triple-peep' from the ref – more that he's trying to get player's attention (the action cuts to fans in the crowd though, so we might not ever know).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The other thing I notice from the highlights is that loads of our players stood guarding the penalty spot for quite some time. Obviously very keen to ensure that De Gea couldn't get up to his semi-final scuffing antics again.

1683301765727.png

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
The penalty was awarded in the final seconds of the match, so from the restart there would only be seconds left to play. Somebody clearly doesn’t know how injury time works… By their logic someone could feign an injury in the final seconds, sit on the turf for a few minutes, and gain extra minutes to play. Repeat until you score!
I wouldn’t put it past Bruno to try this 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here