Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Grounds for Optimism

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re: positions at the back. What’s the problem? Webster has played on the left of a back three, White plays on the left of a back two, Clarke and BDB are left footed. One certainty is Dunk plays in the middle.

Has played? Not for us he hasn't. Not for any length of time anyway, where was he? Ipswich? It doesn't mean he's going to be good at it in the Premier League.

My personal view, total guess mind, is that it will be 3 at the back (predominantly) and Burn is in pole position for that spot. Dunk, Veltman, White and Webby fighting over the other central defensive two spots. Battle royale.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I’m quite looking forward to not facing a Chelsea team with Hazard or Willian chief architects of our downfall against them over the last three seasons.

I'm hoping the first game of the season will just be a chance for their new players to find their feet...they can run amok the rest of the time, but take the first game to bed in.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I am more worried a lot of fans are getting carried away with where we are and will turn if we hang around the bottom three for a while.

I have seen your post in the BW thread, yeah sure there are a number of doomsayers, but I think you are a tad guilty of confirmation bias, there are plenty of us on here that were optimistic all season, even to the point of "oh well if we get relegated it will give us a season in the championship to get Potterball working properly" I for one do expect better things this season, maybe only a couple of places higher up, but without the nagging fear of relegation. The groundwork put in place by the management is gradually seeing a very competent squad coming together. One thing is for sure, while we might go up and down between the championship and PL our days in Divs 3 and 4 (showing my age here) are over.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Has played? Not for us he hasn't. Not for any length of time anyway, where was he? Ipswich? It doesn't mean he's going to be good at it in the Premier League.

My personal view, total guess mind, is that it will be 3 at the back (predominantly) and Burn is in pole position for that spot. Dunk, Veltman, White and Webby fighting over the other central defensive two spots. Battle royale.

Dunk is first name on the team sheet surely as captain and our best player? White has his work cut out proving to Potter in pre-season that he deserves a spot over Webdini or Veltman, if he does that can only be a good thing though! I actually think Clarke is currently ahead of White in the pecking order as he only has Burn ahead of him as a left footed CB in a back three and Burn is currently the first choice LWB...

Cue derision from our friendly Leeds fans...

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Numez ? Who is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he played for Newcastle and Real Madrid, really good in his day.
Santi.jpg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One certainty is Dunk plays in the middle.

Yeah. I’d go with that on a 3-4-1-2

—————————Ryan————————-
—————White—-Dunk——Burn————-
Lamptey—Bissouma—Pröpper—-New LWB
————————-Lallana————————-
—————Maupay———New No.9————

However, we might be a lot more defensive on the first game of the season:

—————————Ryan————————-
Veltman——Webster——-Dunk———Burn
———Bissouma———-Stephens————-
—-Groß————Lallana———-Troß———
———————-Maupay————————-

Whatever happens, we’ll be having benches packed with great options and talent.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah. I’d go with that on a 3-4-1-2

—————————Ryan————————-
—————White—-Dunk——Burn————-
Lamptey—Bissouma—Pröpper—-New LWB
————————-Lallana————————-
—————Maupay———New No.9————

However, we might be a lot more defensive on the first game of the season:

—————————Ryan————————-
Veltman——Webster——-Dunk———Burn
———Bissouma———-Stephens————-
—-Groß————Lallana———-Troß———
———————-Maupay————————-

Whatever happens, we’ll be having benches packed with great options and talent.
That 5-3-2 with Jamal Lewis and Eduoard (we can dream), looks outstanding.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I think the same as you said here.
I just get worried that the longer we sit in the Premier league the louder and louder the comments of things like "top ten or bust" and "we might as well go for it instead of being mid-table/relegation fodder" will get.

We have excellent management running the club so why worry about some supporters who have am inflated ego about where we should be. TB has sunk serious money to realise his and our dream. He clearly is someone who creates and follows a long term plan. As long as these fans don't embarrass the rest of us in the same way a vocal bunch of Leeds fans have done to many of their sensible colleagues, who cares.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Relegation and the Championship is still a possibility but will have been considered and wouldn't put the Project off track.

Having said that, I think there is less chance of that this season than the last three and I will be happy to see any improvement. I'm optimistic that I'll finish the season happy :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here