Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goalkeeper attacked and game called off in Australia

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They should be thrown out of Europe until they can prove they have got their house in order.

No more Eurovision Song Contest for the Aussies.
Is that more or less of a punishment than compulsory Eurovision though?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In terms of popularity though? I may be miles off but it feels like it's become more popular in the last 20+ years since the formation of the A league.

Nah I was born in the 70s and it was a pretty popular sport among all of the different cultural groups in the communities back then.

In my town there were clubs formed by English and Scottish immigrants that were then followed by the other European groups arriving in the 50s onwards.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Hasn't Australia always been 40 years behind the UK?
Some still believe skippy still lives on. It's crazy out there.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Hasn't Australia always been 40 years behind the UK?
Some still believe skippy still lives on. It's crazy out there.
And some think there was only one Skippy, whereas in fact there were several. Not sure what it will do to the country to when that news filters through.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Anyone remember Terry Alderman getting attacked in the outfield during an Ashes test

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone remember Terry Alderman getting attacked in the outfield during an Ashes test
No but I remember John Snow felling Terry Jenner and then walking over to the hill at the end of the over in 1971.
Screenshot_20221217-213804_Google.jpg

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I was watching this game the goal keeper in question appeared to throw a flare back into the stands and then it all went mental. I think the bucket was aimed at the ref and the goalie took it full in the face. Not sure why players need to get involved in flare removal in the first place.
Yes, some rather biased interpretations here!

Flares often get thrown onto football pitches in English football too - but what ‘fuckwit’ to quote someone on the twitter feed up thread, would then pick up a lighted flare (that didnt hit anyone initially btw) and throw it back into a packed stand of opposition fans and then stand there in front of them facing them off? - No wonder it kicked off and the other ‘fuckwit’ got a ‘bucket’.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Got tickets for Perth Glory v Central Coast Mariners in February, should I pack a bucket?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, some rather biased interpretations here!

Flares often get thrown onto football pitches in English football too - but what ‘fuckwit’ to quote someone on the twitter feed up thread, would then pick up a lighted flare (that didnt hit anyone initially btw) and throw it back into a packed stand of opposition fans? - No wonder it kicked off and the other ‘fuckwit’ got a ‘bucket’.
I don't think he intended to throw it back into the crowd, not turning around or aiming or anything, just throwing it and presumably thinking it would end up in the safe zone between fans and pitch.

Not gonna blame the keeper. If you try to throw a flare at someone, you have no valid reason to get angry if that person throws it back.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not gonna blame the keeper. If you try to throw a flare at someone, you have no valid reason to get angry if that person throws it back.
I’m not blaming the keeper for getting hit in the head with a bucket - no one should ever be ‘blamed’ for receiving injury inflicted on them by another person. However, I disagree with your comments - there is a valid reason for getting angry if a flare gets lobbed back into a tightly packed crowd, far more dangerous than throwing it on to a football pitch where nobody was standing - the flare was not thrown at the Keeper but onto the pitch.

Lots of media reporting that the keeper picking up the flare and lobbing it back towards the crowd is what triggered the pitch invasion

“The incident was sparked after a Melbourne Victory supporter threw a flare onto the pitch in the 20th minute.
Glover then picked up the flare which landed near him inside his penalty area and threw it back into the crowd.
A group of supporters immediately ran towards the pitch, pushed the advertising boards over and went to confront Glover.”

Full video here, the flare lands in the first line of spectators not in ‘no-mans land’ - or contrary to your suggestion above, very unlikely by accident. To paraphrase Costello, when it comes to pro-goalkeepers , “ Aussie Son, My Aim Is True“!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...nched-flare-stands.html#v-4505770440141589514

How would it look if Sanchez was to pick up a flare at the Amex and instead of putting into the metal bucket (which is what the buckets are for!) chucked it back into the crowd - I doubt it would go down very well in the PL.

Both sides were implicit in the game descending into chaos so let’s have a balance in how we view it.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Football is the mos played sport out here. Also, I believe one of the least subsidised.

Talking to a mate last night who's son was selected to play in a Western Victorian indoor representative team in Sydney. It was going to cost him about 3,300 before accomodation and flights for the rest of the family. The same lad does an AFL training thing with ex Geelong premiership players (legends of the game) that cost him $10 a week.

With such a large uptake in the game and a decent showing at the world cup (Australia came third don't you know - they only got beat by France and Argentina is the logic here I think). The A league should be thriving. Trouble is the lack of support at grass roots and a litany of ridiculous decisions on the part of the FA equivalent means that the game is in serious trouble over here (how much rather depends on who you talk to). This latest round of fuckwittery decision making has done something that no one ever thought possible in Australian Soccer. It has united the fans in their hatred of those in charge. I believe that all or most games this weekend will involve a walk out on 20 mins.

I am not excusing the behaviour of those Victory fans but it really doesn't seem to take much to light the blue touch paper at the moment.

If anyone is interested this is a post from a facebook friend of mine - I won't identify him - he is palace and would love the attention. But he knows his shit about Australian Soccer

I wanted to provide a bit of context to my last post as there have been a few casual fans or those that are based overseas that I've seen over the last couple of days who may not be across what is happening to Australian domestic football. There are also those perhaps suggesting that the backlash to the A-Leagues decision is an overreaction to moving a game of football.
After all, it's what the AFL and NRL do quite successfully.
To clarify, the massive backlash to this is NOT due to the decision to move a football match (although that decision is awful for a number of reasons that I won't go into here). It goes well beyond football.
The backlash is due to an organisation that has decided to disrespect, mislead, gaslight and outright lie to every single one of it's key stakeholders.
Australian domestic football fans are not naïve and they are not stupid. We KNOW we don't support a league that is of the highest quality. We KNOW that there are not sponsors lining up to give us cash. We KNOW that sometimes in order to survive, you have to think outside the box. We get it.
If the league is cash-strapped and needs this quick financial hit, then so be it. Be honest. Tell us and we will find a way to accept it, and will find a way to make it work. We've dealt with worse.
This is NOT what is happening.
This is NOT simply the league saying we need the windfall from a big financial deal and the fans rejecting the idea.
Danny Townsend and the APL (the group responsible for running Australian domestic football) have openly admitted that the focus groups they "consulted" about this concept indicated that they DID NOT support this move. They have openly admitted that they expected backlash. Yet they decided to proceed anyway. Fair enough, that is their prerogative. But they knew the fans didn't want this and still they marketed it as something that the fans wanted.
There was an immediate backlash to this and it was abundantly clear that this was not the case. They doubled down and INSISTED that the main motivation for this decision was the fans. A glimpse at any social media post (Original Style Melbourne, Melbourne City Terrace, Red and Black Bloc or The Cove as some of the bigger active supporter groups, For Vuck's Sake, Talking City, A-League Banter or A-League Memes as some of the more prominent supporter run sites/podcasts, or even any post on the topic by Optus Sport, Fox Sports Football (or any media outlet except 10 Football who have their heads so far buried in the sand they haven't even noticed this has happened yet)) will make the fan view immediately apparent. For the first time in history, social media is completely united!
The launch video for the idea featured footage of many Australian footballers taken out of context, to suggest they were in favour of this move. The likes of Socceroos and Adelaide United forward Craig Goodwin and CommBank Matildas and Sydney FC forward Remy Siemsen who featured in the video have both come out to say that they DO NOT support the move and have been misrepresented in the video.
On top of this, the initial post from the A-Leagues (released at 10:20pm on a Tuesday night!) doubling down on their insistence that this was both a unanimous decision AND in the interests of the game, had to be deleted and revised because it featured the names of several club representatives who had vehemently opposed the move. These included Perth Glory owner Tony Sage and Brisbane Roar FC chairman Chris Fong, who both indicated that they had not even been given an opportunity to vote on the proposal, which they claim was due to occur three days AFTER the APL announced the move. In addition, Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro resigned his position on the APL board because the backlash from fans was so strong he couldn't stand by the initial decision in good conscience (or keep both jobs, pick which you prefer depending on your level of cynicism). Smaller clubs such as Western United FC and Wellington Phoenix FC were never even asked.
Yet STILL Danny Townsend, Paul Lederer and the APL maintained their insistence that they are acting in the best interests of the game.
Finally, there's the timing of this. Even if you take the APL at face value and accept they are acting in the best interests of all parties and ignore ALL of what has been posted above. They've said that they expected backlash to the announcement... So why on Earth would you think that releasing a controversial announcement that was likely to divide the Australian footballing community was a good idea in the aftermath of the Socceroos performances at the World Cup?
Football in Australia had finally united in a way that has barely ever been seen.
We had momentum.
We had hope!
Why would any sane person possibly think that this was the time to risk dividing the fans? What possible benefit could that have? It is genuinely beyond comprehension.
When the APL took on the running of the A-Leagues, their promise was that the fans would take centre stage in their decision making.
They lied.
They continue to insist that this is a decision that the fans want.
They don't.
They continue to use images and video of fans, players and clubs who have clearly rejected this proposal as evidence that this is an idea that the Australian footballing community is behind.
They are not.
This is why Australian domestic football fans are apoplectic. This is why they are planning walkouts across the country. This is why they are willing to let the leagues that they have invested so much time, money and heart into, die. This is Australian football's "European Super League" moment, but rather than backing down as clubs in Europe did, the APL are doubling down on their ignorance.
This is why fans who have been there since the beginning are leaving. I am one of them. It's unlikely we'll be back.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Watched the video. The goalkeeper is an absolute idiot. Personally, I don't like the current trend of flares and can understand a player feeling vulnerable when he has his back turned - but to throw the flare into a random group of fans and then just stand there facing up to them. Bonkers and inciting further trouble.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Watched the video. The goalkeeper is an absolute idiot. Personally, I don't like the current trend of flares and can understand a player feeling vulnerable when he has his back turned - but to throw the flare into a random group of fans and then just stand there facing up to them. Bonkers and inciting further trouble.
Absolutely my point above.

That behaviour from players is not tolerated by the FA or PL over here for very good reasons - throwing pyrotechnics at anyone is really dangerous - no one should be doing it and they are banned here for very good reason - from June this year, fans will now get an automatic ban, possibly face criminal charges and players could see themselves at least red carded for throwing flares back into the crowds (and pitch invasion).

Richarlison was charged by the FA for doing the same thing (despite Everton trying to argue he was throwing it off the pitch.)

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Football is the mos played sport out here. Also, I believe one of the least subsidised.

Talking to a mate last night who's son was selected to play in a Western Victorian indoor representative team in Sydney. It was going to cost him about 3,300 before accomodation and flights for the rest of the family. The same lad does an AFL training thing with ex Geelong premiership players (legends of the game) that cost him $10 a week.

With such a large uptake in the game and a decent showing at the world cup (Australia came third don't you know - they only got beat by France and Argentina is the logic here I think). The A league should be thriving. Trouble is the lack of support at grass roots and a litany of ridiculous decisions on the part of the FA equivalent means that the game is in serious trouble over here (how much rather depends on who you talk to). This latest round of fuckwittery decision making has done something that no one ever thought possible in Australian Soccer. It has united the fans in their hatred of those in charge. I believe that all or most games this weekend will involve a walk out on 20 mins.

I am not excusing the behaviour of those Victory fans but it really doesn't seem to take much to light the blue touch paper at the moment.

If anyone is interested this is a post from a facebook friend of mine - I won't identify him - he is palace and would love the attention. But he knows his shit about Australian Soccer

I wanted to provide a bit of context to my last post as there have been a few casual fans or those that are based overseas that I've seen over the last couple of days who may not be across what is happening to Australian domestic football. There are also those perhaps suggesting that the backlash to the A-Leagues decision is an overreaction to moving a game of football.
After all, it's what the AFL and NRL do quite successfully.
To clarify, the massive backlash to this is NOT due to the decision to move a football match (although that decision is awful for a number of reasons that I won't go into here). It goes well beyond football.
The backlash is due to an organisation that has decided to disrespect, mislead, gaslight and outright lie to every single one of it's key stakeholders.
Australian domestic football fans are not naïve and they are not stupid. We KNOW we don't support a league that is of the highest quality. We KNOW that there are not sponsors lining up to give us cash. We KNOW that sometimes in order to survive, you have to think outside the box. We get it.
If the league is cash-strapped and needs this quick financial hit, then so be it. Be honest. Tell us and we will find a way to accept it, and will find a way to make it work. We've dealt with worse.
This is NOT what is happening.
This is NOT simply the league saying we need the windfall from a big financial deal and the fans rejecting the idea.
Danny Townsend and the APL (the group responsible for running Australian domestic football) have openly admitted that the focus groups they "consulted" about this concept indicated that they DID NOT support this move. They have openly admitted that they expected backlash. Yet they decided to proceed anyway. Fair enough, that is their prerogative. But they knew the fans didn't want this and still they marketed it as something that the fans wanted.
There was an immediate backlash to this and it was abundantly clear that this was not the case. They doubled down and INSISTED that the main motivation for this decision was the fans. A glimpse at any social media post (Original Style Melbourne, Melbourne City Terrace, Red and Black Bloc or The Cove as some of the bigger active supporter groups, For Vuck's Sake, Talking City, A-League Banter or A-League Memes as some of the more prominent supporter run sites/podcasts, or even any post on the topic by Optus Sport, Fox Sports Football (or any media outlet except 10 Football who have their heads so far buried in the sand they haven't even noticed this has happened yet)) will make the fan view immediately apparent. For the first time in history, social media is completely united!
The launch video for the idea featured footage of many Australian footballers taken out of context, to suggest they were in favour of this move. The likes of Socceroos and Adelaide United forward Craig Goodwin and CommBank Matildas and Sydney FC forward Remy Siemsen who featured in the video have both come out to say that they DO NOT support the move and have been misrepresented in the video.
On top of this, the initial post from the A-Leagues (released at 10:20pm on a Tuesday night!) doubling down on their insistence that this was both a unanimous decision AND in the interests of the game, had to be deleted and revised because it featured the names of several club representatives who had vehemently opposed the move. These included Perth Glory owner Tony Sage and Brisbane Roar FC chairman Chris Fong, who both indicated that they had not even been given an opportunity to vote on the proposal, which they claim was due to occur three days AFTER the APL announced the move. In addition, Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro resigned his position on the APL board because the backlash from fans was so strong he couldn't stand by the initial decision in good conscience (or keep both jobs, pick which you prefer depending on your level of cynicism). Smaller clubs such as Western United FC and Wellington Phoenix FC were never even asked.
Yet STILL Danny Townsend, Paul Lederer and the APL maintained their insistence that they are acting in the best interests of the game.
Finally, there's the timing of this. Even if you take the APL at face value and accept they are acting in the best interests of all parties and ignore ALL of what has been posted above. They've said that they expected backlash to the announcement... So why on Earth would you think that releasing a controversial announcement that was likely to divide the Australian footballing community was a good idea in the aftermath of the Socceroos performances at the World Cup?
Football in Australia had finally united in a way that has barely ever been seen.
We had momentum.
We had hope!
Why would any sane person possibly think that this was the time to risk dividing the fans? What possible benefit could that have? It is genuinely beyond comprehension.
When the APL took on the running of the A-Leagues, their promise was that the fans would take centre stage in their decision making.
They lied.
They continue to insist that this is a decision that the fans want.
They don't.
They continue to use images and video of fans, players and clubs who have clearly rejected this proposal as evidence that this is an idea that the Australian footballing community is behind.
They are not.
This is why Australian domestic football fans are apoplectic. This is why they are planning walkouts across the country. This is why they are willing to let the leagues that they have invested so much time, money and heart into, die. This is Australian football's "European Super League" moment, but rather than backing down as clubs in Europe did, the APL are doubling down on their ignorance.
This is why fans who have been there since the beginning are leaving. I am one of them. It's unlikely we'll be back.

That old participation rate thing has been dragged out for years now.

It's a meaningless stat. Yes people play it but people don't actually enjoy watching it out here in any great numbers.

The reason why it has high participation in juniors is that it's the parents who don't want their kids playing rougher sports.

A great many of those people whose kids play soccer will then go watch AFL for their sporting entertainment because the parents don't follow soccer, they follow the other codes of football or other sports.

Soccer will never get large viewing numbers out here because it's considered boring as f*** to watch by a lot of people who watch sport and secondly the whole having to have home and away fan sections at games seems like a complete and utter wanker concept out here.

And there's also lots of people like myself who follow an OS team but have zero interest in the competition out here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here