Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Happy International Men’s Day.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1329333628145373184[/tweet]

The tragic thing is people will see this as somehow "a brave stance" or some other bollocks, when the reality is these issues impact both men and women (the main victim might be the man but they will often have wives / children who are secondary victims), in the same way many of the issues highlighted on International Women's Day (such as rape and abuse) primarily impact women directly but have an indirect knock-on to men too. People seem too willing to create some sort of divide here, where it's seen as a competition and "why should I care about x because I'm y?".

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Just slightly of topic and to concentrate on the pandemic of suicides and depression.

What I’ve discovered from speaking to many teens and young adults who are suffering with depression is that at their lowest moments, they are not thinking of anyone in particular – or anyone for that matter. They simply can’t think or experience any reality beyond the pain and anxiety they are feeling at that moment.

In lucid moments, they may have the perspective to see their struggle but when depression or whatever mental illness they’re suffering from takes hold of them, they don’t have that perspective.

A young man suffering from depression recently said, in response to the adage that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem: “You don’t get it, depression ISN’T a temporary problem! It’s a permanent problem.

In other words they simply don’t have the option out, just like someone doesn’t have the option out when they’re involved in a fatal car crash or when an embolism erupts in their brains.

The point is, when their illness takes over, it’s like any physical illness. They simply don’t have the option out.

As survivors, we must find a way to accept that this was not a rational choice.
The illness of depression takes that choice away from them.

They did not die from suicide…they died from depression. The choice was not theirs.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
“Isn’t it wonderful to have a penis”

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just slightly of topic and to concentrate on the pandemic of suicides and depression.

What I’ve discovered from speaking to many teens and young adults who are suffering with depression is that at their lowest moments, they are not thinking of anyone in particular – or anyone for that matter. They simply can’t think or experience any reality beyond the pain and anxiety they are feeling at that moment.

In lucid moments, they may have the perspective to see their struggle but when depression or whatever mental illness they’re suffering from takes hold of them, they don’t have that perspective.

A young man suffering from depression recently said, in response to the adage that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem: “You don’t get it, depression ISN’T a temporary problem! It’s a permanent problem.

In other words they simply don’t have the option out, just like someone doesn’t have the option out when they’re involved in a fatal car crash or when an embolism erupts in their brains.

The point is, when their illness takes over, it’s like any physical illness. They simply don’t have the option out.

As survivors, we must find a way to accept that this was not a rational choice.
The illness of depression takes that choice away from them.

They did not die from suicide…they died from depression. The choice was not theirs.

It's not a pandemic though is it?

Since awareness has accelerated around mental health those suffering are beginning to rightfully be heard and hopefully helped. Many studies have been done to ascertain why the young are suffering much more than the older generation. Many factors are in play here but the education of the youth is much more focused around the subject. The idea that the young have a "harder" time of it these days in frankly rubbish it down to awareness.

Age is a major factor to frailness of the mind to the youth as it is to the body of the old. As you get older the uncertainness of life disappears somewhat through life experiences. Also there's been research around the use of social media and the effect it has on interaction between peer groups, to the detriment to mental health, there a body of thinking this is certainly a major issue. We are all aware of keyboard warriors and bullying. The older generation are less likely to engage in these practices.

To many the horrors of war is written into history and something we will never have to experience first hand but I'm not sure how the young would cope with it if it happened. The ignorance that those young men who went to war especially in WW1, many believing it was going to be glorious unaware of the horrors they be witnessing.

The attitude of stiff upper lip is still prevalent amongst the older generation and people continue to find it hard to express their true feelings, the youth, fortunately are taught to. There's still a long way to go. My son 18 suffers badly and when he was 14 missed a year of schooling due to this. I was threatened by the education authority of court action, CAMS was frankly useless but we paid privately for the help he needs and now he receives help through my company sponsored private health scheme.

I remember as a child seeing my father suffer from mental illness and he institutionalised for a period and then dumped back out into the community without any help, we have moved on.

Similar studies have been done on the apparent rise of autism and it can be related to mental health. Is autism on the rise or are we more in tune with it? Older generations always remember the "special" children in school, those that disappeared to a different classroom. Understanding and empathy is better but still has some way to go.

Back on topic, men's day if anything should remind us all to give a mate a call, who perhaps we've not spoken to for while, to see how they're doing, engage with each other. Oh and feel your nuts and get your prostate checked.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
It's not a pandemic though is it?

Since awareness has accelerated around mental health those suffering are beginning to rightfully be heard and hopefully helped. Many studies have been done to ascertain why the young are suffering much more than the older generation. Many factors are in play here but the education of the youth is much more focused around the subject. The idea that the young have a "harder" time of it these days in frankly rubbish it down to awareness.

Age is a major factor to frailness of the mind to the youth as it is to the body of the old. As you get older the uncertainness of life disappears somewhat through life experiences. Also there's been research around the use of social media and the effect it has on interaction between peer groups, to the detriment to mental health, there a body of thinking this is certainly a major issue. We are all aware of keyboard warriors and bullying. The older generation are less likely to engage in these practices.

To many the horrors of war is written into history and something we will never have to experience first hand but I'm not sure how the young would cope with it if it happened. The ignorance that those young men who went to war especially in WW1, many believing it was going to be glorious unaware of the horrors they be witnessing.

The attitude of stiff upper lip is still prevalent amongst the older generation and people continue to find it hard to express their true feelings, the youth, fortunately are taught to. There's still a long way to go. My son 18 suffers badly and when he was 14 missed a year of schooling due to this. I was threatened by the education authority of court action, CAMS was frankly useless but we paid privately for the help he needs and now he receives help through my company sponsored private health scheme.

I remember as a child seeing my father suffer from mental illness and he institutionalised for a period and then dumped back out into the community without any help, we have moved on.

Similar studies have been done on the apparent rise of autism and it can be related to mental health. Is autism on the rise or are we more in tune with it? Older generations always remember the "special" children in school, those that disappeared to a different classroom. Understanding and empathy is better but still has some way to go.

Back on topic, men's day if anything should remind us all to give a mate a call, who perhaps we've not spoken to for while, to see how they're doing, engage with each other. Oh and feel your nuts and get your prostate checked.

Its not a pandemic you are right ,I was just trying to reinforce the fact that suicides are going up !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here