Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker to step back from presenting MOTD

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use - BBC statement.
It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.
In a tweet, the presenter had compared the language used by the government to set out its plan to "that used by Germany in the 30s".

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’ve posted twice that Braverman’s rhetoric was also the worst thing. I also said that the ramping up of language by both sides leads to a polarisation of views.

I hope I’m right, I really don’t see Albanians or Romanians being beaten up and murdered over this. We’re a fair country (the people, courts, charities, systems to help UK entrants), to me that outweighs the malicious intent by a few knuckle-draggers.

The Germany so seeds was a mass, organised campaign by huge political parties and right wing Prussian power brokers to hate others. Have a look at their evil posters, portraying ethnic groups as subhuman. We’ll have to agree to disagree, I think 1930’s Germany did not look remotely like 2023 UK. Italy, Germany and Sweden have hugely accelerated their deportations of all Albanians and others, often in a very swift manner. Are we saying that they’re also acting like 1930’s Germany?
Yes, it was that. But 'the centre' took sides, and facilitated Hitler's rise to power.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bullshit. He criticised the government and must be silenced. If you don't think that's scary then in my opinion there's something wrong.
Calm down dear. You become part of the problem by citing extremes in an effort to “to win the internet” (as Bozza so beautifully wrote).

Nobody is being silenced. The Tories aren’t the Nazis. Braverman shouldn’t be Home Secretary. And Gary’s been a fool. About the sum of it really. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BBC is great, but it needs to sort itself out.

What ever your view on lockdown, we had 2 years of zero questioning from the BBC

Two years more or less of young, healthy folk being kept prisoner. Kids deprived of social contact and a proper education. The leaked Hancock information has revealed so much.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The knuckle dragger in Merseyside, now on remand, police did a good job.

Widening the discussion, the heat out of all this (and we would not have left the EU) would’ve been dealt with, if new homes had been built to meet the 10m population increase from 1997 to 2023, 300k of which is annual net migration … even now. Shelter say we need 3m new homes, now.

This creates tensions.

Easy to come across hypocrisy, folk who want no check to migration, yet argue against the mass house building programme needed.
Great book by Liam Halligan called Home Truths on the crisis over the lack of homes being built across all sectors….this government and previous ones over the last 30 odd years have failed miserably

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Which is why those of us who used to trust the BBC for impartiality are shouting the loudest.
I caught them out in a report from Calais in 2015, as I had been in Calais just three hours earlier. I emailed them to complain but was fobbed off.

The Tories have their own chairman in situ, and Gibb who was Comms for May, so they dictate policy at the Beeb.
Weaponising impartiality, we all do it. I do. But when tempers calm down…Btw, I wrote to BBC once and never got a reply. Didn’t read more into it than they probably get thousands such letters and didn’t have time to respond.

Anyway, checking out for tonight. Made points. Pretty fairly I think.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Made his opinions clear, and gave his money to the victims families?

Sanctimonious and hollow claptrap.

Again, his opinions were endorsed by the BBC.

Did the BBC make a donation? Did you expect them to?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Screenshot_20230310_210805_Google.jpg

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The knuckle dragger in Merseyside, now on remand, police did a good job.

Widening the discussion, the heat out of all this (and we would not have left the EU) would’ve been dealt with, if new homes had been built to meet the 10m population increase from 1997 to 2023, 300k of which is annual net migration … even now. Shelter say we need 3m new homes, now.

This creates tensions.

Easy to come across hypocrisy, folk who want no check to migration, yet argue against the mass house building programme needed.
so how do these people get these ideas in their heads, as TB states above, attacking the RNLI?!

our politicians using inciteful language, corrupting the public broadcaster, how much more damage are they going to create? it's a long time to the GE, so individuals are having to make a stand and they are the bad guys?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One of my favourite songs, 'Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards' has the line 'Mixing pop and politics he asks me what the use is
I offer him embarrassment and my usual excuses'.
Love the song, love the sentiment.

ROBS BROTHER

Jan 27, 2022
You need to do a touch more research into the situation my friendI don't think we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We are simply two supporters of BHA
There were some inferred questions in my post Why do people want to come here? and why do they seek to do so illegally? Or I am I to assume that you are in favour of totally unregulated immigration. Good luck with selling that as a policy. Obviously you must subscribe to the sort of rubbish that Lineker tweets whereas contrary to what he says the Uk has the second largest immigration in Europe after Germany

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No presenters or pundits tomorrow 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here