Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you ever discharged a firearm?

Have you ever discharged a firearm?

• Never

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Airgun

Votes: 173 60.3%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 158 55.1%
  • Handgun

Votes: 101 35.2%
  • Rifle

Votes: 135 47.0%
  • Semi/Automatic Weapon

Votes: 94 32.8%

• Total voters

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I injured myself firing a 9 mm Browning.
Instead of adoptIng the recommended grip, I went for the much cooler looking wrist holding method.

Somehow managed to get my thumb in the way of the block coming back and badly bruised my thumb and wrist.

I never saw that happen in Starsky and Hutch.
If it’s any consoltation I’ve seen that happen a couple times after some baby pilots spent an afternoon on the range at a Yeovilton. Partly annoying as the range Bootneck was very specific on how to fire an automatic. From memory his word of choice was ‘wanker’.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m

I did it for 15 years so a fair few. From the dizzying depths of straight to streaming rubbish through Midsomer Murders and Dr Who to big budget film stuff.

I have been killed by among others, Scott Eastwood, Brad Pitt, Tom Hardy, some bird off Casualty who used to be fit but isn’t now, and some mates who made a film.
If you're ever asked to go on set with Alec Baldwin, I'd probably give it a swerve.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I fired one of those gun things at a fair. And got into a lot of trouble for it.

The bloke who ran the stool said he had no prizes so we could have some extra pellets. Being the little scally I was, I thought the light bulbs along the top of the gazebo were fair game. I was a pretty good shot. His back was turned. Fire one- the bulb explodes. Fire two- the next bulb explodes. Next the gun is grabbed from my hand. 'You little fucker' the bloke yells at me. That was the end of our turn.

I'll always remember and can't stop smiling when telling the story.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you're ever asked to go on set with Alec Baldwin, I'd probably give it a swerve.
Hahah!

Funnily enough I a western a few years ago. I get killed and I had to lie on the floor of the saloon while a bad guy stood over me and fired a pistol into my face.

Obviously they wouldn’t use a blank round and would instead put flash and sound in during post.

I get on the floor. Action is sounded. BANG.

Blank goes off and the white hot shell casing misses my eye by mm’s.

When I jumped up and demanded to kneo who had accidentally put a blank in the weapon the director said. “It wasn’t an accident, I wanted to get a reaction out of you”

What? I was supposed to die. Instantly. What sort of reaction were you looking for? You reckless ****!!!

He was sacked on the spot. I got my fee quadrupled.

The flash and hot elements of blank fire is very dangerous. Can blind and deafen you and well as give you a nasty burn.

Idiot.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
On another shoot I was running behind a T55 tank.

The driver swerved over and almost sucked me under the tracks.

Those things are huge and generate a lot of momentum and “suck”.

They move along by sucking in the earth and feeding it under the tracks. They will suck anything in that’s standing on the earth.

If I hadn’t have pushed myself off the side of the tank with my shoulder, I would have got sucked under.

I still genuinly shudder when I think how close I came to being ground into a muddy field.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hahah!

Funnily enough I a western a few years ago. I get killed and I had to lie on the floor of the saloon while a bad guy stood over me and fired a pistol into my face.

Obviously they wouldn’t use a blank round and would instead put flash and sound in during post.

I get on the floor. Action is sounded. BANG.

Blank goes off and the white hot shell casing misses my eye by mm’s.

When I jumped up and demanded to kneo who had accidentally put a blank in the weapon the director said. “It wasn’t an accident, I wanted to get a reaction out of you”

What? I was supposed to die. Instantly. What sort of reaction were you looking for? You reckless ****!!!

He was sacked on the spot. I got my fee quadrupled.

The flash and hot elements of blank fire is very dangerous. Can blind and deafen you and well as give you a nasty burn.

Idiot.
Not surprised he was sacked on the spot. Just imagine the pending lawsuit if (god forbid) you had been injured or maimed through his rank buffoonery.

Your life sounds bloody exciting btw. 😮

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not surprised he was sacked on the spot. Just imagine the pending lawsuit if (god forbid) you had been injured or maimed through his rank buffoonery.

Your life sounds bloody exciting btw. 😮
Yeah, I would have got a lot of dollar. But likely been blind. So swings and roundabouts 😂

It was an exciting time, yeah. I have many fond memories of my time in that line of work.

I do the occasional job. Maybe two or three a year. But it’s more a paid hobby these days.

I get to chase people and fall down stairs for real these days!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I shall advise my friend to redirect his questions to Scott and the fit/unfit bird off Casualty. I'm sure they'll be more forthcoming.
Googling 'that bird off Casualty who is not as fit as she once was' is proving to be fruitless :mad:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Googling 'that bird off Casualty who is not as fit as she once was' is proving to be fruitless :mad:
Hmm. Maybe not that fit.

Attachments

• IMG_7055.jpeg
    IMG_7055.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 29

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My nephew was in The Rifles and invited me (in the absence of my brother) to a kind of open day. We had the opportunity to fire these (I assume) semi-automatic rifles. I was just following the breathing instructions (slow and I think fire breathing out) taking aim when the person next to me opened fire. Almost jumped out of my skin. My heart rate sped up for sure. They’re very, very noisy.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Neighbour took me clay shooting once in lieu of payment for some garden work I did in my much younger adult life. Kick on those shotties was quite a surprise for one not used to firearms. Haven't had the means or will to do it since, it was fun enough but not something I *had* to do again.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve a couple of 12 bore shotguns which I use regularly as an enthusiastic member of Clay Pigeon Preservation Societies for the past 30 odd years, I did get sort of good at it some years ago but it takes dedication and perhaps a younger eye to keep it going. Nowadays I’m happy to hit 50% of the targets at a shoot, invariably I miss more than I hit though.
Military family upbringing meant I tried all manner of handguns, rifles and automatic weapons as a youngster.
No desire then, or now, to try and shoot anything living.
I see my guns much as a tennis player sees their rackets, of a golfer their clubs. Safety has always been paramount from when I used to run a gun club, to the various shooting grounds we attend around the county. I’ve never seen an incident or accident that put anyone at risk of harm.
I find it a thoroughly enjoyable social event once a month, Premier League fixture changes allowing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
On another shoot I was running behind a T55 tank.

The driver swerved over and almost sucked me under the tracks.

Those things are huge and generate a lot of momentum and “suck”.

They move along by sucking in the earth and feeding it under the tracks. They will suck anything in that’s standing on the earth.

If I hadn’t have pushed myself off the side of the tank with my shoulder, I would have got sucked under.

I still genuinly shudder when I think how close I came to being ground into a muddy field.
You would have made a good impression

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Went to America a few years ago and rocked up at a firing range. Their vetting process was asking me ‘have I ever been in a mental hospital?’ and ‘do I have any experience with firearms?’.

‘No, and I’ve played some Call of Duty’

‘Good enough, which gun d’ya want and how many bullets’?

Fired an M4, Glock and Thompson M1A1.

This might sound odd, but I was constantly worried that I could just turn round and kill someone. Not that I would have or wanted to; it was just knowing that I had this (for a Brit) unimaginable amount of deadly force in my hands.

Glad I had the experience but even more glad we don’t have guns in this country, even if I do enjoy firearm history etc.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
SLR
SA80
LA85 again whatever the difference was from the SA80
Air rifle
Cap gun
Spud gun
Air Pistol
If I wasn’t in the Air Force I could have been a mass murderer. Could of easily killed someone with a king Edward

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yes.

Baton gun
Browning 9mm
Sig Sauer 9mm
SA80 rifle with and without Underslung Grenade Launcher
Light Support Weapon (5.56mm)
Light Machine Gun (belt fed 5.56mm)
General Purpose Machine Gun (belt fed 7.62mm)
Heavy Machine Gun (bet fed 50cal)
Grenade Machine Gun (belt fed 40mm grenades)
Mortars
Javelin anti tank missile
Some other over the shoulder missile launcher that I forgot what it's called but is man portable.
Mini flares, phosphorus grenades, high explosive grenades, smoke grenades...

And these days CS incapacitant spray now and again.

Never fired a sniper rifle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here