Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground 1938 video footage

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Interesting to see the houses in Goldstone Lane were yet to be built.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
any of you know?

What are you on about Rev. Apart from the row of houses that yours was in, it doesn't look all that different. I seem to remember in the mid 50's most of the higher bit was concrete steps, towards the lower bit some of it was still a bare earth bank.
The real mystery is what appears to be a block of flats behind the Bellmans hoarding.

Goldstone.jpg Here's an even older pic. from behind the south stand. The queue for finding the right bike must have been a nightmare. :lolol:

What are you on about Rev. Apart from the row of houses that yours was in, it doesn't look all that different. I seem to remember in the mid 50's most of the higher bit was concrete steps, towards the lower bit some of it was still a bare earth bank.
The real mystery is what appears to be a block of flats behind the Bellmans hoarding.

View attachment 43787 Here's an even older pic. from behind the south stand. The queue for finding the right bike must have been a nightmare. :lolol:

In the footage you can see the chicken run which was the fenced off area at the bottom of the east stand,it was an extra charge to stand in this area level with the half way line,the modern day 1901 seats i suppose:blush:

View attachment 43787 Here's an even older pic. from behind the south stand. The queue for finding the right bike must have been a nightmare. :lolol:[/QUOTE]

MY UNCLE LATE FOR A GAME IN THE 30'S HAD A PUNTURE ON THE WAY TO THE GAME,HE LEFT THE BIKE BEHIND THE SOUTH STAND AND AFTER THE GAME FOUND THE BIKE ATTENDANT HAD FIXED THE PUNCTURE AND HIS BIKE WAR READY TO RIDE HOME,WHAT A GREAT WAY TO TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS:)

D

Deleted User X18H

Brilliant!!! the Golf club is it The Dyke or east Brighton GC???

Edit: I think its the Dyke?

Brilliant. Seen it before. It's all in Hove. Golf Club is Brighton & Hove pre Hangleton, the 18th used to be around Hangleton Park , now B&H is of course a nine hole.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Back in the 50's I cycled to the Goldstone and left my bike along with loads of others up against a tree in Hove Park.
No lock or chain needed.
After each game just jump aboard and peddle home.
Hard to imagine these days, hence one of the reasons we sometimes remember the "good old days".
Ha.. just showing my age!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Got a father's day card from my son today that he'd bought in Camden Market. 90s pic of a lad in a seagulls shirt, sitting on his dad's shoulders in the North Stand, with a view of the west stand in the background. Magic!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here