Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Football Governance Bill

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that the government should start " regulating" its self before starting on football. Plenty of other things for them to sort out if only they had the brains.....thinking about it, wouldn't Johnson make an apt front man for a football club buy out.. ? " We will build a new 100,000 seat stadium for the club, free pies on match day, Champions League football in 18 months.. "

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i dont understand why anyone thinks redistribution would solve anything. financial mismanagement causes collapse, more money just means more spending before that point.
I tend to agree with this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That bit about blocking clubs from joining closed competitions "which are judged to harm the domestic game" is pretty clever wording.

It's not outright saying it'll never be allowed to happen. Which is what the stance should be. Easy to imagine something similar to when the PL was formed where the regulator is placated by a trickle down of funds handily sidestepping the 'harm' bit.

Reserving judgement though. Could just be the cynic in me.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Kay Burley ripped the minister a new one on this earlier on Sky News.
He didn't sound any better than that tosser from FIFA tbh

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Sadly as far as ownership is concerned the horse has already bolted, the dirty money is already here. Given the ownership at Newcastle & City human rights can not be used as something to be considered when applying the fit and proper persons test.

I do think it could aid clubs further down the pyramid being taken over by charlatan's though.

In principle I think this is a positive development, but in practice I remain sceptical as to its effectiveness. Let's hope the regulator is a force for good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For many reasons this is a complete and utter waste of everyone’s time. Does any one actually think this will come to anything?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Great news if football is going to have a regulator - as long as it has the teeth of a killer whale and a determination to redistribute the disgusting wealth of the PL around the game as a whole. No-one needs £200,000 a week or an £80 million transfer fee. Feed the grass roots!

And if any clampdown meant that many of the players sitting on the bench at places like Chelsea go and play the game they are supposed to love somewhere else in the world, great. There is no reason for most of the top players to be in the PL, nor for money to trump brilliant stewardship and creativity in recruitment as a reason for a club’s success.

Modern football is sick. Regulation to ensue fairness is the cure - in football as in life.

But - a huge but - I don’t think this government, of all governments, will do this, and it’s just another focus group suggested clueless sop to the ‘Red Wall’ idea along with 30p Lee’s promotion. The ideas come from the FSA, not the Sports Minister, of course.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i dont understand why anyone thinks redistribution would solve anything. financial mismanagement causes collapse, more money just means more spending before that point.
Sadly I think that's a valid point. Increasing the income stream for a badly-run club just means it'll go bust owing millions rather than thousands - it's like giving an alcoholic more beer. What is needed more is a mechanism to stop clubs from spending money they haven't got in order to reach league positions they can't sustain.

And in case anyone's thinking "yeah you would say that now Brighton have their snouts in the PL trough" it's something I've banged on about many times in the past on here, ever since we were in League Two at Withdean.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think this Government are absolutely horrific in so many ways. However, I have to applaud them on this even if they do sell the ‘anti-super league’ bit as ‘anti-EU’. Well done Tracey Crouch.
That’s pretty much how I feel about it. There are good and bad people in both Government and opposition and I’d put Tracey Crouch in the ‘good camp’. I have no doubt all their good intentions will be ruined by some expensive lawyers re: the Super League, but at least they’re trying.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
To be honest, I generally worry about government involvement in anything…
Quite
For many reasons this is a complete and utter waste of everyone’s time. Does any one actually think this will come to anything?

But - a huge but - I don’t think this government, of all governments, will do this, and it’s just another focus group suggested clueless sop to the ‘Red Wall’ idea along with 30p Lee’s promotion. The ideas come from the FSA, not the Sports Minister, of course.
Yes, a lot of reason to be sceptical at this stage - this is only a policy paper ( and as said, proposals are FA/fan led not Government led) so let’s see if it actually happens and whether the ‘regulating body’ has any teeth.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Great news if football is going to have a regulator - as long as it has the teeth of a killer whale and a determination to redistribute the disgusting wealth of the PL around the game as a whole. No-one needs £200,000 a week or an £80 million transfer fee. Feed the grass roots!

And if any clampdown meant that many of the players sitting on the bench at places like Chelsea go and play the game they are supposed to love somewhere else in the world, great. There is no reason for most of the top players to be in the PL, nor for money to trump brilliant stewardship and creativity in recruitment as a reason for a club’s success.

Modern football is sick. Regulation to ensue fairness is the cure - in football as in life.

But they won’t introduce a salary cap or transfer fee limits.
They also will not regulate agents!
Shame.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Here’s the BBC story (Athletic is paywalled / subscription, no idea why the OP picked that to share).

Football regulator: UK government confirms new independent body
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536218

Here are the bullet points from that article.

View attachment 157498
Every single one of those is a very good thing and what many on here have called for. Perhaps this much maligned government have finally got something right?
Come on, you know you can't say that on NSC! Is there a facility for Mods to give themselves a short ban? :wink::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
you wont like it once it happens.

energy and water are heavily regulated, doesn't stop problems occuring, just means someone imposing a fine on some organisation after the fact.
Yes but they were also privatized by Maggi Thatch. That's what buggered up energy and water. The analogy doesn't hold.

Just been listening to Tracy Crouch. She responded to a Newcastle fan complaining about the state ownership of Newcastle. She responded by saying that Disney, Uber and goodness knows what else have part ownership by states, and China is all over everything. Newcastle man replied, correctly in my view, that having some shares is different from having total control. He might have added that HMG eventually vetoed the Chinese state taking over one of our major companies (something to do with telecoms - I forget the details), so there ought to be some scope for preventing the more challenging take overs.

So, bottom line, the fit and proper ownership test may be strengthened so that a spiv with no money can't buy a near-bankrupt club for a pound, only to make it properly bankrupt months later (Bury), but it won't stop sports washing.

But if it nips in the but the break away super leagues, as @Guinness Boy pointed out, I'm in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d be 100% in favour of the big six buggering off and forming a European Super League, what a shame
Did you have the same view when we were in fifth place? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fans power to stop clubs changing badges and colours…is this really an issue? I know there’s a few isolated cases from time to time but 🤷🏻‍♂️
It was a massive issue in Hull. It was also a massive issue at Carduff.

I am not bothered by small beer when here is also some big beer.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I heard Sky reporting that David Sullivan was against it because the Government can’t run anything properly and it will cost a fortune. I thought, fair enough, doesn’t sound like a good idea to me just the Government looking for votes. Then later I heard Paul Barber say that it was necessary because football had not regulated itself properly. If it’s good enough for PBOBE it’s good enough for me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here