Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Had forgotten just how good Will Buckley was

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009

Sorry was a bit bored and was trawling through Albion related youtube and came across this.Some of the tricks and flicks were pretty damn good imho.

Decent player and will always be remembered for his brace in the first Amex league game. £1m fee from Watford wasn't it? Remember thinking at the time wow we've spent a mill on a player and we've just signed another watford player for £30m

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Buckley and Calde terrorising the tiring opposition in front of the East is still very much a cherished AMEX memory.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Deceptively quick,I love how all of his goals apart from the wind assisted free kick and the deflection hardly left the ground after he'd hit the ball,if I was Will I'd of sued my own Hamstrings.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Buckley and Calde terrorising the tiring opposition in front of the East is still very much a cherished AMEX memory.
That was one of the few downsides being a Westie during those years, we rarely got the chance to see them do that in close up, unless we lost the toss and were attacking the south in the second half.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Loved him. We got the best out of him but not for long enough unfortunately. A player who really got me off my seat. Can't remember how many times he played alongside Vicente, who was here at the same time. I know we could beat Harlem Globetrotters today but in that period with Gus we played some great stuff too.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
That video makes me wonder why we found it so hard to get out of the Championship, there's some great football in those clips. Easy to forget what a tough division it was.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Another of our wide players who unfortunately got his career shortened by injury
was a very good player who scored lots of match winners

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Wonder how he would do in this current Albion team? Clearly had bags of natural talent and if it wasn't for injuries I think he would offer something. Maybe massive rose tinted glasses.

The Noone to Buckley goal v Doncaster still one of my favourites.

Still only 33.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Deceptively quick,I love how all of his goals apart from the wind assisted free kick and the deflection hardly left the ground after he'd hit the ball,if I was Will I'd of sued my own Hamstrings.

Nothing deceptive about it imo. He was just rapid.

Jimmy Grimble

I was certain he would become a solid Premier League player. He had bundles of pace, skilful direct dribbling and was an excellent finisher - comfortably the best at the club at the time.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Without the injuries he could have been a top, top player. Such a lovely player.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I lost count of how many points he bagged us in that first season with the amount of late winners he scored.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Incredible player. No winger since, has got me as excited when he gets the ball - until Mitoma. (Not even Knockaert)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wonder how he would do in this current Albion team? Clearly had bags of natural talent and if it wasn't for injuries I think he would offer something. Maybe massive rose tinted glasses.

The Noone to Buckley goal v Doncaster still one of my favourites.

Still only 33.
Who knows? we need to remember that he was starring for us in the Championship though, not the Pemier League. We'll never now whether a fit Buckers would have graced the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here