Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] George Foreman Grill

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aren't all the 'just get a griddle pan' posters missing the point of a foreman grill? It's the health benefits of the slant in the griddle allowing excess fat to run off, whereas the pan results in the food sitting in the fat. (Plus cooking from both directions halves the cooking time).

I'm not going to argue against the taste benefits of allowing food to wallow in delicious, delicious fat, but if you're looking for quicker, healthier food, and are looking at the foreman grill, suggestions of a griddle pan seem unnecessary, especially given the OP also notes they are using an airfryer (another fat reducing tool).

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Aren't all the 'just get a griddle pan' posters missing the point of a foreman grill? It's the health benefits of the slant in the griddle allowing excess fat to run off, whereas the pan results in the food sitting in the fat. (Plus cooking from both directions halves the cooking time).

I'm not going to argue against the taste benefits of allowing food to wallow in delicious, delicious fat, but if you're looking for quicker, healthier food, and are looking at the foreman grill, suggestions of a griddle pan seem unnecessary, especially given the OP also notes they are using an airfryer (another fat reducing tool).

Most of the fat comes out if you use a frying pan anyway. Fat isn't inherently bad for you and contains a lot of important nutrients.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Most of the fat comes out if you use a frying pan anyway. Fat isn't inherently bad for you and contains a lot of important nutrients.

Hard to make a decent toastie on a frying pan :thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hard to make a decent toastie on a frying pan :thumbsup:

Naaah, much easier IMHO.

Put mayo on the outside of two slices of white bread, grated cheese in the middle.
Whack in a frying pan at medium-high heat.
Turn over after a couple of minutes, pressing down with spatular if you want the squashed look.
Minimal washing up and perfect toasties.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

The ridges on a griddle pan should be more than high enough to keep the fat away, with or without a slope.
Alternatively, just trim a bit of the fat off before slapping it onto the grill.

The 'health benefits' of a slanted, George Foreman-style grill are massively misunderstood in my view.

Your view is that griddle pans 'seem unnecessary' - my view is that spending £100+ on something that achieves nothing more than a £30 device is daft.

We will have to agree to differ :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The ridges on a griddle pan should be more than high enough to keep the fat away, with or without a slope.
Alternatively, just trim a bit of the fat off before slapping it onto the grill.

The 'health benefits' of a slanted, George Foreman-style grill are massively misunderstood in my view.

Your view is that griddle pans 'seem unnecessary' - my view is that spending £100+ on something that achieves nothing more than a £30 device is daft.

Ha ha this could end up in the bearpit:)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Foreman grill now gathering dust. Real pain to clean and good skillet pan can do job just as easy. Up there with ice cream makers, at dad makers and sandwich toasters that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Did some work in a charity shop once. The only electrical items that there were more of donated than this type of thing were foot spas. Mostly hardly used and sold for around £5 (not the foot spas, they generally ended up in recycling).

If you want one OP then I suggest you check the local Oxfam or Barnardos before spending a decent amount on a new one.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So I'm hovering over the buy button on a few items for the household from Currys, my company have a discount scheme with them.

I'm the main cook anyway so it could benefit me. Looking at the Foreman Evolve Precision and also the Ninja multi pressure cooker and air fryer.

Used an air fryer for years and happy with it, though its now getting hard to keep clean.

The good and wise people of NSC good help in my next purchase.

Ninja .

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
Not a fan of the George Foreman Grill as when you cook a steak, you need a red hot pan & it does not rise to a high enough temperature so tends to kind of boil as appose to sizzle.

I did read once that Hulk Hogan turned down the chance of it being the face of the "Lean Mean Grilling Machine"
................. bet he regrets that now!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I didn't say a griddle pan is unnecessary. I said the suggestion of a griddle pan when someone is looking at a foreman grill and has indicated with other purchases an inclination to lower fat consumption is unnecessary. Like popping onto a thread about whether to get an iPhone 12 pro or iPhone 12 pro max and suggesting getting a Galaxy s20. Nothing wrong with a galaxy s20, but the thread was about an iphone.

Nothing wrong with a griddle pan (I have one instead of a foreman grill), but not necessary for the thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Griddle pan is cheaper, easier to clean and cooks most things better (and no less healthy). GF Grill doesn’t get hot enough for steaks etc for me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I decided against it. Bought some new saucepans though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here