Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Golf Irons...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My Kid brother, is looking for a set of Irons roughly around £200, i dont think he will get much for that, he currently has a set of wilsons which where my old clubs, im trying to convince him what he will get for £200 will not be much better than he has currently.

any advice or in the know about cheap deals at the moment?

He currently plays off 23-25

Ta

toff79

Aug 8, 2011
callaway diablo 270 at American golf at the moment little bit more then what he wants to pay but nice set of irons

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Has he looked for a decent set 2nd hand? There are plenty of knob-end golfers out there that buy the latest clubs every 5 minutes in the hope of buying a lower handicap, so you can pick up some real bargains.
He might even end up spending less than £200 and could put the difference towards a few lessons.

You might even be able to get a club pro to undercut some of the prices at the bigger retailers - particularly if you go for some lessons too!

D

Deleted member 18477

Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Steel Shafts - Clubhouse Golf Direct

I recommend these for the price.

I have a set of Callaway X-20's and love them, he has used them a couple of times and to be fair he does hit them pretty sweet.

can you go in for a fitting @ American Golf?

i'm glad someone's got a thread about golf clubs...

whats the best full set these days? where can i find a decent set for a relatively low price? and what brand would you recomend? i want to get back into golf ready for spring/summer and i'm a bit out of touch with all things golf (apart from what i see on the tele at the majors/ryder cups).

budget ideally £200-£500...? are the more expensive sets THAT much better etc? any help would be good! maybe even a 2nd hand set? or is it better to buy new?

my level of play is shit. almost a beginner again in truth.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
second hand Pings

job done

Would agree with this! Bought Ping Raptures to replace my Wilsons a couple of years back and haven't looked back! Bought them from American Golf!

If you buy last years or the previous years model you should get a very good deal. However, if I buy again I will definitely go to a proper golf club and try out on the range to get a good feel! Indoor net is ok but not ideal! You could try Mid Sussex Golf Club, great selection, first class driving area and really friendly pros! At least you can get an honest opinion and try out some irons!

For the record, I am not a member there but got a great feel when I played there and it is close to Brighton!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Would agree with this! Bought Ping Raptures to replace my Wilsons a couple of years back and haven't looked back! Bought them from American Golf!

If you buy last years or the previous years model you should get a very good deal. However, if I buy again I will definitely go to a proper golf club and try out on the range to get a good feel! Indoor net is ok but not ideal! You could try Mid Sussex Golf Club, great selection, first class driving area and really friendly pros! At least you can get an honest opinion and try out some irons!

For the record, I am not a member there but got a great feel when I played there and it is close to Brighton!

I am a member there, but i doubt anything in the price range of £200

Unfortunatly he wants new clubs as his previous sets have all been second hand, to be fair he's pretty handy with the sticks, less than an inch short of a hole in one on the 13th at mid sussex

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012

Unfortunatly he wants new clubs as his previous sets have all been second hand, to be fair he's pretty handy with the sticks, less than an inch short of a hole in one on the 13th at mid sussex

That's fair enough but they will not pressure sell like they might do in some shops! This would allow him the chance to get a feel of the type of club he would like and look around if needed!

Hitting a bucket of balls on a range is better than half a dozen in a net I believe! Golf clubs last for years so no point rushing the purchase!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

He'd still be better off getting better quality, slightly older clubs. Technology does move pretty quickly, but £200 on clubs that are 2 years old will still buy better technology than a (relatively) cheap new set - he'd be able to get what was top of the range.

I still use irons (Pings) that were 2nd hand when I bought them in 1996. I must admit, I'm starting to think about replacing them, but they've done me proud and I can still play to about 10 with those little beauties.

I get that he wants new clubs, but if he can be pursuaded, he would be MUCH better off to go 2nd hand (with the budget he has). The only advantage I can see in going for new is if he were to get a fitting service so the clubs are selected to suit him and tailored for length, offset, flexibility of shaft etc.

Just a thought (in no way related to the advice above), but does your kid brother fancy a set of 2nd hand Pings from c 1992?! :lol:

To be honest, I won't be selling those babies to anyone - much more useful as a spare set for visiting mates and a fallback if & when I get some new irons in case I don't get on with them...

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
justgolfclubs is a seller on e-bay with his stock in a spare room of his on Warleigh Road. seek him out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here