Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henry Winter Top man

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Very sad. If The Athletic pick him up I might have to actually subscribe.

Presumably he no longer fitted in to Murdoch world.

More likely his massive salary no longer fitted into the Times budget. As I know from personal experience, the Times can be ruthless when looking to make cuts. Henry is a decent guy as well as a workaholic, so I'm sure he'll get a few offers, although he may have to take the sort of wage cut that Adam Lallana did to come to us. The original pay offer was an attempt to show the Torygraph who had the financial muscle but I think it was a decision that they wouldn't make these days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
More likely his massive salary no longer fitted into the Times budget. As I know from personal experience, the Times can be ruthless when looking to make cuts. Henry is a decent guy as well as a workaholic, so I'm sure he'll get a few offers, although he may have to take the sort of wage cut that Adam Lallana did to come to us. The original pay offer was an attempt to show the Torygraph who had the financial muscle but I think it was a decision that they wouldn't make these days.
Thanks. Had no idea he was on such a huge wedge.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm quite surprised that The Times didn't keep Winter on until the end of the Euros. His access to the England national team is almost unrivalled.
To be fair, would probably have only needed to keep him on till the Quarter Finals.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can I ask what a "huge wedge" is when it comes to sports journalism? Just curious.

Ball park figures will do, @Not Andy Naylor ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can I ask what a "huge wedge" is when it comes to sports journalism? Just curious.

Ball park figures will do, @Not Andy Naylor ...

I bet it was a lot more than the £2,500 pa I was offered by The Cricketer. This was in 1983 but that was derisory even then. When I told them that, the answer was "Yes, we were looking for someone with a private income" :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here