Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Grandson's first match

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Taking my grandson to his first ever match today - he's nearly 7. We're travelling with Seagull Travel and sitting in West Upper.

Any tips from anyone who's done similar in how to manage fidgety boredom, toilet breaks, food, swearing (what does f*cking c*nt mean, grandpa?) etc?

Cheers
Sully
1) Cover up his eyes when the words to 'Sussex By The Sea' are shown and tell him he has to learn it by trying to hear the ones that do know it, amongst that ones mumbling as they're not sure, as some fans think it's tin pot to have them on the screen.
2) Give him any bottletops as they don't search kids.
3) Give him a running commentary on the game & never take any gadgets.
4) When the oppo goalie takes a goal kick and everyone does 'you're sh*t ah', I always found it very hard not to join in, so I adapted it after a few matches of biting my tongue. Instead of saying 'sh*t', I used to put my finger on my mouth and say 'ssshh', and if you let him join in at later match put it with the caveat that although he hasn't said a naughty word, he shouldn't do it anywhere else but the football. If it becomes such a habit that he's still putting his finger to his lips at 18 you'll have to make him sit on his hands for goal kicks. He's probably already heard the swear words so is unlikely to ask you what they mean, if he does, just say you don't know because you never say rude words.
5) Teach him the words to any chants that don't have swearing in them that start & sing them together even if you're the only ones in that section. You can do pre-match teaching sessions at home with YouTube before matches.
6) If we lose don't get the hump, point out the good parts and if there weren't any, make some up as he wont remember & just say how much you've enjoyed watching the game with him.
7) Don't go in the club shop just in case he blags a shirt out of you.
8) Make sure he puts on extra clothes as it gets cold sitting still up there.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it even if we don't win, Jnr's been going since he was 5 & I don't think he's ever got bored. All these years later we still go together but that's only because I pay for his ticket, he finds me embarrassing for many reasons but the main one is singing the wrong words to the chants. :lolol:

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Thank you all for your sound and amusing words of advice.

He loved the whole experience, apart from the result obviously, and has asked to come again. I had to tell him that the guy behind was yelling "the ref can't count" in a funny accent.

As advised, I gave him a commentary of what was going on and he managed to concentrate for the whole match. When we were 2-0 down, he said if they score a third I am going to cry - but he managed to supress his tears, just.

A future season ticket holder I hope!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I see you indoctrinated him into the communal angst early.

However I think yesterday might be regarded as child abuse.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ear protectors?
iPads?

Jesus wept. Leave them at home on their phones listening to self care and wellness podcasts.

Ear protectors! Heavens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here