Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going Oop North

el punal

Me and the grandson are travelling up to Liverpool for the top of the table, Champions League deciding match of the season, extravaganza. This will be Harry’s (the grandson) BIG away trip of the season so he’s quite looking forward to it. Anyway, match tickets sorted, train tickets ready. Now I’ve done the Anfield trip a couple of time including the famous cup job of 1983 but I have a couple of questions :

Firstly, a decent, friendly pub that we can both go into without being called ‘a soft southern la’ - only joking with that one.

Secondly, best way to Anfield from city centre. Previously I’ve caught the Metro to Kirkdale or Sandhills, can’t remember which, and walked but it’s a bit of a trek.

Recommendations gratefully received - within reason! :cheers:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be careful around Swan Walk, some proper villains loiter around there.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Me and the grandson are travelling up to Liverpool for the top of the table, Champions League deciding match of the season, extravaganza. This will be Harry’s (the grandson) BIG away trip of the season so he’s quite looking forward to it. Anyway, match tickets sorted, train tickets ready. Now I’ve done the Anfield trip a couple of time including the famous cup job of 1983 but I have a couple of questions :

Firstly, a decent, friendly pub that we can both go into without being called ‘a soft southern la’ - only joking with that one.

Secondly, best way to Anfield from city centre. Previously I’ve caught the Metro to Kirkdale or Sandhills, can’t remember which, and walked but it’s a bit of a trek.

Bus from City Centre, as you are arriving by train Liverpool have a dedicated matchday team based in the station to help direct you to the most convenient transport services, including buses that will take you directly to the ground.

So just ask one of this team

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s not much more than a 30 min stroll from Lime St to Anfield….couple of miles or so.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s grim Oop North, have you had your jabs?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
There’s a nice pub down the road from the ground. I can’t remember the name of the road or the pub. It’s shaped like an iron, so maybe it’s called The Iron, or something. Sorry, that’s not helpful. The Football Ground Guide is normally good for that kind of advice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We'll be drinking in the city centre and then hoping on the 917 straight to Anfield. After the match there's normally a bit of queue so walking might be your best option if you have an early train back to Euston.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
There’s a nice pub down the road from the ground. I can’t remember the name of the road or the pub. It’s shaped like an iron, so maybe it’s called The Iron, or something. Sorry, that’s not helpful. The Football Ground Guide is normally good for that kind of advice.

The Flat Iron. That would be my suggestion. Doesn’t get too busy and no hassle for away fans.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
When we caught the train from Preston to Burnley a few seasons ago it was like that. My mate said the train had a puncture. :rolleyes:

Well they cannot get a puncture obviously but they can get a flat tyre !
This is caused by a wheel sliding along the track for a bit instead of rolling , funnily enough worse problem at this time of year when all leaves are falling !
The tyres on a train are metal rings fitted on the outside of wheels during maintenance .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here