Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldstone pics

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cigars..fing cigars. The noise of a full East terrace at the Goldstone or when I was following England at the old terraced Wembley. Nothing like it but I much prefer the Amex overall and its actually closer and easier to get to for me. Wembley though I would go back to in a heartbeat.

Wembley - great England trips with our secondary school. 92,000 evening capacity sell outs, rammed into a stadium half the footprint of the new stadium. Absolutely magical for a kid. The roars and singing ear-piecing.

But by the time of the 1991 playoff final, I thought it was a bit of a rusting dump, the low tier pitch and long distance from the pitch (due to the former greyhound track) not good.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So where would I rather be going tomorrow? The Goldstone of course. THAT is our real home.

I really like the Amex now. But the Goldstone, oh my god I loved that ground.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It really was a bit of a wreck by then.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Wembley - great England trips with our secondary school. 92,000 evening capacity sell outs, rammed into a stadium half the footprint of the new stadium. Absolutely magical for a kid. The roars and singing ear-piecing.

But by the time of the 1991 playoff final, I thought it was a bit of a rusting dump, the low tier pitch and long distance from the pitch (due to the former greyhound track) not good.

Yea it was an absolute shit heap by then after the half arsed attempt to make it a seated stadium. Same for the Goldstone it really was falling apart by the end.

was there for wembley 100,000 you could change ends at half time , stewards didnt even check.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yea it was an absolute shit heap by then after the half arsed attempt to make it a seated stadium. Same for the Goldstone it really was falling apart by the end.

was there for wembley 100,000 you could change ends at half time , stewards didnt even check.

If bored in games, we used to wander around stadia (between stands), we definitely did this at the Goldstone and Fratton Park. Stewards and police must’ve been more interested in the match, than seeing what some young urchins were up to. Even had a look around the rooms and ‘suites’ under the West Stand. Not a sole in sight, mid match.

I always remember being on the train from EP going into Hove and starting to jump about as the tops of the floodlights came into view. Quick pint in the Seagull Tavern, grabbing a programme before lining up to be frisked in my crombie to enter the NS.
Magic moments, never to be forgotten.

Do you mean from Angmering? I got on at Goring from 1972, child cheap day return to Hove 18p.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it?

That was the game I fell in love with. Now we have a game I'm struggling to stay in love with.

Don't get me wrong the Amex is wonderful but I'd swap it in a heartbeat to go back to those days.

Pull yourself together, man. Onwards and upwards. Never look back. Or the blood sucking vampires of dispair will have you. Fact. :thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Pull yourself together, man. Onwards and upwards. Never look back. Or the blood sucking vampires of dispair will have you. Fact. :thumbsup:

Of course this is right. But The Goldstone has a special place in our hearts, like the house you grew up in. We had such great times there, no matter what division we were in.
When I go past the Amex on the road I swell with pride and when I travel Old Shoreham Road I feel nostalgia . That is human, I guess.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course this is right. But The Goldstone has a special place in our hearts, like the house you grew up in. We had such great times there, no matter what division we were in.
When I go past the Amex on the road I swell with pride and when I travel Old Shoreham Road I feel nostalgia . That is human, I guess.

The only time I went back to the Goldstone was on the morning of the Spurs (I think it was) friendly - the 'opening' game at the Amex. To say goodbye. More than ten years after my last visit (the brief match against York).

I am a wallower s I try to not wallow. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here