Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hey Doomsayers

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
And I think this describes the problem well. People are beginning to equate the wages and transfer prices with a need for perfection. Shit goes wrong. At this level the slightest mistake is punished, so we get all down and doomsday when mistakes are made. But there are only a few players that only rarely f**kup. As to those saying if you get relegated it's because you were shite, what a load of bollocks. Relegation just means you are no longer good enough to be in the top 20 teams in England, which hardly equates to being shite.
In all the games I went to in the lower leagues I never once heard the crowd booing. How frigging pathetic to boo your side when they are down.

I'm not sure where you were sitting when we were in the lower leagues, but swathes of our fans would systematically berate certain Brighton players every time they touched the ball. In all fairness we had some shockers, but it was hardly supportive or motivating for them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is our third season in a row in the PL. I didn't expect us to see a second. We may still get a fourth. That's Brighton and Hove Albion, that is. Finished, as a club, 20 years ago. Many of us where there. Finished.

Ian Wright bigging us up now on R5, basically saying we have a trajectory of improvement, and the other bloke saying that if we go down we go down fighting (with a future next season), whereas if Palace go down they go down as dogshit. Good comparison :lolol:

Cool heads, folks.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I genuinely wonder what goes through Tony Blooms mind, when he sees all this negative crap here on NSC.
After all, he's the landlord and we are the sitting (sometime standing) tenants.

I highly doubt he reads it.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Two wins soon-ish would make 99% of very happy/relieved. Results are (almost) everything.

Very keen that Potter gets another PL transfer window, to get the players he needs to truly reap the benefits of his brave approach.

Relegation would be many steps backwards, a huge financial kick in the teeth for TB. Clubs rarely these days bounce straight back up.

Agree although the best chances for a couple of wins were in the last four Games !! prob twelve points needed for safety from 12 games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is our third season in a row in the PL. I didn't expect us to see a second. We may still get a fourth. That's Brighton and Hove Albion, that is. Finished, as a club, 20 years ago. Many of us where there. Finished.

Ian Wright bigging us up now on R5, basically saying we have a trajectory of improvement, and the other bloke saying that if we go down we go down fighting (with a future next season), whereas if Palace go down they go down as dogshit. Good comparison :lolol:

Cool heads, folks.

Sutton repeatedly kept chipping in with a rhetorical “But will Brighton fans remain happy if they go down?”. He clearly inferred not. Chapman asked for Brighton fans to contact them post 8 o’clock.

Did they? I wasn’t listening then.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Cool heads, folks.

I don't really disagree with any of this, and yet I'm being painted as a Spence-like doomsayer on other threads for pointing out that the standard of football (and pitch by the way) currently being served up at the Amex by us, our opponents, our officials and VAR is less than Michelin 3 Star. But it comes with Heston Blumenthal prices, restrictions, media coverage etc.

If you're going to shut down fanzines, twitter accounts and blogs and change the kit every year, embrace the foreign idiots who wouldn't get "us" if they had a four week intensive training course. charge £5 to reprint a forgotten ticket, take kids' water bottle lids off them even if they are heading to the back rows of the upper tiers and rob pensioners of their flasks, then you might as well put on a ****ing show.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I don't really disagree with any of this, and yet I'm being painted as a Spence-like doomsayer on other threads for pointing out that the standard of football (and pitch by the way) currently being served up at the Amex by us, our opponents, our officials and VAR is less than Michelin 3 Star. But it comes with Heston Blumenthal prices, restrictions, media coverage etc.

If you're going to shut down fanzines, twitter accounts and blogs and change the kit every year, embrace the foreign idiots who wouldn't get "us" if they had a four week intensive training course. charge £5 to reprint a forgotten ticket, take kids' water bottle lids off them even if they are heading to the back rows of the upper tiers and rob pensioners of their flasks, then you might as well put on a ****ing show.

You make a fair point but is it the club or the Prem that's really the problem with what you've mentioned?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I wonder if a dose of non-PL football would give rise to an easing of the copyright obsession, and rid us of some of the razzmatazz ‘product’ hype?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You make a fair point but is it the club or the Prem that's really the problem with what you've mentioned?

Both. But mainly the Prem.

We have to fit in. Fans' needs are second to the needs of the league. And there are billions involved. I really don't blame Tony and Paul at all for having to fit in with the other big boys but it doesn't make it right.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Some snippets from Michael Cox, who knows his onions imo.

"They (Brighton and Watford) are two good football sides, with a clear game plan and plenty of technical quality."

"The technical and tactical quality, however, was impressive for two sides struggling at the bottom of the table, and most obvious in the midfield zone.

"For the home side, Brighton used Davy Propper as the sole holding midfielder, happy to receive the ball under pressure, capable of using his body well to slalom past tackles, and purposeful with his distribution. His positional intelligence means Potter is happy to use both Aaron Mooy and Pascal Gross, two attack-minded midfielders, in the number 8 positions. Mooy drops deep to help build-up play before pushing forward to collect the ball between the lines. Gross drifts wider, almost into Kevin De Bruyne-like positions, before attempting to swing in crosses"
"you can’t help feeling that these these teams are both better than previous sides who have remained in the division in recent years: the shambolic Aston Villa team rescued by Tim Sherwood, the hapless Sunderland sides that Paolo Di Canio and Dick Advocaat helped over the line, the well-organised but ultimately limited Huddersfield group that David Wagner took to surprise survival."

"This could be the most interesting relegation battle the English top flight has seen for many years. Not just because of the points total required, not just because so many sides are involved, but because those teams are, actually, all quite good."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

"They (Brighton and Watford) are two good football sides, with a clear game plan and plenty of technical quality."

"The technical and tactical quality, however, was impressive for two sides struggling at the bottom of the table, and most obvious in the midfield zone.

For the home side, Brighton used Davy Propper as the sole holding midfielder, happy to receive the ball under pressure, capable of using his body well to slalom past tackles, and purposeful with his distribution. His positional intelligence means Potter is happy to use both Aaron Mooy and Pascal Gross, two attack-minded midfielders, in the number 8 positions. Mooy drops deep to help build-up play before pushing forward to collect the ball between the lines. Gross drifts wider, almost into Kevin De Bruyne-like positions, before attempting to swing in crosses"

"you can’t help feeling that these these teams are both better than previous sides who have remained in the division in recent years: the shambolic Aston Villa team rescued by Tim Sherwood, the hapless Sunderland sides that Paolo Di Canio and Dick Advocaat helped over the line, the well-organised but ultimately limited Huddersfield group that David Wagner took to surprise survival."

"This could be the most interesting relegation battle the English top flight has seen for many years. Not just because of the points total required, not just because so many sides are involved, but because those teams are, actually, all quite good."

Portraying Mooy and Gross as a thing of footballing beauty on Saturday evening. They were both awful.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Been reading so much pessimistic tripe the last few weeks. The way people are carrying on you would think all the teams around us keep on winning. Have a look at the frigging table, we are 4 points behind Arsenal in 10th place. Who knows which teams are going to stay up this season. Non of the 10 teams are safe, even frigging Arsenal could get a relegation scare. Yes we need to find some better form, yes we salvaged a draw from an own goal, but we had a draw last week because of our own own goals so that balances out. We are not shite, we just need to have the fans behind the team and Potter to plug his ears to the naysayers and go back the the style that had us 8th at the start of November. If we go down we do so in one of the tightest seasons in years, not because we are shite.

For the love of gawd, stop being so bloody positive. There's no place for it on this forum :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

"For the home side, Brighton used Davy Propper as the sole holding midfielder, happy to receive the ball under pressure, capable of using his body well to slalom past tackles, and purposeful with his distribution. His positional intelligence means Potter is happy to use both Aaron Mooy and Pascal Gross, two attack-minded midfielders, in the number 8 positions. Mooy drops deep to help build-up play before pushing forward to collect the ball between the lines. Gross drifts wider, almost into Kevin De Bruyne-like positions, before attempting to swing in crosses"

Michael Cox of The Athletic - a failing start up / disruptive media enterprise who have placed their growth plans in the ability of the likes of Andy Naylor to drive subscription business to them on pain of being dumped.

Never, ever has a media organisiation more needed subscribers.

Ironically, sensational click-bait was meant to have been killed by the subscription model. Instead, the need to stay alive in the eyes of the venture capital has lead to them having to produce more and more sensationalist nonsense.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I hope the players have a stronger mindset than the majority on here. 2020 has been tough but it's also been tough for most in the bottom six or seven. For me a couple of wins are just round the corner, we could / should have won at West Ham, Watford just parked the bus and Bournemouth away another day could have been a different result.
We need pace in the side add Bernardo and Lamptey and stretch the play.
My glass is half full, four wins and a few draws thrown in and we are safe.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Michael Cox of The Athletic - a failing start up / disruptive media enterprise who have placed their growth plans in the ability of the likes of Andy Naylor to drive subscription business to them on pain of being dumped.

Never, ever has a media organisiation more needed subscribers.

Ironically, sensational click-bait was meant to have been killed by the subscription model. Instead, the need to stay alive in the eyes of the venture capital has lead to them having to produce more and more sensationalist nonsense.

I've always found his tactical analysis interesting enough. Where's the sensationalism here? I think he's right that the quality at the bottom of the league is better than usual. Norwich are a far better side than the regular whipping boys.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And I don't disagree with any of that.

Tipping point. Applies to everything. '**** this, I'm off' is often the first sign the tipping point has been reached. Because (brace yourself, now) it is the tipping point.

At the moment I still have a rictus grin, and am fingering my lucky Seagulls keyring like a Mexican nun fingering her rosary before deciding to let Eli Wallach come inside her enclosure.

Only a matter of weeks before I go full-on Potter OUT :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here