Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Here's The Original

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Crew Cuts was the white cover version of the Chords:

Owned by Thin Lizzy:

Made famous by Quo:

Was aware that Rosalie was a Bob Seger song but until now had never been able to find it anywhere, thanks for that! Was one of the first "rock" tracks I ever heard (courtesy of "Live and Dangerous" - a friend did a tape of various rock tracks including this one) which converted me to rock, metal and ultimately more mellower sounds. I am sure they used to play it down the Hungry Years, legendary Brighton rock disco.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What's the off season for if it's not bouncing ten year old music threads? Anybody who has previously been bored by my music posts will know of my love for Ray Davies and BBC2's Saturday night stuff sent me down a Youtube wormhole. I knew that the Chrissie Hynde version was, like 'Stop Your Sobbing', a fine cover of one of her, at that time, husband's songs. However, the Kinks didn't do the original of this one. The Applejacks had a minor hit with it and Peggy Lee covered it too. I don't know how I could never have stumbled across this before, but it turns out that there is a recording of Ray's demo* and blimey, it's beautiful. The piano's reminiscent of Erik Satie:

* - Apparently available as a bonus track on the 1998 CD reboot of 'Kinda Kinks'. I own a different version and will now have to sneak a second copy in past my wife.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The disco version we all know

And the divine and altogether superior indy band original

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
The 1929 version of Singin' in the Rain.

[yt]xe60AkZd0WQ[/yt]

Rather amazingly, featuring Buster Keaton (not singing), at just after 06:50.
I'd bought the MGM VHS tape of Broadway Melody around 35 years ago, since Singin' in the Rain is one my favourite musicals.

I also bought Kino's complete boxed DVD set of Keaton's independent shorts and features c. 2005 to replace my worn-out videotapes.

Any other silent movie buffs here? Pre-Code? Classic Hollywood and French musicals? French movies from the 1920s-90s? I currently get my fixes on the Criterion Channel streaming site (charter member) and a couple of other (secret) sites.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd bought the MGM VHS tape of Broadway Melody around 35 years ago, since Singin' in the Rain is one my favourite musicals.

I also bought Kino's complete boxed DVD set of Keaton's independent shorts and features c. 2005 to replace my worn-out videotapes.

Any other silent movie buffs here? Pre-Code? Classic Hollywood and French musicals? French movies from the 1920s-90s? I currently get my fixes on the Criterion Channel streaming site (charter member) and a couple of other (secret) sites.

I love old movies including continental films. I’d never heard of Criterion Channel … wow, glancing at the website it’s an incredible Aladdin‘s Cave including documentaries. Those olympics and expo docu films are compelling. Before the days of meaningful daytime TV in the UK, BBC2 in the late 60’s/early 70’s often aired them almost as trade test transmissions eg a colourful official film on the futuristic Montreal Expo 67 …. they kept showing this for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here