residents of the village hardly went to the pub on any regular
bases..It was always empty in the winter months. On many occasions the
pub did not have one customer all day and night.The pub had to be
subsidised by the land lady to cover cost of staying open. It was a
huge financial drain.
It was view when it went on the marked by many people interested in
running it as a restaurant and pub, but they all realised it had
little potential to be profitable.
No one wanted to buy it as a pub/restaurant.
It is now going to be houses, which is not a horrifying thing as the
village dose support development of the village .This has been
demonstrated by their huge efforts to increase housing in Amberley.
I agree more housing is what is really needed not more unprofitable
pubs .The development is a positive outcome for the building.
Sounds to me like you're looking at this the wrong way round: clearly what you need to do is get rid of the villagers and bring in some people who can appreciate an English country pub.

"“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England." (Hilaire Belloc) Sad that it takes a Frenchman to point this out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My understanding is that, as a business, pubs are valued based on turnover, rather than the value of the land/property for development.

Like all land, the planning status determines its value. If it's got permission for housing, the value is much greater than if it's only designated for agricultural use, for instance.
and as can be seen u dont always get planning permission to develop it

jolly

Aug 25, 2012
If the pub has been closed for over a years and there is continued residential occupation then there may be scope to secure a Certificate of Lawfulness of Existing Use. I suggest the owner of the pub just keeps the pub closed and wait his time .
You can read more about a recent successful scheme here – Change of use of pub to residential | Plainview Planning.
Should the owner wish to discuss development options for his pub please contact James Nicol or Ian Woodward-Court on 01242 501003 or email publichouses@plainview.co.uk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is exactly what Enterprise Inns do, set the rent at a rate that makes the pub not viable then keep it shut for 2 years and apply for change of use and it is very rarely refused and if so it usually gets overturned on appeal.

jolly

Aug 25, 2012
Do you mean the whole population of the village should be moved out to make way only for dedicated village pub eaters and drinkers, who will support the pub?

jolly

Aug 25, 2012
Sounds to me like you're looking at this the wrong way round: clearly what you need to do is get rid of the villagers and bring in some people who can appreciate an English country pub.

Do you mean the whole population of the village should be moved out and re placed by only dedicated pub eaters and drinkers to ensure its viability.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

"“When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England." (Hilaire Belloc) Sad that it takes a Frenchman to point this out.

Reprised and paraphrased to beautiful effect by British Sea Power in Blackout....

Welcoming the cool rain in of the astounding dawn
Watch the birds hovering over Narrow Moor
In deeper lines of deeper sleep, into the Tumuli
All the pretty machinery under the sky
For you have drunk all your beer go drown your empty selves
For then you will have lost it all the last of this Island

As you Blackout
Blackout again
My love

So bring it down, let it fall, into a drizzling bliss
Then we'll hyperventilate in the old forest
Then I will see all those things, things that can not be seen
For you have drunk all your beer, go drown your empty selves
For then you will have lost it all, the last of this island

Was discussing this closure yesterday with my brother as we walked around Amberley. Both agreed it was scary if a pub as popular and good as The Black Horse could go. I've already lost my local in Beeding to the greedy holding companies. At this rate there won't be many decent pubs left, most will be developed into housing or turned into poncy gastropubs where the bar is about a foot long and you're frowned upon if you haven't booked for a meal when you turn up. Rubbish.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just received a letter from Horsham advising me that an appeal has been lodged against the refusal to grant planning permission for change of use from pub to 2 residential houses for The Black Horse Amberley..

jolly

Aug 25, 2012
Bh pub

I fear the new owners of the property BH Pub will achieve their objectives.
It is a shame as Amberley has become a much built up community .With lots of new builds.
The pub did have problem with customer parking .Houses near the pub would often complain to the Land Lady as their drive way gates were often parked across by the pub customers .
Amberley is extremely congested with vehicles ,as almost all the properties only have the road to park on .So the BH to stay as a Pub/restaurant and be in demand would not work, by the simple fact there is no where to park vehicles .
Amberley has been over developed and as a result has lost its charm and sense of appeal.
Two more houses will not make a huge difference as Amberely has already been spoilt ,and it still has two pubs, a restaurant plus the Castle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here