Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Good Seagulls Article From Forbes

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Good article imo;we are still way better off than a lot of other clubs even with Potter being gone:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgar...n-much-of-the-premier-league/?sh=20ed18277ed3

It was little wonder the departing Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter asked Seagulls fans for forgiveness.

Fresh off an impressive 5-2 victory over Leicester City, with the Seagulls riding high in the Premier League, Potter decided to jump ship to Chelsea taking the majority of the club’s backroom staff with him.

As a consequence, it’s the club's under-21 coach taking first-team training sessions assisted by veteran midfielder Adam Lallana.

“I may not be able to persuade you all to forgive my departure – but I would at least like to take the chance to say thank you,” Potter wrote in an open letter to fans. “I hope that you will understand that at this stage of my career, I felt I had to grasp a new opportunity.”

Unusually, for a departing soccer coach, Potter also offered some words to whoever follows him at Brighton: “To my successor, whoever that may be, I would say, ‘congratulations’. You’ll be working for a great club with a fantastic squad, supported by a great chairman and board,” Potter added.

Read more on the Forbes site via the link

:bhasign:

Last edited by a moderator:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
'Never won a major trophy' be damned!

1910: The only ever team from the Southern League to win the Charity Shield and become champions of all England. That's the Charity Shield! Against the actual football league champions.

It's not some poxy full members cup that the best teams in the country didn't even take part in. Imagine trying to claim that as your one major honour when you pretend that your club's been running for about 956 years just because there was some bloke called Nigel kicking a loose helmet around at the end of the Battle of Hastings!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
"Moneyball doesn't work with football".

I've seen that said by many on here and other football related social media.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"The new owner set in motion plans to build a new stadium for the club and created a structure that saw them sustainably climb the divisions."

That's not quite right ... but apart from that, it's a reasonable article from an unexpected source.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Good article imo;we are still way better off than a lot of other clubs even with Potter being gone:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgar...n-much-of-the-premier-league/?sh=20ed18277ed3

It was little wonder the departing Brighton & Hove Albion manager Graham Potter asked Seagulls fans for forgiveness.

Fresh off an impressive 5-2 victory over Leicester City, with the Seagulls riding high in the Premier League, Potter decided to jump ship to Chelsea taking the majority of the club’s backroom staff with him.

As a consequence, it’s the club's under-21 coach taking first-team training sessions assisted by veteran midfielder Adam Lallana.

“I may not be able to persuade you all to forgive my departure – but I would at least like to take the chance to say thank you,” Potter wrote in an open letter to fans. “I hope that you will understand that at this stage of my career, I felt I had to grasp a new opportunity.”

Unusually, for a departing soccer coach, Potter also offered some words to whoever follows him at Brighton: “To my successor, whoever that may be, I would say, ‘congratulations’. You’ll be working for a great club with a fantastic squad, supported by a great chairman and board,” Potter added.

:bhasign:

Read this yesterday Popeye , very good article , great to see we are building respect in the U.S.A. long may it continue:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
"The new owner set in motion plans to build a new stadium for the club and created a structure that saw them sustainably climb the divisions."

That's not quite right ... but apart from that, it's a reasonable article from an unexpected source.
Bloom also took over in 2009 officially, not 2008. Decent read otherwise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hi [MENTION=42698]Popeye[/MENTION]

I know you're new round here so I'll cut you some slack, but when linking to articles including the url at the start is a great start and should be done by everyone, but then please only post a snippet of the article so that people do read it on Forbes and not NSC.

I've edited the OP accordingly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I bet DK and MP would be thrilled at that line.

Other than that though, good article.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'...club like Brighton...' :moo:

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Hi [MENTION=42698]Popeye[/MENTION]

I know you're new round here so I'll cut you some slack, but when linking to articles including the url at the start is a great start and should be done by everyone, but then please only post a snippet of the article so that people do read it on Forbes and not NSC.

I've edited the OP accordingly.

Oh ok thanks friend I'll remember that:thumbsup:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

That line annoyed me but, reading it again, it’s quite ambiguous. It can be taken to mean the plans already existed before Bloom set them in motion - which he did, by stumping up the money.

I agree though most readers aren’t going to interpret it that way. Shame there’s not a nod to the previous regime. It only makes the story better.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I think some of you are being a bit precious. Ok so some of the facts have been condensed and it doesn't specifically mention Dick Knight, the 'war years' or our exile in Gillingham. But this is an American publication retelling British history and taking that into account it is surprisingly accurate; certainly there is nothing in there that's an outright falsehood. I've read worse pieces about our history in British publications.

Thanks for sharing [MENTION=42698]Popeye[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here