Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Have you reached your peak yet?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have skid a fair bit in France (not as much as you), Austrial once (thanks to [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]'s recommendation) and a fair bit in Canada when I lived there (Whistler, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Silver Star, and the 3 Vancouver resorts), but a place I really loved was Åre in Sweden. It is low altitude so you don't need any sun cream. And it is quiet. And there are no bat shit mental French twats. I went a couple of times but last time I looked into it there we no direct flights. Hopefully I can go again, if I get fitter.

Ironically my main concern last time I went was my right knee. After three meniscus tears, and now apparently an ACL with all the substance of Nora Battye's boiled knicker elastic, plus 'arthritic degradation', I'm eligible for a full knee replacement. So I bought a knee support (one recommended by a helpful NSC poster). The knee gave me absolutely no problems. But I got horrible back ache around the top of the pelvis, and never skiid past lunchtime. Still, I got the pool and the sauna to myself every afternoon. Maybe I'll take lessons if I go again - I'm self-taught and have all the style of porcelain khazi strapped to two tea trays and given a shove start. Perhaps a style tweak will transform me into latterday Jean-Claude Killy.

I agree with Westy about Moguls. Luckily I've always struggled with them so I avoid them.

Right, time to do a bit of actual work....:thumbsup:

I remember that huge pool and the sauna, we had that to ouselves too. You missed an unseemly scrum in the that tiny boot room every morning.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have skid a fair bit in France (not as much as you), Austrial once (thanks to [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]'s recommendation) and a fair bit in Canada when I lived there (Whistler, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Silver Star, and the 3 Vancouver resorts), but a place I really loved was Åre in Sweden. It is low altitude so you don't need any sun cream. And it is quiet. And there are no bat shit mental French twats. I went a couple of times but last time I looked into it there we no direct flights. Hopefully I can go again, if I get fitter.

Ironically my main concern last time I went was my right knee. After three meniscus tears, and now apparently an ACL with all the substance of Nora Battye's boiled knicker elastic, plus 'arthritic degradation', I'm eligible for a full knee replacement. So I bought a knee support (one recommended by a helpful NSC poster). The knee gave me absolutely no problems. But I got horrible back ache around the top of the pelvis, and never skiid past lunchtime. Still, I got the pool and the sauna to myself every afternoon. Maybe I'll take lessons if I go again - I'm self-taught and have all the style of porcelain khazi strapped to two tea trays and given a shove start. Perhaps a style tweak will transform me into latterday Jean-Claude Killy.

I agree with Westy about Moguls. Luckily I've always struggled with them so I avoid them.

Right, time to do a bit of actual work....:thumbsup:

Hope you get to go again. I have to accept that I can't do what I used to, but a couple of hours cruising pisted runs followed by meeting the kids and their friends in a restaurant for a long lunch, let them go off, finish another glass of wine and then toddle off back to the hotel/chalet. It's still one of my favourite things in the whole world, even when the adrenaline rush isn't there.

La Rosiere/La Thuile is quietish for the Alps (and very few snowboarders due to a long button lift across the French/Italian border)

And with their helmets and goggles on, how did you know that those bat shit mental twats were French ? Sorry :blush:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it was probably the 40 years of football and squash that wrecked mine. I had ops on them at 50 and had to give up squash, but still playing football and skiing albeit with knee supports (serious ones when I ski). I'm most impressed with [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] doing the Grand couloir at 58 as I was 5 years younger the last time I did it (and still 2 years younger when I bottled it !)

As to resorts, off the top of my head

Italy - Cavalese, Courmayeur, Sauze d'Oulx, Sestriere, Claviere, La Thuile
Andorra - Arinsal, El Tarter, Soldeau
Austria - Mayrhofen, Soll, St Anton, Scheffau, St Johan
Switzerland - St Moritz
France - Les Arcs, La Rosiere, La Plagne, Courchevel, Meribel, Les Deaux Alpes, Montgenevre, Val Thorens, Val D'isere, Tignes

I don't think I can count Chamonix although we did end up there when we skied the Vallee Blanche from Cormayeur and had to come back through the Mont Blanc tunnel :wink:

And I'm sure I've forgotten some. When the kids were young we tended to go to Andorra and Austria as the teaching and child care was so good. As the kids got older and better, it tended to be the massive linked resorts in France. And there are some favourites in there (I think we went to Les Arcs 2000 and 1950 5 or 6 times over the years).

These posts might be perceived as boasting :lolol:

USA - Winter Park
Canada - Lake Louise/Banff
France - Chamonix, Val D'isere, Tignes, Puy St Vincent (10 times! My kids learnt to ski there), Val Thorens.
Austria - St Christoph, Vorderlanersbach near Tux, Obertauern (famous for The Beatles in Help!), Kitzbuehel, Muhltal near Niederau, Ischgl, St Anton, Obergurgl, Hochgurgl, Schladming.
Switzerland - Zermatt (we sat near Capt James Hewitt in an outside restaurant ... he was wearing a cravat skiing :)).
Italy - Madesimo, Foppolo, Champulox, Courmayeur, Santa Caterina.

Plus day trips to other lovely resorts such as Lech and Zurs. With some lengthy road trips on the family hols, we've drive through Montegenevre lots on the way to PSV from Turin airport.

Lots of eventful events on and off the piste.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

USA - Winter Park
France - Chamonix, Val D'isere, Tignes, Puy St Vincent (10 times! My kids learnt to ski there), Val Thorens.
Austria - St Christoph, Vorderlanersbach near Tux, Obertauern (famous for The Beatles in Help!), Kitzbuehel, Muhltal near Niederau, Ischgl, St Anton, Obergurgl, Hochgurgl, Schladming.
Switzerland - Zermatt (we sat near Capt James Hewitt in an outside restaurant ... he was wearing a cravat skiing :)).

Plus day trips to other lovely resorts such as Lech and Zurs. With some lengthy road trips on the family hols, we've drive through Montegenevre lots on the way to PSV from Turin airport.

Unfortunately Mrs Wz really doesn't like flying so I'm afraid it's only Europe for us :down:

But there's surprisingly little overlap in where we've been. Just shows how much more we both have to ski. Trying for three trips next season to make up for the last 2 :thumbsup:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Age is just a number against your name in my opinion.
I did the London Marathon in 3hrs 38mins at the ripe age of 52
Brighton Marathon 2 years later in 3hrs 46mins and followed that a month later by running from Ilfracombe to Buford (138miles) in 5 days for a Service Veterans charity.
Done numerous half marathons up until 2 years ago when I damaged a bone in my foot which won't heal.
So now I've got into biking and in the winter I go on my turbo trainer and do at least 150 miles a week on the Zwift app after I get home from work and love it.
Enjoy it whilst you can is my motto [emoji106]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would have thought that if you make it your ambition to spy on a mates wife to see what she is up to and then post it on a football forum for us all to laugh at it, then your mind is way beyond its peak.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately Mrs Wz really doesn't like flying so I'm afraid it's only Europe for us :down:

But there's surprisingly little overlap in where we've been. Just shows how much more we both have to ski. Trying for three trips next season to make up for the last 2 :thumbsup:

I thought the same, showing the vastness of The Alps.

You may be the same, this has been my main interest now for 25 years, with a passion going back to schooldays, so I’m au fait with all places to ski. On your list, Scheffau and St Moritz hold an interest to me.

We had a CV19 curtailed New Year’s holiday to Schladming, which I quickly replaced with one to Arosa ... also cancelled when the ‘Kent variant’ was made known.

This will be my first non-skiing winter since 2004/05. The Alps has had fantastic snow levels this winter, so it’s a bit gutting. My aspiration for 2021/22, but the doomongers about travel indicate another lost 12 months to come, would be a ski course this autumn and two family ski holidays. Not rushing into booking stuff just yet, keeping an open mind.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Age is just a number against your name in my opinion.
I did the London Marathon in 3hrs 38mins at the ripe age of 52
Brighton Marathon 2 years later in 3hrs 46mins and followed that a month later by running from Ilfracombe to Buford (138miles) in 5 days for a Service Veterans charity.
Done numerous half marathons up until 2 years ago when I damaged a bone in my foot which won't heal.
So now I've got into biking and in the winter I go on my turbo trainer and do at least 150 miles a week on the Zwift app after I get home from work and love it.
Enjoy it whilst you can is my motto [emoji106]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I did London in 3:44 aged 47 then Brighton in 3:48 aged 55.

Not far off your times, must be an age thing.

But I'm still knackered from them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hope you get to go again. I have to accept that I can't do what I used to, but a couple of hours cruising pisted runs followed by meeting the kids and their friends in a restaurant for a long lunch, let them go off, finish another glass of wine and then toddle off back to the hotel/chalet. It's still one of my favourite things in the whole world, even when the adrenaline rush isn't there.

La Rosiere/La Thuile is quietish for the Alps (and very few snowboarders due to a long button lift across the French/Italian border)

And with their helmets and goggles on, how did you know that those bat shit mental twats were French ? Sorry :blush:

Cheers.

(It was all the 'hon hi hon' :wink: )

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

USA - Winter Park

I've snowboarded in many of those resorts. From your list try add Whistler and Iwanai (Japan)

From the list:

Mentally - No, seem get get wiser as I go on
Physically - Pre covid, I was the fittest I've ever been (at 36) but been so lazy since, think I can get it back
At Sport - Late 20s I was racing bikes, DH, Enduro and Road in Europe, form dropped massively even though I'm physically fitter and mentally stronger ??? Still ride big mountain lines on the snowboard, progressing in the backcountry but the park life is behind me
At Work - Started a new and exciting chapter in life at the end of last year professionally, there's a lot more to come
Giving to others - I've got a lot to give

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here