Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Golden Boy awards.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don't know about anyone else but I'm really excited to see Evan next season. Anyone who has written him off or even doubts his ability is a fool. I actually don't think he was suited to playing under RDZ although he's undeniably been challenged. Under a new manager, given a little less responsibility and the chance to just focus on scoring goals, I'm certain we will see the player we all know he is fairly quickly.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Where did you see that? On the link I posted (https://www.europeangoldenboy.com/golden-boy-index/) 14th is Jamie Bynoe gittens. Wharton is nowhere to be seen, which admittedly is quite weird.

Edit: Just seen the link I've posted is 'the top 100 candidates' and was last updated on 13th April. Where can I see the proper list?
The Note says that the index is based on performance between 3/10/23 and 27/03/24. Wharton spent most of that time in the Championship. This would also explain the absence of Barco and the injured Enciso.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
How many of these players would have been on the list of RDZ and his groupies would have gotten if they wanted?
"Backup left back, starting right back, two Caicedo/Alexis-class midfielders, and two world class subs for Mitoma and March".

If anything, the list indicate the strength of our model which RDZ wanted us to abandon for his 27-year-old Youtube-finds.
RDZ is a great coach, but the more I think about him and his team discussing recruitment with Tony Bloom, the more I see this scene in my head:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The biggest risk with having a large group of very young players is that their bodies are still developing, which of course can make them injury prone. We saw it with Tariq who's lost his explosive initial pace after hamstring after hamstring, Hinshlewood with a stress injury, a classic reaction to a change of load and impact. Enciso had to bulk up to play PL football. Remember when he wasn't strong enough? Definitely did gym work but was the knee anything to do with having the same running style with a different muscle mass? Ferguson seems utterly broken, despite being the strongest of the lot at one point.

Luckily, we sensibly balanced this with Lallana, Milner and Welbeck.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Where did you see that? On the link I posted (https://www.europeangoldenboy.com/golden-boy-index/) 14th is Jamie Bynoe gittens. Wharton is nowhere to be seen, which admittedly is quite weird.

Edit: Just seen the link I've posted is 'the top 100 candidates' and was last updated on 13th April. Where can I see the proper list?

Sorry it’s the Mail, didn’t realise till I clicked on it, I can’t find the original link I saw.

Anyway, it’s on there

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The biggest risk with having a large group of very young players is that their bodies are still developing, which of course can make them injury prone. We saw it with Tariq who's lost his explosive initial pace after hamstring after hamstring, Hinshlewood with a stress injury, a classic reaction to a change of load and impact. Enciso had to bulk up to play PL football. Remember when he wasn't strong enough? Definitely did gym work but was the knee anything to do with having the same running style with a different muscle mass? Ferguson seems utterly broken, despite being the strongest of the lot at one point.

Luckily, we sensibly balanced this with Lallana, Milner and Welbeck.
Yup, they're more likely to get injured and its pretty difficult to balance that. A lot of sports science strongly indicate that players under 21 should not play games at this level more than once a week. But of course everyone needs results. Lamptey was our best player at that point, Ferguson was supposed to be the key player this year, and we see lots of it other clubs as well - the demands for results override player safety.

A goalie or striker might sometimes be able to handle it, but giving large amounts of game time to a midfielder or full back over a short period of time should probably be illegal somehow. Because managers are not often going to take responsibility and in this competitive climate its difficult to judge them too hard. But there should be something or someone that says "stop" when it starts to get dangerous for the player.

Two solutions to that would be:

1. Actually doing SOMETHING about the ever-increasing wages/player&agent power that makes it impossible for most teams to afford have 22-23 grown arse men playing football.
2. Put some restrictions in place saying "Sorry, Jack Hinshelwood, Elliot Anderson and Stefan Bajcetic and so forth are kids and can't play twice a week for two months, you'll have to do something else even if you might risk losing a game or two because of it - tough luck. AND NO f***ing PAIN KILLING INJECTIONS FOR TEENAGERS, you cruel fuckers".

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sorry it’s the Mail, didn’t realise till I clicked on it, I can’t find the original link I saw.

Anyway, it’s on there

Thanks.

I can't find the current list anywhere. It's all a bit strange, you'd think somewhere would have a link to it.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Thanks.

I can't find the current list anywhere. It's all a bit strange, you'd think somewhere would have a link to it.

This is the current listing ("Last Update: 5th June 2024") - Golden Boy Index

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here