Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we blown our chances of promotion for next season??

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Complete rubbish. What made our squad in the top 2 as compared to Bolton, Leicester, Cardiff, Blackburn, Wolves, Forest etc. All of whom cost a fair amount more and were probably on higher wages?

Big Pole - Champions League experience and Prem Championship medal winner
Bruno - Played a large part of his career in a top 4 La Liga Side
Upson - Played for England at last World Cup
Greer - Scottish International
Bridge - Played for Chelsea and Man City, Played for England at last World Cup
Bridcutt - Courted by many Prem clubs and Scottish Intl
Lopez - Europa League and Copa Del Rey Finalist the year before joining
Orlandi - Won promotion in Swansea side and played in the Prem
Vicente - over 30 caps for Spain and once valued at over £25m
Buckley - 1m+ signing
Crofts - Regular in Championship winning team and first season in Prem
Hammond - Captain of Championship winners season before
Dobbie - Promoted from Championship with Swansea and Blackpool
CMS - £3m signing
Ulloa - £2m+ signing, La Liga experience, top scorer in equivalent division in Spain.

Yep nothing like a side that would have a legitimate expectation to challenge for the top 2 :ffsparr:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm not one for throwing derogatory abuse about, but bloody stupid thread to start. Try again at Christmas...it'll probably be sorted by then

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We blew it last year and with a top two squad as well. As for this season well its too early to say.

what? How can that be called, in any way, a fact?

It's football not arm wrestling. We had a good squad (put together by Gus) we came 4th. A good position.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Big Pole - Champions League experience and Prem Championship medal winner
Bruno - Played a large part of his career in a top 4 La Liga Side
Upson - Played for England at last World Cup
Greer - Scottish International
Bridge - Played for Chelsea and Man City, Played for England at last World Cup
Bridcutt - Courted by many Prem clubs and Scottish Intl
Lopez - Europa League and Copa Del Rey Finalist the year before joining
Orlandi - Won promotion in Swansea side and played in the Prem
Vicente - over 30 caps for Spain and once valued at over £25m
Buckley - 1m+ signing
Crofts - Regular in Championship winning team and first season in Prem
Hammond - Captain of Championship winners season before
Dobbie - Promoted from Championship with Swansea and Blackpool
CMS - £3m signing
Ulloa - £2m+ signing, La Liga experience, top scorer in equivalent division in Spain.

Yep nothing like a side that would have a legitimate expectation to challenge for the top 2 :ffsparr:

How boring, another of the ones who have been shouting loudest over the last few weeks jumping on the bandwagon again. Yes, nobody is denying we had a decent squad but you could argue the same about a number of clubs who finished below us. Some people on here seem to think we should have been guaranteed a top 2 finish and that 4th is a failure. This, in my mind, is a ridiculous view.

In terms of Upson and Ulloa, we did come top of the table in the second half of the season when they were here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Once this Poyet business is put to bed, I think it will all happen like a whirlwind. New man in, a few going out and a LB, CH, CM AND CF coming in.

Would love you to be right.....

Will be nice to have some transfer rumour style threads as well.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
How boring, another of the ones who have been shouting loudest over the last few weeks jumping on the bandwagon again. Yes, nobody is denying we had a decent squad but you could argue the same about a number of clubs who finished below us. Some people on here seem to think we should have been guaranteed a top 2 finish and that 4th is a failure. This, in my mind, is a ridiculous view.

In terms of Upson and Ulloa, we did come top of the table in the second half of the season when they were here.

How boring, another of the apologists who obviously support the view we should be grateful we had any success and that we were punching above our weight and in no way a top 2 squad, which was the opinion purported in the post I was responding too, and one that came out of Poyets mouth on many occasion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How boring, another of the apologists who obviously support the view we should be grateful we had any success and that we were punching way above our weight, which was the opinion purported in the post I was responding too, and one that came out of Poyets mouth on many occasion.

No, I would regard it as a realist who doesn't think we have the god given right to come in the top two. Yes, Poyet wasn't perfect, had his moments and probably does need to leave now, however that doesn't mean he has to be slagged off and his achievements diminished. It is genuinely sad that people feel the need to slag him off now despite the fact that he took us from bottom 6 in League 1 to 4th in the Championship.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
despite the fact that he took us from bottom 6 in League 1 to 4th in the Championship.

With by far the biggest budget and improvement in facilities since 1982. His success had as as much to do with him coming to our club at exactly the time Tony Bloom took full control and backed him to the hilt as Poyets ability. It was a two way deal and Poyet will come to realise the grass aint always greener.

Back to the OP. Ridiculous statement. We are a decent managerial appointment from Promotion with 2 or 3 decent playing additions to the side.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No need to panic yet. I agree that things may well happen quickly once the Poyet matter is sorted.

Ok a new manager will need to get settled in but as suggested on another thread I reckon if we are in the top half around Xmas then we can kick on form there. Look how rapidly we went from 10th to 4th in the last few of weeks of the season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I think people keep forgetting this. The squad we had at the end of the season was good enough to finish top 2. The only transfers we need to make are to replace Bridge and Bridcutt (probably), and sign Upson on a permanent deal.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Mid table for us next year. Bridcutt looks like he will go and to be fair he has earned a move. The players must be unsettled and this business about the date they are due back not being set in stone proves we are in a right state. Shame last year was fantastic!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Still no manager confirmed for next season either way and not 1 player signed......

cimg1635.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
did i doze off, is it end of July with the season a couple of weeks to start? or is the OP being a drama queen?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Still no manager confirmed for next season either way and not 1 player signed......

No we f**king haven't. Not a single ball kicked and already you're being negative. Gus has been on official leave until this weekend, so even if he hadn't been suspended he wouldn't have been doing anything.

We haven't even crossed the line from closed season into pre-season yet.

Starting to get really boring guys, why not wait until we are actually behind schedule before writing off the club.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Yep we have definitely BLOWN IT! Every other club will be having player-management bonding sessions right now,every other club is also signing loads of players and have already started training!!! No other team will be on holidays right and I bet the queue to get a pie in the East stand will be worse this season nearly as bad as the trains I may have to leave at half time!!!!!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think it was that 8-0 defeat on the first day of the season that did it. No way back from that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here