Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Retail Park

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I have no problem shopping there and occasionally do. Every time I am there, it makes me think about times gone by. I really wish there could be some kind of commemoration to the Albion at the site, with a few facts and interesting bits of info about the club's history

Jimmy Grimble

There was another thread about how much you would invest in the Albion if you won £50m on the lotto, well I have just worked out how I might spend some of it...I would buy up all the shops built on the site of the Goldstone, raze them to the ground and then install astro pitches for people of the city to play sport on...be that football/hockey/netball etc, surely that would be far more beneficial than a parade of shops and might help Albion fans through the trauma of what happened to our ground by playing sport on the very site of it.

What a pleasent thought, Gully. I will be at the FGR Lewes match on Saturday, hopefully they can get their season back on track.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have no problem shopping there and occasionally do. Every time I am there, it makes me think about times gone by. I really wish there could be some kind of commemoration to the Albion at the site, with a few facts and interesting bits of info about the club's history

Pretty much my view on it.

Pathetic, It's one thing not shopping there, thats your choice. But wishing that the shops go bust leaving thousands of people without works is very very sad.
How would you like it if we wished your employer went broke ???

Iknow times are hard at the moment, but I don't think that the shops on the GRP going bust would put THOUSANDS out of work - a couple of dozen at most I would suggest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I can't even drive past the place, at least until Falmer's built. Will never shop there, it would make me :cry: and :sick:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There was another thread about how much you would invest in the Albion if you won £50m on the lotto, well I have just worked out how I might spend some of it...I would buy up all the shops built on the site of the Goldstone, raze them to the ground and then install astro pitches for people of the city to play sport on...be that football/hockey/netball etc, surely that would be far more beneficial than a parade of shops and might help Albion fans through the trauma of what happened to our ground by playing sport on the very site of it.

Interestingly one, personally I'd build a stadium there and have the training pitches at Falmer. I live 20 minutes walk from the Goldstone, but when we left there I lived 20 miles away and wasn't old enough to have pints on the way. Can't imagine how excited I would be if we were still there.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Iknow times are hard at the moment, but I don't think that the shops on the GRP going bust would put THOUSANDS out of work - a couple of dozen at most I would suggest.
No but they are all chains of shops are they not ? So for the shops on GRP to go bust, would mean the entire chain would need to go bust, thus leaving thousands out of work !

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
Have only been to the retail park once last year (not to buy anything, just to look at and remember) and found the experience quite surreal, had to have a couple of beers afterwards to calm down. Wouldn't want thoses business to go bust but would quite happily see the Focus store around the corner disappear!! Seeing that made me very angry!!!:rant:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think I would physically sick it I went to pay for something at the tills of one of these places. I have NEVER walked pass the threshold and never would. When we are in Falmer I may start as there would be no point.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't say I have ever had a problem shopping there. The Goldstone was great in the 70s when we packed it with 33,000 but lets not look at it with rose tinted specs. It's main stand was dilapitdated and didn't even go the length of the ground. Most terraces were condemned and we've always known that we could never properly develop the ground because of restrictive covenants.

At the end of the day, we were always destined to leave and I suspect what actually pisses most people off is actually the manner in which we left. The ground was sold for considerably less than it's worth as was seen by it's resale a year later, and we had not got a new ground to go to. Had Knight been on board considerably earlier then we would still have left the Goldstone but we would have had a new home to go to.

No but they are all chains of shops are they not ? So for the shops on GRP to go bust, would mean the entire chain would need to go bust, thus leaving thousands out of work !

errrr no

and as they are sitting on my spitual home, i would quite happy to see them go bust. after all we nearly did as a result of them sitting there...........

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Can't say I have ever had a problem shopping there. The Goldstone was great in the 70s when we packed it with 33,000 but lets not look at it with rose tinted specs. It's main stand was dilapitdated and didn't even go the length of the ground. Most terraces were condemned and we've always known that we could never properly develop the ground because of restrictive covenants.

At the end of the day, we were always destined to leave and I suspect what actually pisses most people off is actually the manner in which we left. The ground was sold for considerably less than it's worth as was seen by it's resale a year later, and we had not got a new ground to go to. Had Knight been on board considerably earlier then we would still have left the Goldstone but we would have had a new home to go to.

Still rather be waiting at the Goldstone for Falmer than at Withdean.

The Goldstone was crumbling and the east terrace was on its way out, however we could still have games like the below

>>>>>>>>

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
errrr no

and as they are sitting on my spitual home, i would quite happy to see them go bust. after all we nearly did as a result of them sitting there...........
f*** me it's not the shops fault we nearly went belly up is it ! It was the crooks that run the club at the time. And I think you'll find the shops don;t even own the land.

Anyway who gives a f*** your right it was our home and and I'll always be gutted about the way we had to leave.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
What Lush and Spider said. It's easy for me being a London based supporter to avoid the place, but if I lived next door to it I'd still shop elsewhere. The memories are still far too fresh to just let go of them - this is not something I do as a choice, they're just still too strong to just ignore, especially when we get a fortnightly reminder of the loss of our home when we have to put up with Withdean.

You want to shop there? Fine, go right ahead. But don't dismiss the feelings of those of us who'll never set foot in the place - just because you don't share them, doesn't make them any less real, or any less valid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here