Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gerry Ryan in the Albion all time top 50?

Gerry in the Albion top 50 GOAT?

• yes

Votes: 30 78.9%
  • no

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
At this sad time. something a tad more positive.

Talking to a senior club figure yesterday who stated he thought Gerry Ryan would comfortably be in the Albion top 50 of all time, to which I agreed, but elsewhere on this forum, my learned friend One Teddy Maybank has questioned this?

So is or isn't he?

The RIP thread had some lovely posts but what's your abiding footballing memory of our man from Dublin?

For me its his contribution to the golden Alan Mullery era, including the goal against European Champions Notts Forest, his solo strike at the Goldstone against City in Dec 1979, then later his cup goals against Liverpool in 83 and 84, and the fact he was one of the nicest pro footballers I've ever met I can't myself think off hand of 49 better Albion players than him, so he's in (y)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
At this sad time. something a tad more positive.

Talking to a senior club figure yesterday who stated he thought Gerry Ryan would comfortably be in the Albion top 50 of all time, to which I agreed, but elsewhere on this forum, my learned friend One Teddy Maybank has questioned this?

So is or isn't he?

The RIP thread had some lovely posts but what's your abiding footballing memory of our man from Dublin?

For me its his contribution to the golden Alan Mullery era, including the goal against European Champions Notts Forest, his solo strike at the Goldstone against City in Dec 1979, then later his cup goals against Liverpool in 83 and 84, ...
Yes. And although they're ten-a-penny now he was one of a select few players who won full international caps whilst playing for Brighton.

It's probably an age thing, but yes, a legend and certainly a top-50 player in my book. I loved watching him play. I can quite understand the younger fans voting 'no' though.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’m trying to be as objective as I can here. He scored some iconic goals and on his day was unstoppable.
I think it’s a very difficult question to answer but I’ve looked at it this way.
Of the team that were promoted to the old first division I think he was below Ward, Horton and Lawrenson. They were the stand out players who IMO would be in the top 50.
Then there was Fozzie, Michael Robinson, Jimmy Case and Gordon Smith who I think were the stand out players from the 80-83 team.
There were more in previous eras to that. Not many between say 1995 and 1999. Many more thereafter and we now have numerous internationals. I know there’s recent bias as well.
So I think he may be in the top 50 but it would probably be close.
Sorry for the unemotional ramblings!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The iconic nature of his goals against Forest, Citeh and the bindippers (twice), plus the fact that he was a full international while playing for us, gets him in the top 50. He can have Trossard's place if it's a tight call.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
It’s a subjective subject, and it’s definitely a YES from me. ⚽😎

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No from me, as per @Lenny Rider comment.

Good player on his day, but a fair few better before and after. Some iconic goals though as well as @Seagull58 highlights.

If you think we’ve had some great players during The Amex era alone, that would push Gerry down the pecking order IMO.

Memories wise……. home debut vs ?Preston, goal vs Liverpool in the cup and of course the City mazy dribble.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've never heard the song sung all that way, but based on one to eleven, I think that all fifty might be Peter Ward.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Never saw him play so can't comment. But I imagine pretty much all of our current 25 man squad must be in our top 50 ever. Plus Trossard / White / MacAllister / Bissouma/ Caicedo / Cucurella / anyone else I've forgotten that we sold recently. So there aren't that many places left.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How many players have there been?

Top fifty would need to be very good, as they would include most of the current and recent squads.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Don't know if Gerry was one of the all time top 50 players for the Albion as I only started attending matches in the 69-70 season and also as far as I am concerned you can't compare players from different eras as they were all of their time and playing in different sides and circumstances .
He was though without doubt though one of my favorite players of the Albion side during those late 70's early 80's years and I was very sad to hear of his passing at a still young age of 68 . Was at Selhurst the evening he had his playing career finished and won't forget the ovation the home fans gave Henry Hughton for what he had done . RIP

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Bit late to this thread, so many great memories of Gerry, like his wonder goal against Man City. I clearly remember a section of the crowd near me on the West Terrace screaming "for Christ sake pass the ball Ryan" as his mazy run got longer and longer, followed by a short stunned silence as the ball hit the back of the net and then everyone bouncing up and down cheering what a fantastic player he was, some things never change :lolol:
Another game (can't remember which one), Gerry came on as sub and immediately got clattered by their Centre Half going up for a high ball and went off with a bloody nose. A quick wipe from the trainers magic sponge and Gerry sprinted back on to the pitch and promptly got booked for not waiting for the Ref's permission. :lolol:
A total Albion legend, RIP Gerry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here