Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Gigs that you had tickets for and missed...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Didn't realise that they were still touring. Always enjoyed Love Sex Money as an album.

Missed gigs - Hanoi Rocks in Portsmouth was cancelled because Razzle had been killed just before in a car accident while out with Vince Neil of Motley Crue. Turned up at the Hammy Odeon in the pre-internet days to watch Marillion only to find out the gig had been cancelled because Fish had lost his voice. Turned down a ticket to see Ian Dury as I was busy and said I'd catch him on his next tour - sadly he died soon after that gig.

More recently, I missed the final Motley Crue tour as I had major knee surgery and couldn't get to the gig.

“I’ve only got three bullets and there’s four of Motley Crue”

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I missed PULP at the Event, October 1995. I put the tickets in a book I was looking at, then couldn't remember where I'd left them.
(I found them again around four years later. A guide book to Oxford, of all things.)

Glastonbury 1998. We had tickets, then we saw the weather there on TV and decided to stay in Brighton instead.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Had a ticket to see Buddy Guy two years ago and was too ill to go. Gutted doesn't describe it.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Lionel Richie today ....... oh, didn’t miss it, what a legend

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
This year I missed The Residents in Toronto as I was flying back from Indonesia via Australia and Los Angeles. Even if the flight had landed in time I would have been in no state to go.

In 1991 I had front row seats for Joe Jackson in Nottingham but gave them to a mate so I could make the playoff semi-final second leg at Millwall. Well worth it.

But I may hold a record for missing one band. I was very fond of a band called Superchick but the first 6 (SIX) times I had tickets I didn't get to see them. Either they cancelled or I couldn't get there - or once I was snowbound in Cleveland (argh!) and they were in Detroit. I did finally make it the 7th time, not long before they split up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Living in Somerset in the 90’s, a group of us would think nothing of piling into someone’s car and driving to London for gigs and driving home afterwards. It is motorway all the way so was always a fairly easy drive.

We had tickets to see Ornette Coleman at either the Barbican or RFH. We left at our usual time in the afternoon and had a terrible journey but not one where we thought we should give up. Let’s keep going we thought, we might catch the second set. So despite the hold ups we battled on into the city. Anyway, to cut a long story we parked up, ran to the venue and up the stairs to hear riotous cheers and thunderous applause. The venue steward let us in only to see Ornette and his band leave the stage having finished their encore.

Pretty sure that was the RFH. He certainly played there in the 90s and punters weren't allowed to leave the hall and come back - which was unlike any jazz band I've ever been to. Don't want to rub it in, but it was a great gig!

The only concert that I've missed though I had tickets was Franco at the Hammersmith Palais. The gig was cancelled because Franco had died the day before - pretty good excuse I reckon.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My current cystic fibrosis exacerbation once again has claimed a couple of gigs. The treatment is going well and with a following wind I should be discharged at least he said me of the week and in the interim the world cup is a most splendid distraction. Anyway, off the top of my head, over the last 20 odd years I have missed the following gigs which I have had tickets for due to being in hospital/ too ****ed up to get out of bed:

Lush, Stone Roses (Spike island), The Sundays, Mazzy Star, Julee Cruise, Nick Cave, Super Furry Animals (twice), The Pogues, My Bloody Valentine, Julia Holter (twice), British Sea Power, Steve Mason, Kate Bush, Grandaddy and this time Belly and Kristen Hersh.

Damn my shit genes

I've forgotten l loads more, but that's a decent festival line up (if you get rid of The Stone Roses)

If it makes you feel any better, I've seen six of those artists on your behalf.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Me and a mate had tickets to see Babyshambles on Worthing Pier, circa 2004. We were 16 at the time, and it was an 18+ gig - the doormen weren’t letting us in without ID.

My mate called his grandad (as you do), who promptly appeared and reassured the doormen that we were over 18, and even if we weren’t, we wouldn’t cause any trouble. We didn’t get in.

Pete Doherty turned up before the show, smacked off his tits, and stole my pen. Good times.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
NWA at Brixton. Only went because my mate (blonde blue eyed middle class Quantity Surveyor) thought he was a black guy from downtown LA rather than Bromley) we got robbed at knife point for our "chicken" (NWA tickets) by some real NWAs on the tube.

A salutary lesson for him. He stopped pretending that he was a NWA after that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My Canadian mate loved them, and gave me a couple of CDs last year. Not bas but I prefer Art Bergman, Moev and Skinny Puppy among Canadian (and in these cases, all Vancouver) bands :thumbsup:

I've liked them since they broke through all those years ago...Bobcaygeon always gets me homesick for Ontario.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I had tickets to see The Allman Brothers at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park. Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident and I never got another opportunity to see them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A football gig - New Yeas Day 2011 @ Withdean.

I didn't realise the Albion's match had been made early lunchtime, so was busy installing a new desktop PC home, expecting to watch the game at 3.

I missed Albion 5 - 0 Orient. Gutting.

Another football gig.

Brighton And Hove Albion v Manchester United. 21st May 1983 at Wembley Stadium :down:

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
The redskins, my new girlfriend wanted to see working week that day. Gutted, but girlfriend went on to wife. Can't win them all!

Buzzcocks at top rank suite the night the fans stormed the stage. I can't remember why I didn't go.

Ken Dodd a year before he died, wasn't a fan, but was intrigued by his legendary 5 hour gigs. I forgot I had tickets ��

Paul Draper this year at the haunt. I thought better of it due my ever worsening tinnitus

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Pretty sure that was the RFH. He certainly played there in the 90s and punters weren't allowed to leave the hall and come back - which was unlike any jazz band I've ever been to. Don't want to rub it in, but it was a great gig!

The only concert that I've missed though I had tickets was Franco at the Hammersmith Palais. The gig was cancelled because Franco had died the day before - pretty good excuse I reckon.

I think it was ‘93 looking at Google and based on my movements around the country. Don Cherry would have been playing then. Thankfully I did see him in 2005.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
We had tickets to see Ornette Coleman at either the Barbican or RFH. We left at our usual time in the afternoon and had a terrible journey but not one where we thought we should give up. Let’s keep going we thought, we might catch the second set. So despite the hold ups we battled on into the city. Anyway, to cut a long story we parked up, ran to the venue and up the stairs to hear riotous cheers and thunderous applause. The venue steward let us in only to see Ornette and his band leave the stage having finished their encore.
/QUOTE]
I was lucky enough to see Ornette at the Dome in the early 1960's. On another occasion John Coltrane played there. During the 60s the Dome was well served by Jazz and Rock/Pop artists and bands.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
/QUOTE]
I was lucky enough to see Ornette at the Dome in the early 1960's. On another occasion John Coltrane played there. During the 60s the Dome was well served by Jazz and Rock/Pop artists and bands.

Jealous.
Did you see Coltrane?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here