Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going too early?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
2 goalies on the bench because of this stupid 9 subs thing, it's unnecessary. And why shouldn't Locadia be on the bench?

Also, that wasn't an easy chance for Welbeck at all. He hit it a bit tamely in the end but it was no more than half a chance.

And the issue on Saturday wasn't about finishing or taking chances. If you're going to be critical of our performance it would be that we didn't pass well enough or create much at all.

Blimey, a 1 on 1 isn’t easy? Come off it, that was poor by Welbeck.

Re Locadia, with 9 subs put a couple of youngsters on the bench, so they get the experience of mixing with the first team, preparation etc., and if we’re winning by 2 or 3, give them 10 mins. I’d prefer to see any of the U23s instead of Locadia.

You’re right we didn’t create much, and Maupay worked his socks off, but every time we were in a position to cross we had no-one in the box, and had to go back a new start again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bit harsh on Welbeck . The through ball from Trossard whilst great in terms of potential didn't have quite the strength on it for him to take it in his stride which explains why he snatched on it.

I thought it was fine, Welbeck should have done better, absolute class by Trossard though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And Locadia was on the bench and Connolly was absent (presumably still injured and not risked).
Like it or not we have 4 senior strikers now and thats before you get into the argument of whether Trossard - who mostly played as a central forward on Saturday is in fact a centre forward.

Do you think he is though? (Trossard).

I don’t, and in terms of counting forwards that really is stretching it 😃

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Webster's absence is going to be tough but Potter still has option of a back three with Dunk, Duffy, Veltman or back four with Dunk, Duffy and various LB/RB/Wing back options.
Gross, Lamptey, Mwepu are far more likely to be ahead of Richards and Roberts and on Saturday he couldn't find a starting spot for March, Moder, Alzate, and MacAllister.

The idea of either Gross or Mwepu playing RWB for us again fills me with terror. One is far too slow, the other clueless in that position. I'd much rather we moved Solly over to RWB and played Cucurella at LWB until Lamptey comes back (for 45 minutes before the glass hammy goes again).

Just shows what a necessary signing Cucurella was.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The idea of either Gross or Mwepu playing RWB for us again fills me with terror. One is far too slow, the other clueless in that position. I'd much rather we moved Solly over to RWB and played Cucurella at LWB until Lamptey comes back (for 45 minutes before the glass hammy goes again).

Must admit was surprised we didn’t make that change Saturday rather than Moder

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Last season
Glass half full - we probably deserve more points than we have got.
Glass half empty - not interested just want to see points on the board.

This season
Glass half full - off to a great start beating the sorts of teams we struggled against last season and picking up points
Glass half empty - Not playing that well though are we.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Veltman will be fine there if we play a back 4 as we did in 2nd half on Saturday. And Lamptey could be back for Palace. But a fit Cucurella and March and Moder gives us a lot more options on the flanks and yes - I’d rather see Gross and Mwepu further up the pitch. So I think this is now quite remote .
Let’s hope Burn is back soon too but Porter has been quite cagey about his recovery.

And agreed - Cucurella had a couple of wobbles v Brentford but mostly looked very assured. Confident he’ll be an impressive signing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
with 9 subs put a couple of youngsters on the bench, so they get the experience of mixing with the first team, preparation etc., and if we’re winning by 2 or 3, give them 10 mins. I’d prefer to see any of the U23s instead of Locadia.

You mean like 19 year old Roberts and 20 year old Richards who train with the first team, have been on the bench this season, and already one of whom has been given his PL debut (10 mins v Everton )

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We've played last season's 17th, 22nd 10th and 23rd place teams. The three that we have beaten all finished below us. It's been very pleasing to take six points from two away games, but:

2020/21 we played the previous year's 4th, 13th, 3rd & 12th placed teams;
2019/20 we played the previous year's 11th, 10th, 16th & 1st placed teams;
2018/19 we played the previous year's 14th, 2nd, 4th & 23rd placed teams;
2017/18 we played the previous year's 3rd, 12th, 17th & 10th placed teams.

It's not a flying start, its hard fought wins against our close competitors. The team's shown a very welcome bit of steel, but no lessons are available as yet.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not sure why it matters - it just means that Potter has more options than simply saying he has 3 strikers.

The premier league have been very generous to moaning supporters of all clubs. They now get to question the managers sanity and chairman's commitment, based on the quality of the 8th and 9th choice substitutes for a particular match. Not good enough Sack them all!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you think he is though? (Trossard).

I don’t, and in terms of counting forwards that really is stretching it 😃

Trossard had a great game, held the ball up, laid of some great passes which were wasted and scored a great goal. Were you expecting a Ronaldo performance? :lolol:

Get off his back :wink:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Far too early. We have played only 1 decent team so far and they beat us.

Its fine margins in the PL. Watford, Brentford, and Burnley were too decent it appears for Arsenal, Palace, Villa and Leeds who all came away with either a draw or a defeat not 3 points.
And the decent Everton couldn't beat Leeds and got thrashed 4-0 by Man Utd. ( in a pre season friendly but hey)

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The "see - they didn't need to buy another striker" is the point I feel it's a bit too soon to be making a call on.

(I didn't really get that across very well in the opening post)

Yeah, its too early, but its too early for anyone to make any conclusion of any kind about any team or player yet this season. But there are a lot of media pages to fill

As for our strikers, there are a lot of people who will keep on saying 'we have no good strikers', and there's nothing that can be done about that until and unless the players prove them wrong.

I do know that if Maupay had come to the premier league this summer instead, joining another club, the thread bemoaning why we didn't sign him would be long and handwringing, and bounced after each of his goals this season. Ditto for Welbeck, with four goals in his last ten starts.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Its fine margins in the PL. Watford, Brentford, and Burnley were too decent it appears for Arsenal, Palace, Villa and Leeds who all came away with either a draw or a defeat not 3 points.
And the decent Everton couldn't beat Leeds and got thrashed 4-0 by Man Utd.

4-0 in a pre season friendly? NOTHING like a PL game but nice try :smile:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
He did OK in Germany I think, he also scored a worldy against Millwall to bring us back into the game and on the way to Wembley.

Maybe you’re the one whose memory has clouded with the witch hunt on NSC. Not even a footballer? His stats for BHA would suggest otherwise, maybe not a massive success but few of our strikers are and he didn’t play that much.

https://www.infogol.net/en/player/jürgen-locadia/3710

I am firmly in team Locadia

Yes,it was a mistake to sign him in the first place,he did not suit our system and was not a target-man.But he did score goals in Germany and Holland and has attributes.

I remember Mick Ferguson scoring 5 goals in 6 games.Anything can happen!!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Apart from the Watford game, it really doesn't feel like we've even properly got going yet... Which makes our position even more remarkable. It could obviously quite easily all turn to shit, but I don't think we've got near the levels we were at during parts of last season.

And we still have Lamptey to come back, Mwepu and Cucurella to settle in and hopefully Welbeck to find some form/fitness. Should be a good season...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am firmly in team Locadia

Yes,it was a mistake to sign him in the first place,he did not suit our system and was not a target-man.But he did score goals in Germany and Holland and has attributes.

I remember Mick Ferguson scoring 5 goals in 6 games.Anything can happen!!

I am expecting a Duffyesque come back and lots of big portions of humble pie for most of NSC, I have been known to be a bit of a dreamer when I back someone though in fairness :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Until proven otherwise I will stick with my 2/3rd but yes makes the article even more sensationalist.

I saw Locadia with my own eyes do a bit of a warm up and kick a ball v Brentford so i can confirm it is proven he exists, and he was on the bench as our striker back up .

Whether you rate him or not (clearly not !) is by the by given Potter obviously (as he did with Duffy) had a conversation with Ashworth etc at some point in the last few weeks and said he was comfortable with him as part of his squad and we should register him in our 25 as a fourth striker. Anyway we'll all see for ourselves v Swansea i imagine.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is too soon to declare triumph, of course. But need to enjoy these periods when they’re here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here