Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gold Digger Advice

My wife and I have chatted about this thread and both of us would have no objection if the ‘survivor’ in our marriage were to find happiness with someone else, but would be absolutely mortified if this resulted in cutting the offspring out of the will. It would never cross our minds.
P.S. It is more likely my wife will be the survivor as she is younger than me and healthier, not to say, better looking. I wouldn’t mind her going on the pull after I’ve gone, but DONT mess with the kids inheritance.😁

Similar real life situation, not a gold digger but...

My grandfather had two children (my mum and her brother) their mother (my maternal grandmother) died very young. He remarried and spent many years married and had another child with the second wife. He died and she inherited the house and all his possessions etc, she died a couple of years later but only named her son in the will leaving my mum and her brother (her step children) out completely.

I'm sure my grandad would have wanted his first two children to benefit in some way from his estate (even if it was just some personal items, let alone the house and savings etc) but obviously without any specific measures in place these things can often get overlooked.

I don't know what the solution would be, but worth thinking about if it is a scenario that could affect your family.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

My grandfather had two children (my mum and her brother) their mother (my maternal grandmother) died very young. He remarried and spent many years married and had another child with the second wife. He died and she inherited the house and all his possessions etc, she died a couple of years later but only named her son in the will leaving my mum and her brother (her step children) out completely.

I'm sure my grandad would have wanted his first two children to benefit in some way from his estate (even if it was just some personal items, let alone the house and savings etc) but obviously without any specific measures in place these things can often get overlooked.

I don't know what the solution would be, but worth thinking about if it is a scenario that could affect your family.

Yes indeed.
It shows how important making a Will is.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Yes indeed.
It shows how important making a Will is.

These sorts of situations are difficult though aren't they - because even a will may not help in that particular situation.

Mrs Bodian & I don't have children, but both have siblings / nieces. I've always been of the fairly laissez-faire opinion that when I die everything will go to Mrs Bodian anyway - so wasn't over bothered about a will. As we got older, and have more assets, we gradually began to realise that it's not so simple. Say, for instance, we were involved in a car-crash, and I died there and then - whereas Mrs Bodian lived for a few weeks and then dies. Everything I own would go to Mrs B, and then it would all go to her siblings and nieces - and mine would get nothing. Which can't be right.

But, if I wrote a will that leaves half my world to my nieces and siblings, what happens if I die years before Mrs B - she'd have to sell the house to pay my nieces!

Anyway, on the advice of a Solicitor we've written quite complicated wills that basically says what we both want - ie: everything to the other, then when the second one dies - split it all 50:50 and distribute each half accordingly. This is great - but entirely dependant on trust, as there is nothing that would bind either of us from changing our will after the other half dies. Unlikely for us - but I can see how tricky it could be.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
These sorts of situations are difficult though aren't they - because even a will may not help in that particular situation.

Mrs Bodian & I don't have children, but both have siblings / nieces. I've always been of the fairly laissez-faire opinion that when I die everything will go to Mrs Bodian anyway - so wasn't over bothered about a will. As we got older, and have more assets, we gradually began to realise that it's not so simple. Say, for instance, we were involved in a car-crash, and I died there and then - whereas Mrs Bodian lived for a few weeks and then dies. Everything I own would go to Mrs B, and then it would all go to her siblings and nieces - and mine would get nothing. Which can't be right.

But, if I wrote a will that leaves half my world to my nieces and siblings, what happens if I die years before Mrs B - she'd have to sell the house to pay my nieces!

Anyway, on the advice of a Solicitor we've written quite complicated wills that basically says what we both want - ie: everything to the other, then when the second one dies - split it all 50:50 and distribute each half accordingly. This is great - but entirely dependant on trust, as there is nothing that would bind either of us from changing our will after the other half dies. Unlikely for us - but I can see how tricky it could be.

My Father died young, my step mother has the lot. I've no idea what she'll do . . . she has 2 kids, my mum./dad had 2 and I have a half brother.

My Dad never met most of the grandchildren, but I'm sure he'd have wanted to leave them a slice. . . . be it via the 5 children or directly as his gran did, and my maternal grandmother did. . . . it would make a big difference to their start in life.

time will tell.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've just found myself in a similar sort of situation only the brazen hussy, in this instance, is an NHS Care Home looking to fleece my mum a grand per WEEK to look after her.
After mum had a severe stoke last November, Dad has remained at the family home but if he now dies before mum it's likely his will [not seen it, don't want to, none of my business really] leaves everything to his wife [my mum] of 70 years, which, depending on how long mum lives on for, will soon drain down any inheritance at a rate of £50+k per year. Although she is 88, she might go on a good while yet. Her needs are such that we can't look after her at home. Dad is 94.

Slightly different scenario here but I've set my expectation to a zero inheritance now - then if anything happens to materialise in the next 10 years, it's a bonus.
Also, don't think my mum is truly "happy" in the situation she now finds herself [total loss of independence].
Wouldn't wish this situation on anyone ....

Have a chat with AGE UK. Your Mum is still entitled to State Pension, and if it's a nursing home, Attendance Allowance, so the Home won't be taking the whole grand a week from the property.
Be aware that when the money runs out, she will have to find money from elsewhere or move to a council paid home. A friend of mine, a pensioner himself, had to take out a loan to keep his 90 odd year old Mum in the same home, with a single room because she had severe dementia and he couldn't bear to move her. AGE UK have some very useful advice.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I heard somewhere that the inheritance laws in France do protect decendants. A quick google found this: https://www.expatica.com/fr/finance/taxes/french-inheritance-tax-101812/#law which includes:

"Under inheritance law in France, the amount set aside as the reserve is as follows:
If there is one child, they receive 50% of the estate.
With two children, they receive 66.6% of the estate between them.
With three or more children, they receive 75% of the estate between them.
If there are no children, then the spouse can claim 25% of the estate."

Does seem fairer, on the face of it, compared with the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here