Have to say well done Saints

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Errrr...........two seasons ago they got 30,000+ in the second tier for Bristol City, Palace, Pompey, Reading, Doncaster, West Ham, the Albion and Coventry, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

I too am surprised by their attendances - third in the Prem and over 4k empty seats - they rarely sell out.

However, I will say that they now have an excellent team and play some brilliant stuff. They remind me of us back in the Gus days :whistle: (but a lot better)

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
I too am surprised by their attendances - third in the Prem and over 4k empty seats - they rarely sell out.

However, I will say that they now have an excellent team and play some brilliant stuff. They remind me of us back in the Gus days :whistle: (but a lot better)

Most of the empties were because Fulham only brought a few dozen fans. However, to be honest 5.30 KO on Saturday at £34, game on tele, during a recession with every other thing like energy and food sky rocketing but wages not might have kept a few on their sofas. Oh, and it was only Fulham. One of the bigger clubs and it would have been sold out. Plenty of clubs in the Prem don't sell out any more. Even possible to get ticket to the Emirates on the day and Liverpool have not sold out for yonks apparently.

Most of the empties were because Fulham only brought a few dozen fans. However, to be honest 5.30 KO on Saturday at £34, game on tele, during a recession with every other thing like energy and food sky rocketing but wages not might have kept a few on their sofas. Oh, and it was only Fulham. One of the bigger clubs and it would have been sold out. Plenty of clubs in the Prem don't sell out any more. Even possible to get ticket to the Emirates on the day and Liverpool have not sold out for yonks apparently.

Fair enough - however you have yet to have a sell out this season , all your fixtures , except Palace, have been sub 30k.

I read that you are thinking of increasing the capacity from 32k - is this necessary?

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Fair enough - however you have yet to have a sell out this season , all your fixtures , except Palace, have been sub 30k.

I read that you are thinking of increasing the capacity from 32k - is this necessary?

we haven't yet had any of the bigger clubs. Last season we easily sold out for the big clubs. Personally I don't yet think there is any need to expand but maybe extending the Northam and Kingsland stands one level to raise the capacity to 44k would be possible (the foundations were designed to take it) but not until we are well established in the top half of the table. I believe there would be demand there, the thing is no one ever looks at the price of the tickets. In the Prem the difference in total income for the season between a ticket price of £34 (for a game like fulham) and £24 is really not that significant compared to the gazillions of pounds the TV money brings in. Would rather see the ground extended AND the price come down to see more people in total and a better bigger atmosphere. Can't see us ever selling 44k tickets at £34 for a mid table game. Maybe for the big games. Who knows? Big is not always better.

Feb 14, 2010
we haven't yet had any of the bigger clubs. Last season we easily sold out for the big clubs. Personally I don't yet think there is any need to expand but maybe extending the Northam and Kingsland stands one level to raise the capacity to 44k would be possible (the foundations were designed to take it) but not until we are well established in the top half of the table. I believe there would be demand there, the thing is no one ever looks at the price of the tickets. In the Prem the difference in total income for the season between a ticket price of £34 (for a game like fulham) and £24 is really not that significant compared to the gazillions of pounds the TV money brings in. Would rather see the ground extended AND the price come down to see more people in total and a better bigger atmosphere. Can't see us ever selling 44k tickets at £34 for a mid table game. Maybe for the big games. Who knows? Big is not always better.

Totally agree. Both Brighton and Saints can get 30,000 for an average game, so with Spurs or Arsenal in town then 45,000 is easily achieved, even if by only giving Spurs / Arsenal 10,000 away end. But then you dont want a ground which is too big for the smaller games. Perhaps safe standing could help that, put seats in for smaller games and then take out seats in some areas to get the extra in for the bigger games.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Totally agree. Both Brighton and Saints can get 30,000 for an average game, so with Spurs or Arsenal in town then 45,000 is easily achieved, even if by only giving Spurs / Arsenal 10,000 away end. But then you dont want a ground which is too big for the smaller games. Perhaps safe standing could help that, put seats in for smaller games and then take out seats in some areas to get the extra in for the bigger games.

Or have an upper tier that is only used for the big games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports