Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Government to introduce independent regulator

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61211255

Crouch called the government's endorsement of the review "an enormous step forward" but also said that the unclear timeframe for making the changes is "worrying".

No direct timeline for implementing the changes has been announced but the government said a white paper - policy documents which set out proposals for future laws in detail - will be published in the summer.

The new regulator will be backed by laws which allow it to hand out punishments and have financial oversight of clubs, meaning it can investigate and gather information.

It will also apply the new "enhanced" owners' and directors' test which will replace the current tests carried out by the Premier League, Football League and Football Association.

This follows Roman Abramovich's ongoing sale of Chelsea amid government sanctions and a Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle United in October 2021 among others. Both ownerships were criticised by Amnesty International UK.

The new test will be implemented before acquisition but also on an ongoing basis.

Oh dear Newcastle, just have to hope SA isn't in the news for human rights abuses!

It will include a new 'integrity test' for owners and executives and stronger investigations before a purchase, including sources of funding.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont need politics in football. good luck with law dictating how clubs should be run, and when we disagreee, find law cant be changed or takes years. ownership wont really be adressed without wholesale change to companies law, so this area will be window dressed

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm sure Dido Harding will make a success of this when she is appointed.

You can see that the Albion are getting ahead of this with the fans' board, and the mainly blue strip clause. no doubt there will be other aspects that the board will disagree and I can see the actual appointment being delayed and delayed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here