Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 Official Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I haven't bothered to look at any manifesto, partly for the reasons you explain. The media has over the years become obsessed about what is an aspiration and what is a commitment, knowing full well that all of it is an aspiration (unless a party is so foolhardy that they will collapse the building just to fulfill a promise to touch a ceiling that is out of reach). But if it isn't a 'commitment' then the media will call it a hollow promise by a party that can't be trusted.

I'm going to vote based on my what I think I understand about the lay of the land, plus my prejudices which are fully loaded now in favour of Labour and against the toryshambles.
Manifestoes are most usually released when the election is declared, and we move in to the official campaign (usually six weeks). This is why those that are regularly decrying the lack of such a document from Labour is a somewhat disingenuous position to adopt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Manifestoes are most usually released when the election is declared, and we move in to the official campaign (usually six weeks). This is why those that are regularly decrying the lack of such a document from Labour is a somewhat disingenuous position to adopt.
Indeed. And it was not entirely obvious in Thatcher's manifesto that her plans were mainly to finish off the unions and privatise everything.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
We'll I can assure everyone that the Unions are very much alive and kicking, train travel to The Amex and Chelsea proving the point.

Once Sir Starmer gets the keys, I fully expect their power to increase significantly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The most depressing yet bleedingly obvious thing about this report is that back in the 1960s there was parity in political engagement between those in different categories of wealth. In the 1960s, the inequality range was low and narrowing on a clear trajectory. Subsequently it's high, growing and on a clear trajectory. And look what happens as a result:

This was an unintended effect of the Thatcher years. She was tolerated by tories who sneered at her provincial vulgarity and battiness, but went on the ride, surely aware that there was a 'rebalancing' beginning, where the featherbedding of the great unwashed was at an end, and an opportunity for those who rule to be able to spend more agreeable time with their money appearing on the horizon.

And also, to give the old bat the credit, the entrepreneurs were given their wings. A pity so many of them turned out to be shysters and charlatans.

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Tories have been incredibly successful at convincing the intellectually challenged to vote against their own interests.

I notice the Murdoch press praising Farage today after I'm a Celeb, you can see where the next phase is heading....
Yep.

I posted a few days ago about my cleaner's reply to my comment about my foreign students paying £15K plus a year to study being f***ed about. Her reply "well they bring all their families over".

(they don't. Unless they want to visit. They are all relatively rich).

Ironically my cleaner has had cancer and been treated by the NHS (awash with foreign staff). She is likely to have a relapse (that kind of cancer). I hope her treatment won't be delayed like mine has (spinal cyst and the mere loss of sensation in my right leg) due to staff shortages. Exclusively due to staff shortages. Because we are Keeping The Foreign Buggers Out. Even the ones who want to work in the NHS. To fill all those vacancies.

But once the intellectually challenged have made up their minds, there is no turning (because turning is not for ladies or gentlemen, no sir).

Incidentally, those who don't like to discuss politics.....like Mrs T's aunt....its because they don't like the reaction to their ****ish views. Mrs T's aunt was visibly shocked when I suggested that her stated reason for voting Brexit (hoards of lesbian muslim terrorsist with dozens of relatives illegally stealing our jobs and simultaneously going on the dole) may in fact not necessarily be justified. But Mrs T's aunt doesn't like to discuss politics, so we moved on. The begonias are doing so well. Innit. :shootself

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep.

I posted a few days ago about my cleaner's reply to my comment about my foreign students paying £15K plus a year to study being f***ed about. Her reply "well they bring all their families over".

(they don't. Unless they want to visit. They are all relatively rich).

Ironically my cleaner has had cancer and been treated by the NHS (awash with foreign staff). She is likely to have a relapse (that kind of cancer). I hope her treatment won't be delayed like mine has (spinal cyst and the mere loss of sensation in my right leg) due to staff shortages. Exclusively due to staff shortages. Because we are Keeping The Foreign Buggers Out. Even the ones who want to work in the NHS. To fill all those vacancies.

But once the intellectually challenged have made up their minds, there is no turning (because turning is not for ladies or gentlemen, no sir).

Incidentally, those who don't like to discuss politics.....like Mrs T's aunt....its because they don't like the reaction to their ****ish views. Mrs T's aunt was visibly shocked when I suggested that her stated reason for voting Brexit (hoards of lesbian muslim terrorsist with dozens of relatives illegally stealing our jobs and simultaneously going on the dole) may in fact not necessarily be justified. But Mrs T's aunt doesn't like to discuss politics, so we moved on. The begonias are doing so well. Innit. :shootself
Looking at the stats it's clear that the majority come to work or study. The highest study group is from China and the area most likely for workers is the NHS. Asylum seekers make up the smallest percentage. I can only assume that the increase in numbers from outside the EU is down to the decrease from within. We need these folks.

It seems that government is shooting itself in the foot in its bid to please ignorant understanding and, of course the media.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching some strange film reel when I see the news. It's like few of us are actually connected to what is happening. Yet somehow the ones in the film are actually those who are disconnected from reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here