Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Great that white is picked but

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Southgate may not rationalise it like this, but he must realise that the reason he HAD to pick White over Ward-Prowse is because he had already picked at least two liabilities in central defence (Maguire [may not be fit] and Mings [hopeless]). I've seen comments that the reason W-P didn't get the nod was because Henderson proved his fitness. I very much doubt that was the motivating factor (esp as Henderson was lumbering around not doing much in the 2nd half of the Romania game). The fact that it took the late injury to a RIGHT BACK to allow Southgate to bring in an extra central defender just underlines how feeble the selection process was.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If Henderson or maguire pull up injured during the group stage - Southgate's days are numbered.

do you really think that he will get sacked , he is their ideal 'model' manager they aren't worried that he is not so good on the footballing side if he ticks their other boxes.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Because that back three were part of a team who finished 16th in the league perhaps?

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise for my serious response.

No I wasn't being sarcastic.
We finished 16th because we failed to score goals.
Nothing to do with our back three,infact they were so good they probably kept us up.
It's crazy not to take them.

They are a ready made English back three unit.
No worries about club rivalries, not playing regularly together ,fitness worries or mistakes waiting to happen with our lads.
And they are top class too.

But I do agree with MJ ghost in that it would be a huge call to drop the overhyped players and I think thats maybe the point you are making too?

But at least Ben White is going which is a good start but I fear Southgate will realise to late(if he hasn't already) when Maguire can't play,Ming's gives away a penalty,and stones passes back to an opposition striker,and it Southgate think s to himself"shit,I should've just taken the Brighton back three shouldn't I".
Especially if Ben White stands out as miles better than the rest of them which I can see happening.

But what's done is done now,I hope I'm proved wrong and we go on to win it.

Apologies if you were being sarcastic and I have waffled on unnecessarily:lolol::lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So pleased for White but genuinely gutted for Dunk and also feel for Webster. All three would be much less of a risk as they are all fit and have the bonus of being part of one of the meanest defences in a team that finished close to the bottom.

I see I have just posted similar feelings to Pint of Ale

I think you could say the meanest ENGLISH defence in the land.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because that back three were part of a team who finished 16th in the league perhaps?

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise for my serious response.

BHA faced a total of 127 shots on target last season. In the entire division, only Chelsea (109) and Man City (100) faced fewer. Our defence as a unit (especially once Maty was binned) was absolutely superb - and given the remarkable continuous spaffing of chances, it needed to be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BHA faced a total of 127 shots on target last season. In the entire division, only Chelsea (109) and Man City (100) faced fewer. Our defence as a unit (especially once Maty was binned) was absolutely superb - and given the remarkable continuous spaffing of chances, it needed to be.

You go ahead and take the negatives :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here