Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals scored and failed to score stats from previous seasons after 8 games

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This, this, this.

So many people getting carried away by the shots stuff, which usually includes a couple of long range drives by the wind backs and another by Bissouma.

There is a massive difference between shots and chances. We don't create that many chances because we spend so long pissing about with the ball, and when we do create chances our finishing is inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There's sense in your argument.

The PL stats refer to "Big chances created".

I haven't got clue where we feature in 2020/21 stats for that compared to other. Possibly high?

Which leads to a second question of the % scored compared to that stat.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This season is a bit like the rash US election takes at 3am on Weds.
Wait until every point is counted...and the imminent blue (and white striped) wave...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As Potter says, football is a game of mistakes, you can tell it because there's not a lot of goals in this sport. The objective in football is to score goals, meaning that every time you dont, you make mistakes.

Thousands of thousands things lead to these mistakes. Take the five woodwork hits against United: if a player kicks the ball on a spot a centimeter or so from where they actually hit it, it could very well go in.

The fact that there is thousands and thousands of these mistakes to make on one hand says: "there is no such thing as bad luck". But the sheer amount of variables also says: "you can make marginally, bacteria-sized mistakes multiple games in a row without being shit".

I think the players in this squad are not much more prone to making mistakes than others and that in the long run these bacteria sized margins will pretty much even up. They are usually not the reason why any team win a title or get relegated. Most teams that get relegated made a lot of massive mistakes that didnt allow them to even attempt to do the marginal ones that are bound to sometimes lead to success.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't disagree with any of that, but for all our pretty build up we don't seem to be able to nail home any clear cut chances . . . . and/or hold onto an advantage. we are very much a work in (great) progress, but if and when it all clicks needs to be before we're in a confidence vacuum rooted in the bottom 3.

1. We have 11 goals, this is more than Man City, Arsenal and Wolves. We CAN score, we HAVE scored, it's just it takes us so many shots per goal, and we do squander a lot of clear-cut chances.

2. The four teams below us have scored a combined 20 goals, with no wins against the 16 teams above them. It is they - and not us - who should be devoid of confidence.

Indeed, you could argue that despite us having our deficiencies, with the 4 teams below us in woeful form then our chances of surviving a Premier League season have never looked so good at this stage.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This, this, this.

So many people getting carried away by the shots stuff, which usually includes a couple of long range drives by the wind backs and another by Bissouma.

There is a massive difference between shots and chances. We don't create that many chances because we spend so long pissing about with the ball, and when we do create chances our finishing is inconsistent.

I think that is a by-product of so many people getting carried by the points stuff.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
That failed to score stat is incredibly subjective. It doesn’t count any of Trossards shots that hit the post vs United for example.

Shots on vs off target and shots converted into goals would be more interesting to see.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That failed to score stat is incredibly subjective. It doesn’t count any of Trossards shots that hit the post vs United for example.

Shots on vs off target and shots converted into goals would be more interesting to see.

Not sure where to find team conversion rates, only individual.

The "not clinical enough" Neal Maupay scored 4 goals in 14 attempts = 28,57%.

If we compare him to some other PL strikers, this makes him about averagely efficient:

Vardy and Son are the most efficient in the league - 57% conversion rate.

Then there is a gap and we find Callum Wllson at 46,5% and Ollie Watkins at 40%.

Another gap and Salah, Ings, Calvert-Lewin and Lacazatte somewhere around 35%.

And then we find Maupay, slightly ahead of Diogo Jota, Timo Werner and Patrick Bamford, and a bit ahead of Harry Kane (24%).

Further down the list, below 20% we can find players like Aubameyang, Rashford, Firmino etc.

Below 10%: Mitrovic - 2 goals in 23 attempts! - and "would be a fantastic signing" Chris Wood.

Of course, it is early yet so these numbers will fluctuate heavily - one goal changes a lot. But since the doomsday cult is very quick to write off Maupay, its only fair to be equally quick to say: well, he's better than Harry Kane!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure what constitutes a FTS as in my mind we've passed up a lot of chances? Defensively we are improving we've let in just the 2 goals in 3 games and one of those was a disgrace of a penalty. The stats back up my gut feeling that we're unlucky rather than bad but the last two home games cannot be ignored and may point to a loss of confidence in front of goal time will tell I guess.

I think that once we go away again results will improve. We are set up to break quickly and struggle to create against teams that defend deep and counter on us.

I a gree but I just can’t see our forward players playing break football like we want

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

I think the 'failed to score stat' is 'number of games in which we failed to score', so 1 for this season as only against Burnley have we failed to score.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I a gree but I just can’t see our forward players playing break football like we want

I think away we look a threat and the pace we now have and opposition set up help us. At home people come to the Amex with a low block and our passing while still good tends to break down a bit in the final 3rd where I do think we overplay a bit. I think in that regard we also miss Alzate and his ability to go past his man which opens things up sometimes.

Too soon for certainties but hopefully Welbeck's superior movement will help us create more opportunities as he becomes integrated into the team.

Although the result vs Burnley was hugely disappointing we played quite well and we looked a class above them for most of the match,

1. I thought Burnley were toothless against us, for the second time in a row. Barnes and Wood did nothing, and they don't have their home crowd to help. I really don't see where Burnley's points are coming from, apart for the other 3 at the bottom.

2. Much of the above applies to Sheff Utd. They punched above their weight last season but lack of fans, no first season bounce and their small squad will hurt them.

3. We cannot continue to fail to score with 19 shots per game, similarly we cannot continue to be in 16th spot when the opposition are averaging less than 3 shots on target per game. Statistically, more will start to go in for us, and less will be conceded.

4. The bottom 4 will continue to struggle until at least the January window. Burnley need creativity, Sheff Utd need creativity and goals, Fulham and West Brom are short in all departments.

just one problem with that. Our. next 4 games are all against team at the top of the table. Soon we could be the team everyone is saying are the shiite of the division if we end up with six points from 12 games and by then at least a -10GD

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Points people, points.

Everything else is excuses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here