Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good managers who seem to have reached their sell by date

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes I think that Brucey has come out of this very well. He is the only one to do so.

I wonder what he'll do next. I'm sure he'll need a break to get a bit of therapy and spend his payoff millions, I but I suspect he'll do a bit of punditry and i'm sure will eventually try to get another manager's job. He actually has a pretty decent CV. I really hope he take a lower level job, draws Newcastle in the cup, knocks them out and celebrates wildly in front of the Gallowgate

Lol yeah, he's a big Toon fan though, so l doubt he would doo too much celebrating should that ever happen.

A bit like Chris Hughton l olften think, and being a fellow defender as a player that's what his tactics are largely based on. Again like Chris a competent Championship manager with a record of getting teams promoted to the top league, but perhaps struggling a tad once he has achieved that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lol yeah, he's a big Toon fan though, so l doubt he would doo too much celebrating should that ever happen.

A bit like Chris Hughton l olften think, and being a fellow defender as a player that's what his tactics are largely based on. Again like Chris a competent Championship manager with a record of getting teams promoted to the top league, but perhaps struggling a tad once he has achieved that.

I think we can apply the past tense to this sentence!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some have imo but there are a few mentioned on here who haven’t come close to sell by date. Benitez is one of them imo

Chris Wilder is an interesting one, he’s had one bad season :shrug:

Indeed.

Whether a manager has reached their "sell by date" or not cant only come down to results because pretty much every non-Potter manager who has been in the game for 10+ years get sacked somewhere at some point and more often than not its down to bad patience/boards without football knowledge than the quality of the manager.

I think if you look at "sell by date" you should instead look at the type of football, on whether they bothered to tag along in the evolution of the sport.

Just look at the Spurs game the other day. For once they thought "lets try this thing with applying pressure higher up the pitch". But if you are the weaker team and do that you usually need to play three central defenders. The advantage with having three central defenders is that other players dont have to get back immediatly and cover spaces because your extra man at the back will help decrease the spaces on the own half, making it tougher to just successfully hoof it past your pressure. What it lead to for them was that the players clearly were instructed to pressure high but probably felt the urge to stop those 2v2 situations between Kane & Son and Newcastle CBs. So everyone pretty much ended up in no mans land. That is poor tactics - trying the modern stuff without having a real understanding of how to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here