Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Great news for Arsenal fans

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Mesut Ozil intends to stay at the club until the end of his contract in 2021 :clap2:

Mesut Ozil has revealed that he intends to stay at Arsenal until the end of his contract in 2021.
Speculation about the German’s departure has intensified after a start to the season that has seen Ozil left out of several of Unai Emery‘s matchday squads.
But Ozil has said he will not leave Arsenal until the end of his contract at the Emirates Stadium.

“No. I have a contract until the summer of 2021 and I will be staying until then,” Ozil told The Athletic. “When I signed the new deal, I thought about it very carefully and said it was one of the most important decisions of my footballing career.
“I didn’t want to stay for just one or two more years, I wanted to commit my future to Arsenal and the club wanted me to do the same.”
Ozil has been frozen out by Emery in recent weeks, but is believed to have played in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Reading during the international break.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you've posted this on the wrong website. You want North London Library Chat

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have a contract until the summer of 2021 and I will be staying until then,” Ozil told The Athletic. “When I signed the new deal, I thought about it very carefully and said it was one of the most important decisions of my footballing career."

Translation:

Ozil: This is one of the most importany decisions of my football career. I need to think about it very carefully. What's the deal?
Agent: £15.6m a year until 2021.
Ozil: Give me a frickin' pen you knob.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Damn. I was hoping this was going to be a "Arsenal signing Mr Tumble in January" story.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Think we’ll see a big rise in top flight footballers running their contracts down now.

Force through a move for an extra 20k a week and a 200k signing on fee plus whatever the agent charges or hold tight
, run down your contract and tell any club who wants to sign you on a free that they’ll have to give you a large chunk of the money they just saved by not having to pay a transfer fee; 5m to the agent & 5m to the player.

Özil is motivated by greed, he’s just doing it in a smarter way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In other words nobody, absolutely NOBODY would touch him with a shitty stick all the while he's "earning" £350k a week. He has zero options to move anyway, so may as well just run his contract down.

Arsenal have been proper mugged off by him and his agent. More fool them.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If his general on-pitch demeanor is anything to go by, he probably just can’t be bothered moving. Too much like effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
I don't blame him. It's not greed it's common sense as no one else is going to pay him anywhere close to £300k a week.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think we’ll see a big rise in top flight footballers running their contracts down now.

Force through a move for an extra 20k a week and a 200k signing on fee plus whatever the agent charges or hold tight
, run down your contract and tell any club who wants to sign you on a free that they’ll have to give you a large chunk of the money they just saved by not having to pay a transfer fee; 5m to the agent & 5m to the player.

The thing that I think has changed is the fact they know they can go to China etc after the contract and earn similar. Whereas in the past, if you were content to spend the career I the reserves nobody would touch you with a barge pole, now they know a club will take them on.

A shame as he was a decent player.

I also think we have to be prepared for having players like this ourselves. Not necessarily saying we have any now, but we sign players on long term contracts on bigger money than they would get in any other European league. the fact that we buy younger players has meant it hasn't happened so far

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I always find this kind of statement strange. Aren't we all ? Would you do you job for free ? Would you move jobs if someone else offered you considerably more money ? If you were offered your pay NOT to do your job ( as Ozil is here ) would you say no ? Despite the figures involved I don't think footballers are any different from the rest of us in that respect.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I always find this kind of statement strange. Aren't we all ? Would you do you job for free ? Would you move jobs if someone else offered you considerably more money ? If you were offered your pay NOT to do your job ( as Ozil is here ) would you say no ? Despite the figures involved I don't think footballers are any different from the rest of us in that respect.

I know what you mean, but isn’t it a little tough to make that comparison? If someone is on £30k per year and they are offered £20k elsewhere, then even if the new place is a better fit, the move would be incredibly difficult for normal people. Where you get to £300k vs £200k PER WEEK, then maybe it’s a damn sight more relevant whether you’ll be happier / playing / etc. The money is surely just ego at this point?

Don’t they get tired of flicking through Bugatti catalogues trying to decide what to do with their cash?

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I know what you mean, but isn’t it a little tough to make that comparison? If someone is on £30k per year and they are offered £20k elsewhere, then even if the new place is a better fit, the move would be incredibly difficult for normal people. Where you get to £300k vs £200k PER WEEK, then maybe it’s a damn sight more relevant whether you’ll be happier / playing / etc. The money is surely just ego at this point?

Don’t they get tired of flicking through Bugatti catalogues trying to decide what to do with their cash?

I think it's also the security of it, with the extra 100k a week you can continue or start a lavish lifestyle with even less of a worry that you'll end up bankrupt or have to scrape by

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Perhaps Arsenal could buy Mr Tumble in January and as part of the deal loan Ozil to Palace for 18 months and only ask for Palace to pick up 2/3 of his wages.
Sounds like a great deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here