Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hip, Hop, Help!

el punal

A week before Christmas I slipped on some ice and landed on my hip - painfully! Cut a long story short I went to A&E for assessment, X-Ray and so on. Luckily, I was informed there was no fracture. Despite that good news I found it difficult to stand and impossible to walk without a huge amount of pain. Since then I’ve been on crutches to get around. Slowly I’m getting a bit more mobile but only with a crutch and still cannot put any weight (for walking) on my right leg. It has been suggested that I have a very badly bruised bone.

So, is there anyone out there who has had a similar problem and any recommendations to ease my suffering? I want to be fit and raring to go for the Liverpool game - even if I have to have a piggyback up to the West Upper. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Jul 7, 2003
RICE is the best option - just remember to use ice packs in short bursts and not to give yourself an ice burn which is easily done. Need to get the balance right between rest but also trying to keep the joint moving as the other muscles around there will go into protective mode and tighten up.

I would also contact the club and explain your predicament. They might be able to move you to a lower stand or to the ESU where you can use the lifts for one match. They did this for me when I had knee surgery a few years ago.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
RICE may no longer be the appropriate treatment as all 4 of these actions are predominately designed to treat swelling.
Once swelling is reduced, the body is then able to begin its healing process.

So, RICE is brilliant for first 24 hours and after that, need only be used to deal with localised swelling [e.g. after exercise/physio].
If there is no swelling, RICE is the wrong treatment.

To help expedite muscle damage repair, increased blood-flow in the injured area will help - deep-heat and light massage [to warm the affected muscle].
If it's ligament/bone, these take many weeks [even months] to heal and the only thing I've seen help with this [outside of rest] is Voltorol which can help with joint pain.

RICE is useful but you should always add a "D" on the end to make it "RICED"
The D is for Diagnosis - if an x-ray doesn't reveal the problem then ask for a scan [MRI or even a local ultra-sound] which may highlight the cause of the problem and help identify the appropriate treatment.

If you're using Ibuprofen [great anti-inflammatory & pain relief], use sparingly / avoid and these have undesirable side effects from prolonged use [always read the label].

Apols if you already knew all of this - just trying to help ...

Jul 7, 2003
If the OP still has internal bone bruising then heat may not be the answer as that only slows down the healing process. Treating muscle injuries is not always the same as bone, ligaments or tendons.

I recently injured my intercostal area and was using heat to try and ease them. I then saw a physio who said that heat was the wrong option as although there was no visible damage, ice was needed rather than heat.

I guess what this thread shows is that you have to be careful as what works for one thing may not work for another.

el punal

Thanks everyone for your advice. I’ve just had an e-consult with an NHS physio who was helpful and reassuring. He reckons I’m on the road to recovery as the problem is soft tissue damage which is now getting better - another couple of weeks (probably) and I should be back to normal. So folks, it’s Liverpool here I come. Yay! :drink:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think the only option is don't get old..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here