Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Games against the "Big 6"

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't be many teams who after 21 games have played 8 of the 12 games against the "big 6" including all of the away games. Not a bad record so far and could have been much better.

Home P2 W1 D1 L0 F4 A1
Away P6 W1 D0 L5 F5 A14

Overall P8 W2 D1 L5 F9 A15

An average of more than a goal a game and 7 points from 8 games with all remaining games at home. Remember the threads about when we would get our first goal against a big team?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Can't be many teams who after 21 games have played 8 of the 12 games against the "big 6" including all of the away games. Not a bad record so far and could have been much better.

Home P2 W1 D1 L0 F4 A1
Away P6 W1 D0 L5 F5 A14

Overall P8 W2 D1 L5 F9 A15

An average of more than a goal a game and 7 points from 8 games with all remaining games at home. Remember the threads about when we would get our first goal against a big team?

Being able to pick up 10 points against the top 6 would be an amazing achievement but it's our form against the other 14 that matters most. I genuinely cannot wait to see us next season in the premier league after a 2nd summer transfer window under Potter

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Who are the Big 6 this season.

The big 6 of recent seasons. Quite a few of them are getting battered left right and centre this season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hughton in his first season in the Prem took 7 points.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

The big 6 of recent seasons. Quite a few of them are getting battered left right and centre this season.
Exactly I was commenting on spurs the other day on this board and one of their fans were defending them saying they are a decent outfit. From what I've seen this season they are absolutely attrocius.

There's only a top 3 this season and the rest are pretty average including Chelsea.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I guess it's the teams who consistently spend £60m to £80m+ on individual players each transfer market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hughton in his first season in the Prem took 7 points.

And I think we can be proud than under Hughton and Potter we've been competitive in many more of these games than other non established Premier League teams. One sided stuffings have been comparatively rare. This year we've picked up the results in these games that we have deserved but not been quite ready to get in previous years

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And I think we can be proud than under Hughton and Potter we've been competitive in many more of these games than other non established Premier League teams. One sided stuffings have been comparatively rare. This year we've picked up the results in these games that we have deserved but not been quite ready to get in previous years

Only downside is that Leicester are taking on the role of a big 6 club this season, and we've yet to play them away. To a lesser extent Wolves too. I quite fancy picking up a point or two or three (any more would be just greedy - and unlikely) against the big 6 ....................... but Leicester and Wolves away? Hmmmm................

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Ham spend large amounts on individual players (not sure if £60m though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the others have done, whether it be the millions over paid for slab-head, Pepe and the fella at Spurs who might not actually exist.

You've got over £225,000,000 in those 3 transfers alone.

Underdog's Leicester probably have to combine 2 transfers in order to get to £80m, poor them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Only downside is that Leicester are taking on the role of a big 6 club this season, and we've yet to play them away. To a lesser extent Wolves too. I quite fancy picking up a point or two or three (any more would be just greedy - and unlikely) against the big 6 ....................... but Leicester and Wolves away? Hmmmm................

You're right. The big 6 aren't the best 6 any more.

The two teams you quoted, Leicester and Wolves were easily better than Chelsea, just on performances at the Amex. I think we'll probably lose both away games, yes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Ham spend large amounts on individual players (not sure if £60m though).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Soccerbase £45m of their £55m spend went on Haller.

So that's 'big spending' West Ham's Summer transfer dealings dwarfed by 1 signing at each of Arsenal Spurs & Utd.

City had 2 £60+m transfers.

Liverpool none, actually making £35m in the last window.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Today was arguably the first time we've actually got something from one of the big boys who are not in any current crisis. Whilst the point is fair and the stats back it up, the longer the game went on, the more likely it appeared we would win. We've played good football and contributed to games this season as well, not just nicked it.

we are improving as the season goes on and successfully using a squad, as opposed to a team, to do it. It's highly encouraging, often exciting and extremely satisfying, especially after last season, and even more so after the 1990's!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Today was arguably the first time we've actually got something from one of the big boys who are not in any current crisis. Whilst the point is fair and the stats back it up, the longer the game went on, the more likely it appeared we would win. We've played good football and contributed to games this season as well, not just nicked it.

we are improving as the season goes on and successfully using a squad, as opposed to a team, to do it. It's highly encouraging, often exciting and extremely satisfying, especially after last season, and even more so after the 1990's!

Agree. You could argue though that we had an extra days rest than them in such a short space of time and the amount played recently, I thought it showed in the last 20

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agree. You could argue though that we had an extra days rest than them in such a short space of time and the amount played recently, I thought it showed in the last 20

I think we've used our squad more wisely. Mooy was clearly fatigued, AJ came on fresh and chomping at the bit. Likewise Connolly for Bissouma and you might say Bernardo for BDB, all against a quicker stronger group of players

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s refreshing and a massive advancement for our club that we don’t have to write off these big games anymore.

We can beat Spurs and Arsenal on our day. And very nearly did with Chelsea. Not to mention almost snatching something at Anfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here